+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The two biggest league grounds Notts have played in

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

That's us playing at ground B, probably in a change gold strip.

Edit: Zooming in, we must be wearing the darker shirts. It wasn't unheard of to borrow the home clubs change strip in those days, but if that's the case, we'd probably be wearing red!
    The Valley? ( Charlton Athletic wear red!)

We did play there, twice in the league and once in the FA Cup before they moved to Selhurst in 1924. So that would be joint top with Thames AFC, or even bigger than Thames by a fraction.
    I still don’t think it counts. Crystal Palace (the Football Club) had to move out of Crystal Palace (the ground) in 1915, when it was requisitioned by the army. At first they played at Herne Hill, but in 1919 they moved again to a ground called The Nest in Selhurst, which had previously been the home of Croydon Common FC. It would have been at this ground that they met Notts in Division 2 fixtures and in a cup tie which went to three replays. I have no information on the size of The Nest but apparently it didn’t match up to Palace’s ambitions so they moved to Selhurst Park in 1924.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    I still don’t think it counts. Crystal Palace (the Football Club) had to move out of Crystal Palace (the ground) in 1915, when it was requisitioned by the army. At first they played at Herne Hill, but in 1919 they moved again to a ground called The Nest in Selhurst, which had previously been the home of Croydon Common FC. It would have been at this ground that they met Notts in Division 2 fixtures and in a cup tie which went to three replays. I have no information on the size of The Nest but apparently it didn’t match up to Palace’s ambitions so they moved to Selhurst Park in 1924.
    Oh, that's a pity, I was quite taken with the idea of us playing at the Park with the Crystal Palace itself in the background, which would surely have been the most scenic setting for a Notts County game.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 20-02-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macse15 View Post
    The Valley? ( Charlton Athletic wear red!)
    Do keep up macse15, that's White City Stadium, home of QPR for two separate spells. The World Cup match played there (4 years after we won at the ground) was Uruguay v France, apparently because Wembley refused to cancel a regular greyhound racing event!!!

Do keep up macse15, that's White City Stadium, home of QPR for two separate spells. The World Cup match played there (4 years after we won at the ground) was Uruguay v France, apparently because Wembley refused to cancel a regular greyhound racing event!!!
    Yes that's fair enough. I was making more of a general guess as The Valley used to be one of the biggest grounds in the country (I havent had time to read every single post so apologies if I'm behind the times

Quote Originally Posted by macse15 View Post
    Yes that's fair enough. I was making more of a general guess as The Valley used to be one of the biggest grounds in the country (I havent had time to read every single post so apologies if I'm behind the times

The Valley had a highest maximum capacity of 75,000.
    Somebody mentioned Fulham earlier, who had a plan to rebuild for 80,000 but this was scuppered by the great depression in the 1930s.

What a fantastic thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    The stadium at Herne Hill was/is a velodrome, which is perhaps the oddest sports stadium for a football club to play in. Mind you, the athletics stadiums we’ve played at were pretty weird too (Withdean; Don Valley - think the latter was built for the student games). And then there were the cricket grounds, like at Northampton and Bramhall Lane. Did anyone go to either of those to see Notts? Must have been some very short boundaries...

I was surprised to see that Juventus only has a capacity of 41,000 as in essence they are a league club.

Port Vale is an interesting one, originally planned for an 80k "Wembley of the North", they were staging 3rd Division SOUTH fixtures when their new ground opened in 1950.
    Notts actually played the penultimate league fixture at their former home "The Old Rec", a rare 3-1 defeat in our championship season with Tommy Lawton scoring the Notts goal. Have a look at the picture linked below of the entrance to the dressing rooms, which the legendary Lawton would have walked trough. Imagine a Raheem Sterling or a Mo Salah having to enter a ground through this dump!
    https://i2-prod.stokesentinel.co.uk/.../0_Old-rec.jpg

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast