+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Fashanu to be inducted into Hall of Fame

Yes. Hence why I mentioned it in the post you just quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Didn't we have a gay awareness match last week?
    Whooooosh!

Great to see another former Notts player being recognised in this way isn't it? What a shame this potentially celebratory thread has been dragged so low when we should be happy and proud about it, albeit tragically posthumous.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Whooooosh!
    Sorry shipmate,. I know we used to call them brown hatters, but that ship's sailed.

Political correctness is when us poor downtrodden Brits aren't allowed to fly England flags any more or put up lights at Christmas.

It was in The Sun, so it must be true.
    Why am I not surprised you read The Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Great to see another former Notts player being recognised in this way isn't it? What a shame this potentially celebratory thread has been dragged so low when we should be happy and proud about it, albeit tragically posthumous.

Notts (and Norwich) supporters should appreciate more than any others why this is an important and positive gesture. So if we're seeing negative reactions on here then I guess there's much more of a problem or denial in football than we might imagine.

One of my daughter's closest fiends at school is openly gay and nobody gives him a hard time, Unthinkable in my day and I find it embarrassing that football grounds have become one of the last refuges (alongside certain places of worship) of overt homophobia. It really isn't a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I remember the 70's and 80's, goes without saying that racism and homophobia were rife. I remember a friend of mine who worked in a clothes shop ( Limeys or summat like that on Long Row ) telling me Fashuna was gay and indeed, had a crush on him. He was straight btw. I loved Fash as a player for Notts , but what I loved more how clearly Brian Clough hated him. I remember thinking how brave when he came out but in the end, it killed him.

ps. Times have changed for the better but saying black coffee instead without milk is racist, nor is saying I don't agree with same *** marriage, homophobic.
    I remember going to watch Notts in the 70s and 80s and I remember very little about abuse to gay footballers, or even players people perceived as gay. During that era, the scariest thing was when visiting fans (and home fans at away games) labelled every fan from Nottingham a 'Scab'. Trips to games in Yorkshire became very scary.

There was more abuse towards non-white players then, just as there was generally to non-white people in society. The gay thing never ever came up in conversation with people I knew, but then again nor did the colour of peoples' skin.

Justin Fashanu was a run of the mill professional footballer. He scored a speculative goal for Norwich v Liverpool and that gave him the million pound price tag. I think Cloughie must have been having an off day when he signed him and regretted it ever since. He never did it for any club he played for after that - was it because he was an openly gay man? I don't know, but I don't see what bearing that has on the fact of his ability.

John Fashanu was a much better all round player.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Your coffee example is ridiculous. But saying you don't agree with gay marriage is the very definition of homophobic. In the same way that if I said I didn't agree with white people getting married that would be racist.
    I disagree. I don't agree with Gay Marriage being forced on churches that don't want to marry same *** couples, but I do believe in Gay Marriage in establishments that embrace it. From what you are saying, in your opinion, that would make me 'homophobic' (boy I hate that word), but if you knew my circumstances, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Political correctness is when us poor downtrodden Brits aren't allowed to fly England flags any more or put up lights at Christmas.

It was in The Sun, so it must be true.
    There are many articles on the internet from a vast array of British Newspapers that talk about the St.George's Cross being banned from being flown in England.

Many of the large companies that ban it, say that they have banned the flying of the flag for Health and Safety reasons.

You'll have to read more newspapers than just The Sun to form your current affairs view Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    My apologies Swale, I've missed the point of the discussion - why was Justin Fashanu made a member of the Football Hall of Fame please?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast