+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-player Craig Ramage #Cancelled

Ex-player Craig Ramage #Cancelled

Sacked from co-commentating on BBC Radio Derby for uttering racist comment on air. He was an ex-colleague of our own Mark Stallard after Ramage joined us in 1999 (Pavis put the ticket price up to pay for him).

https://www.theguardian.com/football...we-kick-it-out

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Sacked from co-commentating on BBC Radio Derby for uttering racist comment on air. He was an ex-colleague of our own Mark Stallard after Ramage joined us in 1999 (Pavis put the ticket price up to pay for him).

https://www.theguardian.com/football...we-kick-it-out
    "young black lads" hardly racist.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    "young black lads" hardly racist.
    Really ?! Most would have just said the young lads he wouldnt have said "white lads" he singled them out and that isn't right.

Perhaps he knew who these young lads who needed taking down a peg or two were and perhaps they were black. Perhaps too, the white lads were OK, in any case, is anyone really offended? Would there be any pretense of offence if he had said "These young white lads..."?

I watch, and gamble on, a lot of cricket matches in my retirement.....almost every test match, most 50-over games and T20s.

Listened to Clive Lloyd a few weeks ago bemoaning the demise of the Windies since the loss of the likes of Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Joel Garner, Malcolm Marshall, Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh.....apparently according to him, the black youth of today are just too lazy to want to play in any form of the game longer than 20 overs, his words not mine.....I nearly choked on my hobnob.

I cannot find the actual quote.....this is the closest I could find......superb quote from Boycott ``If my mum was alive she could captain England to play West Indies. Hopeless aren’t they?’’....hahahaha

https://www.thecitizen.in/index.php/...Indies-Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Perhaps he knew who these young lads who needed taking down a peg or two were and perhaps they were black. Perhaps too, the white lads were OK, in any case, is anyone really offended? Would there be any pretense of offence if he had said "These young white lads..."?
    Thats the point he wouldnt have said the word white and working for the BBC he must have known he was getting sacked.

I didnt say I was offended by it just pointing out why the Derby lads might be.

"On Sunday the 22-year-old Derby defender Max Lowe flagged up Ramage’s comments on social media, saying he “decided to speak out on behalf of all black footballers at Derby County”. Lowe added on Instagram: “Racial ignorance, stereotyping and intolerance negatively affects the image of impressionable young footballers and creates an unnecessary divide in society. I am also disappointed that a public service broadcaster did not step in to ask the analyst to explain his reasoning or to distance themselves from these archaic thoughts.”

Not really going over the top, are you Max? Anyone would have thought Ramage had been seen wearing a white cloak and pointed hood and walking in a parade carrying flaming torches.

Good to see all the victims of racism on here explaining to us what’s racist and what isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Good to see all the victims of racism on here explaining to us what’s racist and what isn’t.
    How do you know who has,or who hasn't been the victim of racism on here ?

Ramage basically echoed the sentiments of Ron Atkinson but without the inflammatory language. I'm not sure anybody did more for the advancement of black footballers in this country than Ron Atkinson, so it was ironic that his broadcasting career should have been cut short in such circumstances. Ramage must have been aware of that particular case, but it's evidently just slipped out of his mouth without thought. Maybe it is a commonly held belief within football that black players are generally more 'laid back', but it self evidently isn't true. You'd never question the attitude of the likes of Kevin Bartlett, Devon White and Michael Johnson for example.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast