+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: O/T Tories dismantling our democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    How much is it to watch the beeb in different countries Silly? And which are free? Just tried surfing to find answers and just get VPN links! :-)
    Spain I know for sure get bbc news for free my uncle lived their until last year and he got it on free view I think France and Germany also get bbc news for free but I can’t say for sure.

As for other countries the channels like cams that have bbc shows on are apart of package deal, let’s say cam gets 800 channels and only 1 has bbc stuff on and it costs him $160 he would be paying 20 cents which is about 17p

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    Spain I know for sure get bbc news for free my uncle lived their until last year and he got it on free view I think France and Germany also get bbc news for free but I can’t say for sure.

As for other countries the channels like cams that have bbc shows on are apart of package deal, let’s say cam gets 800 channels and only 1 has bbc stuff on and it costs him $160 he would be paying 20 cents which is about 17p
    Interesting. I thought you were arguing that you had people in other countries had access to all the BBC channels for less than we pay at home. What you actually should be saying is that in some countries you get access to one channel, bbc news. This is in no way comparable to the BBC services you get for your license fee.

Cam, can I ask how many channels you get from the beeb and the approximate cost to you? No probs if you don't want to answer, just want to get the actual facts on this, not distortion

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Why would you be lost without it?
    Because I use it multiple times every day. Mainly for sports updates and results - particularly when travelling. Also listen to radio through the site when out of the house. Its got everything I follow in one place. Updated football score and county cricket and test scorecards.

Although China has blocked it, some hotels link to Hong Kong wifi through vpn.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Plus us in the U.K. are paying for the World Service of the BBC
    Yep, and many Brits use it when abroad.

The Tories haven't a problem with the licence fee the problem they have is with the BBC themselves in my opinion , scores to be settled in my opinion .

As ever the tories have whipped up the usual suspects in to a frenzy when the real intention is to punish the BBC for having the right to scrutinise the government and hold it to account through independent journalism .

Scutinising the government and holding it to account partly funded by the taxpayer just won't do with the authoritarian aspirations of the tory government or should that be Dominic Cummings in my opinion .

The country needs another News International like it needs a huge economic downturn .

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Interesting. I thought you were arguing that you had people in other countries had access to all the BBC channels for less than we pay at home. What you actually should be saying is that in some countries you get access to one channel, bbc news. This is in no way comparable to the BBC services you get for your license fee.

Cam, can I ask how many channels you get from the beeb and the approximate cost to you? No probs if you don't want to answer, just want to get the actual facts on this, not distortion
    There are 2 channels branded BBC that I'm aware of. BBC World News which I don't subscribe to and BBC America which I do although only because it's part of a package. It does show some BBC programmes (Dr Who, Graham Norton, Planet Earth) but to be honest it's not a 'normal' BBC like channel e.g.it has adverts and it shows lots of marathons like an up coming 3 day Star Trek Deep Space Nine one or worst of all 14 days of Dr Who over the Christmas/New Year period. I pay $100/month for the package and have no idea how many channels that is, probably 400-500.

As already mentioned, PBS does show lots of British programmes, not sure how many are BBC, and that is available for 'free' if you want to go to the trouble of not having cable or satellite but install a digital aerial. I put 'free' because PBS is paid for by viewer/listener donations and I don't donate, many do including some very wealthy benefactors. Many of the shows are very old e.g. 1960s/70s Dr Who, comedies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Yep, and many Brits use it when abroad.
    Yes and some of them might have paid the tv licence that funds it instead of being a freeloader lol

It's just a very dated way to fund TV.

The majority of European countries who had TV licences have abolished them.

Norway 2020
    Denmark 2019
    Sweden 2019
    Poland 2019
    Belgium 2018
    Romania 2017
    North Macedonia 2017
    Finland 2013
    Malta 2011
    Iceland 2007
    Gibraltar 2006
    Hungary 2002
    Netherlands 2000

In Italy it was cut to 90 Euros because no-one was paying it.

We need to start living in the present too.

Outside of Europe, even in law-abiding Japan people are no long paying the licence fee to NHK after a series of scandals (sound familiar?)
    Last edited by great_fire; 22-02-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Just wait until it's decriminalized and don't pay the license fee. Where is the poverty line in relation to TV viewing these days?

Do you need over 200 channels, 1 movie package, a sports package and 3 box office events to scrape above it?

Or do we keep an outdated fee to keep balanced coverage (LMFAO at that) to continue brainwashing Wanchai and his pals?

The Beebs programming brings in millions. It's a bloated organisation full of overpaid presenters and management.

It's got Jermaine Jenas working for it FF$. What is wrong with you people?

I grew up on tv shows like one foot in the grave, only fools and horses and red dwarf all the best comedy’s was on the bbc if it was optional to pay back then it would have raked in the cash but now there’s so many old fart programs like

Monday bbc 1

3pm escape from the country
    3:45 the farmers country show
    4:30 antique road trip
    5:15 pointless (it lives up to its name)
    6pm news (even though they have a news channel)
    7pm one show (with more country crap)
    7:30 inside out Yorkshire (more country crap)
    8pm Chavy Eastenders
    8:30 mo farah and Salazar (old news)
    9pm masterchef (a cooking show)
    10pm news
    10:30 this country (ffs)

Do I need to say any more?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast