+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Is Boris a mini Trump?

O/T:- Is Boris a mini Trump?

At today's press briefing about the trade talks with the EU at No 10 Downing Street, a number of reporters were denied entry to the meeting because of their previous stances. The entire cohort turned on their heel and left the meeting, including Laura Kuennsberg.
    Backed by Dominic Cummings, Johnson has forbidden all ministers from doing any interviews with Radio 4. Isn't this tantamount to a news blackout and an anti-democratic act?
    What would be your reaction if Neal Ardley banned certain journos from post match meetings because they had been critical of him in the past?
    The word is that the BBC will be asked to get rid of their 'impartiality clause' which demands they give balance to any political stories. Work that one out. The BBC's days are numbered but that won't cause many tears among the cavemen who inhabit NCM.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 03-02-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Not good at all. I'm pleased to see the other journos demonstrate solidarity. The BBC must never lose it's impartiality clause. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Not good at all. I'm pleased to see the other journos demonstrate solidarity. The BBC must never lose it's impartiality clause. Very sad.
    The impartiality clause does have some downside, if it's the same thing that leads to the BBC editorial decision that all viewpoints should be represented in all cases. Freedom of speech is great and all that, but it becomes an unhelpful distortion when you have something like climate change discussed between two people, when the weight of informed opinion is far, far from 50-50. If they can find a way of making it truly representative it would be far better.

Having said that... if you can't handle a critical free press, get out; you're not fit for the job. Mind you, there has been no sign at any previous point that Johnson is fit for the role anyway, so that's nothing new - but it doesn't seem to matter to the Great British public. Which tells you everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    The BBC's days are numbered but that won't cause many tears among the cavemen who inhabit NCM.
    I'm perfectly happy for the BBC to continue, but it can earn its own keep like other broadcasters have to do. It has lived in its own privileged bubble for far too long. The licence fee is a throwback to a bygone age and should have been scrapped several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'm perfectly happy for the BBC to continue, but it can earn its own keep like other broadcasters have to do. It has lived in its own privileged bubble for far too long. The licence fee is a throwback to a bygone age and should have been scrapped several years ago.
    The only way to do that is for the BBC to be funded by inane advertising like all the other channels.

I'd rather pay the licence fee than be constantly bombarded with the latest SCS double discount sale.

No surprise at what’s happened today. Kuennsberg and her colleagues have made a rod for their own backs though by passing on through social media briefings from anonymous government ‘sources’.

If you act like government propagandists, don’t be surprised when the government treats you as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The only way to do that is for the BBC to be funded by inane advertising like all the other channels.

I'd rather pay the licence fee than be constantly bombarded with the latest SCS double discount sale.
    This. I don't mind paying to have a few channels without adverts plus there are some good things on the main channels and I also like BBC 4.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    This. I don't mind paying to have a few channels without adverts plus there are some good things on the main channels and I also like BBC 4.
    Likewise. I also love the World Service and Radio 4.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    At today's press briefing about the trade talks with the EU at No 10 Downing Street, a number of reporters were denied entry to the meeting because of their previous stances. The entire cohort turned on their heel and left the meeting, including Laura Kuennsberg.
    Backed by Dominic Cummings, Johnson has forbidden all ministers from doing any interviews with Radio 4. Isn't this tantamount to a news blackout and an anti-democratic act?
    What would be your reaction if Neal Ardley banned certain journos from post match meetings because they had been critical of him in the past?
    The word is that the BBC will be asked to get rid of their 'impartiality clause' which demands they give balance to any political stories. Work that one out. The BBC's days are numbered but that won't cause many tears among the cavemen who inhabit NCM.
    Laura Kuenssberg (note the spelling Sidders) et al were at Greenwich though to ask the PM questions and receive answers, even if she chose not to attend the civil service briefing. I saw a representation of it on my cave wall, just after 6pm.
    To continue your analogy Neil Cox giving selected reporters an in depth run through of tactics after Neil Ardley has spoke to all the press post-match wouldn't bother me.
    After my atavistic daily quest for food and fire I like to watch the BBC. If its days are numbered though it is probably more to do with the obscene sums it spends on its employees. In which case no tears from me they might dampen the kindling for my cave's fire.

OT - Political reporters banned from reporting on politics

I know a lot of people in here chose to vote for Boris. And I don't want to be antagonistic about that in this thread.

But I also want people to realise that his governments attempts at manipulating how they are reported on actually made ALL of the reporters (including The Sun, The Guardian, Daily Mail, Sky, BBC, Telegraph etc) walk out of Number 10 United in protest today.

There's some pretty dodgy stuff going on here wherever your politics lie...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...r-reporter-ban

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast