+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodrow

Tek the best two or three players from our team by selling them, replace by overseas youngsters, and we are nowhere near a given to bounce back out of the Third Division.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Tek the best two or three players from our team by selling them, replace by overseas youngsters, and we are nowhere near a given to bounce back out of the Third Division.

I agree SB. Last time we were relegated we held onto all bar Bradshaw who was replaced by Woodrow. In keeping Mowatt, Moore, Davies, Pinnock and Potts (while Jan) we had a good spine for league 1 which gave us a platform to mount a promotion charge. We also brought in Dougall to strengthen that spine.

Should we be relegated this season then I think the key players like Woodrow, Mowatt, Chaplain and Brown could well be on their way out of the club leaving us low on match winning quality. The defence will remain the same because there'll not be any interest from other clubs. It's a case of back to the drawing board. Getting back up will be a tough ask in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I agree SB. Last time we were relegated we held onto all bar Bradshaw who was replaced by Woodrow. In keeping Mowatt, Moore, Davies, Pinnock and Potts (while Jan) we had a good spine for league 1 which gave us a platform to mount a promotion charge. We also brought in Dougall to strengthen that spine.

Should we be relegated this season then I think the key players like Woodrow, Mowatt, Chaplain and Brown could well be on their way out of the club leaving us low on match winning quality. The defence will remain the same because there'll not be any interest from other clubs. It's a case of back to the drawing board. Getting back up will be a tough ask in my opinion.
    It might seem a big task but Dougall type players are ten a penny in League's 1 and 2. Why we had to scour Europe for him is beyond me. Ritzcracker might get the gig in front of the back four and Mcgeehan may well be back.

I'm more excited to see how Styles gets on playing week in, week out. I think we've got a good one there. I think midfield diamond would be Styles, Thomas, Mcgeehan and Bahre. With Schmidt and probably Chaplin up front.

Undoubtedly, new players would be drafted in. However, we have Sibbick, Wilks, Mcgeehan and Green which in my view will be valuable assets in League 1 should Mowatt, Chaplin, Mowatt and Brown be sold.

It's all if's but i can't see everyone being allowed to leave.

Players will not be happy taking the relegation clause drop in wages and will look forra move. A could see McGeehan and Wilks stopping weear they are if Portsmouth and Hull put in bids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    It might seem a big task but Dougall type players are ten a penny in League's 1 and 2. Why we had to scour Europe for him is beyond me. Ritzcracker might get the gig in front of the back four and Mcgeehan may well be back.

I'm more excited to see how Styles gets on playing week in, week out. I think we've got a good one there. I think midfield diamond would be Styles, Thomas, Mcgeehan and Bahre. With Schmidt and probably Chaplin up front.

Undoubtedly, new players would be drafted in. However, we have Sibbick, Wilks, Mcgeehan and Green which in my view will be valuable assets in League 1 should Mowatt, Chaplin, Mowatt and Brown be sold.

It's all if's but i can't see everyone being allowed to leave.
    Tha meks a good point about the squad players we have coming back in Steve. I haven't seen Styles bar his 45 mins against Birmingham but given a good run of games he could show us what he can do. What worries me with the midfield diamond you suggested is that it looks a bit timid. As we know, league one is physical and those players bar Mcgeehan are found wanting in the physical department.

I wouldn't say players like Dougall are ten a penny. I think he's good enough to play in the championship. He was quite experienced when we signed him(25 years old) and as tha knows we dunt tend to sign players of that age normally. Personally I'd keep him on if possible, he's far more consistent than Bahre, adds more balance to the midfield and has an assured calming influence amongst the youthful whirl wind of uncertainty. An all round better bet in my eyes. Just my opinion mate.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Tha meks a good point about the squad players we have coming back in Steve. I haven't seen Styles bar his 45 mins against Birmingham but given a good run of games he could show us what he can do. What worries me with the midfield diamond you suggested is that it looks a bit timid. As we know, league one is physical and those players bar Mcgeehan are found wanting in the physical department.

I wouldn't say players like Dougall are ten a penny. I think he's good enough to play in the championship. He was quite experienced when we signed him(25 years old) and as tha knows we dunt tend to sign players of that age normally. Personally I'd keep him on if possible, he's far more consistent than Bahre, adds more balance to the midfield and has an assured calming influence amongst the youthful whirl wind of uncertainty. An all round better bet in my eyes. Just my opinion mate.
    I think Animal made a good point about owners though Woodrow, Chaplin, Brown and Mowatt might be their last big payday unless some of the squad players kick on next season choose which division we're in.

I'd say the model does work in League 1 because we're a bigger club and seen as a stepping stone to greater things.

If we sell Woodrow amicably it would attract a replacement of similar ilk. Don't ask me who brcause as you know I've taken a back seat from day to day football last few seasons mate.

There's been many much bigger clubs than us thrown serious money at it and not got promotion in 2 or 3 seasons.
    We won't be throwing serious money at it so I'm not quite as confident as you.
    Our owners seemed indifferent last January when a couple of signings could have clinched the title.
    Instead they let us sweat with one fit striker for the second half of the season.
    Only Sunderland & Portsmouth's shocking form let us limp over the line.
    They made no attempt in the summer to prepare us for the Championship, and even less effort this January.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I think Animal made a good point about owners though Woodrow, Chaplin, Brown and Mowatt might be their last big payday unless some of the squad players kick on next season choose which division we're in.

I'd say the model does work in League 1 because we're a bigger club and seen as a stepping stone to greater things.

If we sell Woodrow amicably it would attract a replacement of similar ilk. Don't ask me who brcause as you know I've taken a back seat from day to day football last few seasons mate.
    Tyler Walker would be my shout .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Do you think I'd be realistic if I said he should be going no where in the summer and should be offered an extension to his current deal ?

Every Barnsley board in the past historically would be selling Cauley Woodrow this summer .

C'mon Jules let's see this for what it is mate .

Massive difference selling players like Woodrow when relegated as oppose to the spine of the team when promoted or 7th in the championship in January .
    I actually think the spine will be sold again. Unfortunately.
    No evidence to suggest otherwise..... and plenty to suggest it will. Mowatt, Chaplin, Woodrow, and perhaps a few more will get restless, and feed the usual” we can’t hold players back if a great offer comes in.” Your right though, if they’ll sell the spine when promoted... they won’t Hesitate to cash in at the end of this.
    And if the cycle of ownership is as folk think... once the profits have been gleaned at the ends of this season, and they’ve made back the money they bought the club for they’ll be off.
    Last edited by Jules88; 17-02-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    And if the cycle of ownership is as folk think... once the profits have been gleaned at the ends of this season, and they’ve made back the money they bought the club for they’ll be off.
    We live in hope.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast