+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Death of a goalkeeping legend and hero

Death of a goalkeeping legend and hero

Harry Gregg, one of the heroes of the Munich air disaster and a great goalkeeper for club and country has died.
    I can remember seeing him at Millmoor playing for Doncaster Rovers. One of the things that stuck in my mind was seeing him applaud when our goalie made a good save.

He played for Manchester United in the FA Cup replay at Millmoor in 1966 - one of the most famous games in the history of RUFC. He also said that Man. U. were lucky to win.
    Good keeper and from what I have read and heard in interviews, a very generous-natured and modest bloke.
    R.I.P.

RIP to a true hero and legend

If any player deserves the upmost respect then it’s Harry Gregg
    Last edited by millertop; 17-02-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Harry Gregg a goal keeping legend, he was honest about Rotherham's Les Chapel goal against Man united, saying the goal should have stood for the Millers in the replay, but again a referee did us. R.I.P. big man.

An absolute legend and one of my favorite keepers (after Roy Ironside, of course...) along with Bert Trautman and Lev Yashin.

I believe he was briefly a goalkeeping coach for The Millers in the Emlyn Hughes era.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    An absolute legend and one of my favorite keepers (after Roy Ironside, of course...) along with Bert Trautman and Lev Yashin.

I believe he was briefly a goalkeeping coach for The Millers in the Emlyn Hughes era.
    Bert Trautmann was my hero as a lad. Have you seen the 2019 film "The Keeper"? It's about Bert's amazing life.