+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Tories dismantling our democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    I thought you had gone fishing after brexit and the election, cant resist can you
    Fishing?

Silly me carnt we just vote them out in 5 years time if we don't like what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stovicmiller View Post
    Silly me carnt we just vote them out in 5 years time if we don't like what they are doing.
    That depends entirely on the nature of the damage that has been done. Some things are easier to reverse than others.

There are many examples from history of the rapid moral collapse of societies when things take a nasty turn.

We are currently entering an era where respect for democracy, law and facts is being undermined at the highest level, and that has major negative impact on what is tolerated in wider society that simply changing the government won't fix.

Well if there is going to be a moral collapse of society then I'm goi g to build a bunker in my back garden and start prepping.

Most people are in favour of scrapping the BBC licence fair.

It's totally unfair that people have to pay the BBC to watch ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Sky or any other non-BBC channels.

And even more unfair that people are given fines or sent to jail for not contributing to Gary Lineker's huge wages, or Dan Walker's £1000 a week taxi fares.

Most of those people are low-income single mothers.

The BBC are all PC and on the side of the oppressed but not when it comes to keeping their big salaries, pensions and expense accounts.

The Supreme Court was set up by Blair to continue Blairism after he'd left power. We shouldn't have political judges. It should be shut down and law lords put back in charge.

And talking of Blair, no-one ignored parliament more than he did.
    Last edited by great_fire; 18-02-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Prevention is always better than cure stovic where possible...maybe we wouldn't have had the spread of the corona virus if someone had prevented it in the first place. Un fortunately there aint no cure at the moment maybe that could apply politically as well when it all goes tits up ..

Some people don't look at the long term picture when they vote its just a knee jerk reaction on the issues of the day. In the case of the last election: Brexit...

Anyway gerroff our thread
    Last edited by rolymiller; 18-02-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Prevention is always better than cure stovic where possible...maybe we wouldn't have had the spread of the corona virus if someone had prevented it in the first place. Un fortunately there aint no cure at the moment maybe that could apply politically as well when it all goes tits up ..

Some people don't look at the long term picture when they vote its just a knee jerk reaction on the issues of the day. In the case of the last election: Brexit...

Anyway gerroff our thread
    . You obviously don't believe in democracy. Are you a closet tory 👍

Roly you must have been sucking on lemons, you're so bitter 😊

PMSL. Stovic . Very witty ripostes... I shall ask GM and Silly to send me a copy of their avatar to replace my tired old one...
    Last edited by rolymiller; 18-02-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Most people are in favour of scrapping the BBC licence fair.

It's totally unfair that people have to pay the BBC to watch ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Sky or any other non-BBC channels.

And even more unfair that people are given fines or sent to jail for not contributing to Gary Lineker's huge wages, or Dan Walker's £1000 a week taxi fares.

Most of those people are low-income single mothers.

The BBC are all PC and on the side of the oppressed but not when it comes to keeping their big salaries, pensions and expense accounts.

The Supreme Court was set up by Blair to continue Blairism after he'd left power. We shouldn't have political judges. It should be shut down and law lords put back in charge.

And talking of Blair, no-one ignored parliament more than he did.
    Believe it of not great_fire, I agree with a lot of what you say in this post.

I'm no huge fan of the licence fee. The problem with this government abolishing it is their hugely political and partisan motivations for doing so and the way they are likely to go about it. Spoiler: they don't give a crap about low-income single mothers.

On Blair ignoring Parliament I to an extent agree too.

In a democracy politicians need to tell the truth. If parliament makes decisions because they have been intentionally misled by a certain agenda, that undermines democracy.

I think Tony Blair acted in what he sincerely believed were the best interests of the country. However, in a democracy we must demand a higher standard of our elected leaders than that whatever party they are from. I would not oppose a trial to asses whether he intentionally misrepresented the facts. It's entirely possible he deluded himself, but those are questions that in a democracy should be asked and if guilty appropriate consequences faced.

The current government is taking things to a whole other level though.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast