+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: ICT on Friday - title decider

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    So, after all the debating over the last few weeks, Powers goes off, United start to look much more threatening, score and win.

I rest my case M,Lud.
    i didn't really wanna comment on him cos many think he's being singled out but yeah, Harkes came on and went forward with the ball and made a big difference. A guy in the East stand kinda lost it with Powers before half time as a pass was being made to him and before he received the ball he actually looked behind him to see if he could pass it back rather than forward.

As I, and many others on here have repeatedly said, Powers is not ‘scheite’. Has his style of play being introduced into a winning team brought about a slower, more turgid approach though? Yes, yes and yes again. It should be Butcher or Powers. Not both.
    totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Can't disagree with you more, on all of that, I know you didn't like the Butcher signing but he was very good before he left towards the end and was a big miss in the relegation season, has been the best signing we made last January and but for shanks exploits would be stick on player of the year, he is also clearly better at cm than cb, and he is quite clearly better than powers and I could say that seeing powers just once and nothing he has shown since changes that

Opinions and that.
    i agree shedka

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Agree with some of this. Butcher is decent at this level. Was never convinced by him first time round however, and he had two of his worst games of the season vs Premiership Hibs, especially the away tie where he gave away the pen and contributed to another goal. Time will tell how he fares second time round in the big league. He's more than good enough for us in the Championship though.
    I liked him first time around, we missed that dig the season we got relegated

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    I liked him first time around, we missed that dig the season we got relegated
    He couldn't get a game in midfield for Paton and Rankine. I'd say when Paton got injured during our relegation season that was a bigger blow. Butcher played what 20 odd games for us in 2 seasons and probably half of that in defence so I'm not really sure what folk are basing his pedigree on for us in his 1st time around. Totally underwhelmed when he re-signed for us and still am. Love his attitude and he clearly loves the club but he's just no very good. That's my opinion

I think its very important to have players in the squad who are not actually very good at football but have an amazing effect on the rest of the players with their attitude and character's.Players like Connolly and Butcher are always gonna get slated ability wise but they would like the die hard fans actually put their life on the line for the cause and i am not exaggerating.

I think Butcher is a very good footballer

I think Powers displays against Hibs indicated he's going to be a very good player for us in the top flight. Our midfield will need to be much stronger in the top league than it needs to be in most matches at the moment.

So, after all the debating over the last few weeks, Powers goes off, United start to look much more threatening, score and win.

I rest my case M,Lud.
    Not seen the whole game yet, but im sure it was a double substitution?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Not seen the whole game yet, but im sure it was a double substitution?
    Yes it was. McMullen came on at the same time as Harkes. I want to re-emphasise again that Powers is a tidy enough player and I also wish to re-emphasise again that there will be games next season where we will be up against better opposition where keeping it tight and keeping possession will be the order of the day. Powers will have a big part to play in such matches. However, games like last night and recently v Alloa, Morton and Arbroath, slowing it down, playing sidey-sidey football with little penetration plays right into the hands of teams designed to sit in and keep disciplined banks of four and five. It wasn’t the only factor but Powers style played a heavy role in the failure to win the matches prior to last night and his substitution last night played a significant part in getting the win.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)