+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- R.I.P Harry Gregg

O/T:- R.I.P Harry Gregg

Former Man Utd. keeper Harry Gregg who survived the Munich air crash has died aged 87
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-02-2020 at 10:35 PM.

He was known as 'The hero of Munich' for his actions following the plane crash, when he went back into the burning plane to rescue several of his teammates, including Bobby Charlton, Jackie Blanchflower, Dennis Violet and Sir Matt Busby. A great man. RIP.

I remember this event vividly. The TV pictures were so powerful. The entire country was on the side of the Busby Babes, who continued to the end of the season with a makeshift team. Harry Gregg was the anchor man but rarely spoke out in public. Everyone (well almost) became a Man U fan in those days because there was such a wellspring of sympathy.
    Oh how the mighty have fallen but not so a man of Gregg's stature.

Munich was one of those events that folk remember where they were and what they were doing when the news came through and like many I became a Man United follower (not really supporter) certainly for many years. Remember Nat Lofthouse bundling Harry over the line for a goal in the FA Cup.

Just been reading up on his life - he's not had it easy.

RIP.

R I P Harry thanks for the great memories

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    He was known as 'The hero of Munich' for his actions following the plane crash, when he went back into the burning plane to rescue several of his teammates, including Bobby Charlton, Jackie Blanchflower, Dennis Violet and Sir Matt Busby. A great man. RIP.
    He was a hero, but that is much more than the BBC credited him for.
    They said he returned twice to rescue Bobby Charlton and another lady.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    He was a hero, but that is much more than the BBC credited him for.
    They said he returned twice to rescue Bobby Charlton and another lady.
    The other lady was with her young daughter. She was also pregnant which Harry didn't know but he then met the subsequently born son at the 50th reunion of the crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Gregg is worth a read.