+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodrow

Woodrow

Does anyone know his contract with us ? Has he 2 yrs left @ BFC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Does anyone know his contract with us ? Has he 2 yrs left @ BFC ?
    All I know is that he's just over a year in to his current deal as he was signed initially on loan .

Could possibly have 23 months still remaining as you say .

So your looking at 18 months left in the summer which helps the club rather more than just 12 months left as we experienced with Pinnock .

Time for the club to step up and get top dollar for the lad , if he hits 20 championship goals in a relegated team you should in this market be looking at proper serious money .

Then again it entirely depends on who wants him .

A relegated PL club would be the best bet for us , somebody like West Ham or Bournemouth for instance would be perfect , a need to get some of their top earners out of the club but still a bob or two with parachute money .

If West Ham or Bournemouth came calling I'd want £10m if Bristol City are the only show in town you'd do well to get £5m for the lad .

He signed a 3yr deal in January 2019 and the club has an option on a further year

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    All I know is that he's just over a year in to his current deal as he was signed initially on loan .

Could possibly have 23 months still remaining as you say .

So your looking at 18 months left in the summer which helps the club rather more than just 12 months left as we experienced with Pinnock .

Time for the club to step up and get top dollar for the lad , if he hits 20 championship goals in a relegated team you should in this market be looking at proper serious money .

Then again it entirely depends on who wants him .

A relegated PL club would be the best bet for us , somebody like West Ham or Bournemouth for instance would be perfect , a need to get some of their top earners out of the club but still a bob or two with parachute money .

If West Ham or Bournemouth came calling I'd want £10m if Bristol City are the only show in town you'd do well to get £5m for the lad .
    I’m confused...... You say it’s “time for the club to get top dollar”? But we all criticise the club for selling assets last time we went down..... We both know that even if £10m was gleaned that it won’t be used to buy a costly or adequate replacement... so why not keep him and play him in league one?
    The brass will go into pockets of the owners anyway.

The owners will always sell him to fund the ongoing day to day running of the club, as everyone says... they won’t put brass in..... so what’s the point of getting top dosh? May as well keep him until Jan 2021, then sell.

We can’t criticise for selling talent.... and then say “ Get top dollar” because even if they get top dollar....it won’t improve our progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I’m confused...... You say it’s “time for the club to get top dollar”? But we all criticise the club for selling assets last time we went down..... We both know that even if £10m was gleaned that it won’t be used to buy a costly or adequate replacement... so why not keep him and play him in league one?

The owners will always sell him to fund the ongoing day to day running of the club, as everyone says... they won’t put brass in..... so what’s the point of getting top dosh? May as well keep him until Jan 2021, then sell.

We can’t criticise for selling talent.... and then say “ Get top dollar” because even if they get top dollar....it won’t improve our progression.
    Do you think I'd be realistic if I said he should be going no where in the summer and should be offered an extension to his current deal ?

Every Barnsley board in the past historically would be selling Cauley Woodrow this summer .

C'mon Jules let's see this for what it is mate .

Massive difference selling players like Woodrow when relegated as oppose to the spine of the team when promoted or 7th in the championship in January .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Do you think I'd be realistic if I said he should be going no where in the summer and should be offered an extension to his current deal ?

Every Barnsley board in the past historically would be selling Cauley Woodrow this summer .

C'mon Jules let's see this for what it is mate .

Massive difference selling players like Woodrow when relegated as oppose to the spine of the team when promoted or 7th in the championship in January .
    Neither of you have factored in the player might want to further his own career. It's not his fault we're heading for relegation. He is Championship quality in a team full of sh1te. I'd try and hang onto Chaplin.

A saw Scott Parker wi his arm rarnd Woodrow whispering in his ear as they walked off the pitch at Craven Cottage. Illa sed summat like, "Tha too good fo Third Division towing thi tripe art surrarnded by sum reyt sh1te, being paid bugger all. Get thissen darn 'ere next May".
    Last edited by SBRed48; 17-02-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    A saw Scott Parker wi his arm rarnd Woodrow whispering in his ear as they walked off the pitch at Craven Cottage. Illa sed summat like, "Tha too good fo Third Division towing thi tripe art surrarnded by sum reyt sh1te, being paid bugger all. Get thissen darn 'ere next May".
    Perhaps. The next ten games will decide that. I think we're down but it's a kind fixture list if they can keep pulling those types of performance out.

I think it was the fixture list that saved us in 2012/13 and made us in 15/16 too. Nice run of games against midtable sides just like we had around Christmas.

I think we blew it those three games against Charlton, Sheff Wed and Birmingham. Needed 5 points minimum there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post

I agree with most of what you've said Jules. If a player departed for a significant sum, the money should be reinvested in signings of a certain quality, hence us spending more money than we'd normally spend on new signings to improve the team.

The likelihood is that this won't happen with the owners citing day to day running costs and loss of TV revenue etc. Regardless of the incoming profit, the owners will probably spend more in line to what we spent last summer on more young low budget players, so whether we get 10m or 3m for a player isn't really going to improve the situation on the pitch.

However, as Ponte Steve has pointed art, thaz got to factor in the players ambition and ability. Personally I wouldn't begrudge a player like Woodrow a move. Why hold him back? He's done very well in a Barnsley shirt, especially this season when he's scored goals against the odds and he should be playing in the championship in my opinion. It's natural progression for the lad and his career. Listen mate I would love him here as much as the next Reds fan but we've got to appreciate that they only get one crack at a career and we apparently can't offer anywhere near the wages of the other championship clubs.

We've been told by the club in the summer that significant record breaking contract offers were made to Pinnock, Davies and Moore which were refused. Whether that is entirely true or not is debatable. I personally can't believe the stuff that comes out of their mouths. What it does tell me is that clubs budget clearly couldn't match the players ambition.

How will that ever change unless the owners are prepared to either invest their own money or use surplus transfer profits from departing players to pay the necessary wages and actually get us established at championship level.

We are operating financially as a league one club and while ever we operate like that then that's all that we'll ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I agree with most of what you've said Jules. If a player departed for a significant sum, the money should be reinvested in signings of a certain quality, hence us spending more money than we'd normally spend on new signings to improve the team.

The likelihood is that this won't happen with the owners citing day to day running costs and loss of TV revenue etc. Regardless of the incoming profit, the owners will probably spend more in line to what we spent last summer on more young low budget players, so whether we get 10m or 3m for a player isn't really going to improve the situation on the pitch.

However, as Ponte Steve has pointed art, thaz got to factor in the players ambition and ability. Personally I wouldn't begrudge a player like Woodrow a move. Why hold him back? He's done very well in a Barnsley shirt, especially this season when he's scored goals against the odds and he should be playing in the championship in my opinion. It's natural progression for the lad and his career. Listen mate I would love him here as much as the next Reds fan but we've got to appreciate that they only get one crack at a career and we apparently can't offer anywhere near the wages of the other championship clubs.

We've been told by the club in the summer that significant record breaking contract offers were made to Pinnock, Davies and Moore which were refused. Whether that is entirely true or not is debatable. I personally can't believe the stuff that comes out of their mouths. What it does tell me is that clubs budget clearly couldn't match the players ambition.

How will that ever change unless the owners are prepared to either invest their own money or use surplus transfer profits from departing players to pay the necessary wages and actually get us established at championship level.

We are operating financially as a league one club and while ever we operate like that then that's all that we'll ever be.
    Nail hit firmly on it's head there Pass! The owners are running a model where at least 1 out of every 3 seasons (or 1 in 2 if we're "lucky") will be in the championship. We buy low value young players who have potential, excel in league 1 then put them in the shop window accordingly. The surplus cash is taken by the shareholders and everyone is happy. The core fan base is stable so we will continually be a big fish in league 1 and able to move back up repeatedly. The cycle will only change if we suddenly sit in league one for a few seasons and aren't able to attract any decent players at that level. Something I think is quite unlikely given our standing in the pyramid and the stature of the club. We have a reputation now for being a stepping stone so will continue to be that I'm sure

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast