+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penalty record

Accies haven't won in the league since they played us and have thrown away winning positions against St Mirren and Hearts in the process. They will have plenty of doubt on Saturday regardless of whether they conceal it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Accies haven't won in the league since they played us and have thrown away winning positions against St Mirren and Hearts in the process. They will have plenty of doubt on Saturday regardless of whether they conceal it or not.
    They haven't met us for a couple of months. I'm sure we'll be desperate to help them out of their plight.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    I'm not talking about St.Mirren or Stranraer's mentality, I'm only interested in ours. If you fail to score three penalties in a shootout you're not going to win, so it doesn't matter what mentality the opposition have, we have already made their task easier. So yes, I would say that it does come down to who they are playing and as I said, had St.Mirren been playing Hearts (to use an example) at Tynecastle last night in a Cup match that went to penalties they would not have won. Indeed, put Donnelly, Watt and Hylton in Hearts jerseys last night and they'd all have scored.

I don't have a list of stats for our penalty conversion rate over the years but I've seen us miss plenty of crucial ones at key moments in big games.

Off the top of my head;

- Murphy v Odense in Europe when we were 0-1 down with a few minutes to go.

- O'Brien against Rangers in the 88th minute at 0-0.

- Forbes in the 6-6 Hibs game

- Higdon, normally so reliable, missing against Aberdeen in a Cup Quarter Final at a crucial stage of the game

- Tom Hateley missing one at Parkhead in the 80th minute with the score at 0-0.

All of those, every single one of them, cost us either points or progression/potential progression in big cup matches.

We don't have an iota of bottle at our club. Not one.
    Put Donnelly, Watt and Hylton in Hearts jerseys and they would have scored. How do you come to that conclusion? You said it's about bottle. You either have bottle or you don't. I don't think what colour of football shirt you wear will make great deal of difference.

192 square feet to score into, professional players shouldn’t be missing penalties. Simples

Never, ever thought Trigonometry would be a reason to slate our penalty takers ! But, now you mention it ...

https://instatsport.com/football/art...nalty_research

Little out of date but interesting if you like that kind of thing. Bottom line is one in every four penalties is missed.

It should be fairly easy for a penalty kick taker to get the ball on target. Whether the keeper saves it or not is an entirely different matter. Some keepers study kick takers preferred style; some will read body language in the run up but then yes thats when luck kicks in. Many keepers decide before the ball is struck which way they're going to dive - they might be right they might be wrong.

I wondered before Tuesday's shoot out if we'd manage a perfect hat trick of misses and we did. Keeper saves one, one effort misses the goal and one hits woodwork!
    Last edited by Wellup4it; 20-02-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    We're currently on some streak with penalties...what have I forgotten?

Stoke - won
    Celtic - lost
    Morton - won
    Clydebank - won
    ICT - won
    Alloa - lost
    Raith - won
    Forfar - lost
    Hibs - lost
    Hamilton - lost
    Stranraer - lost
    St Mirren - lost

Five wins, seven losses (though the Stranraer one hardly registers tbf).
    Stoke - won
    Celtic - lost
    Morton - won
    Clydebank - won
    ICT - won
    Alloa - lost
    Raith - won
    Forfar - lost
    Hibs - lost
    Hamilton - lost
    Stranraer - lost
    St Mirren - lost
    Coleraine - won

Six wins, seven losses (though the Stranraer one hardly registers tbf).

Winning in Israel to make it 50-50 would do nicely...

Stoke - won
    Celtic - lost
    Morton - won
    Clydebank - won
    ICT - won
    Alloa - lost
    Raith - won
    Forfar - lost
    Hibs - lost
    Hamilton - lost
    Stranraer - lost
    St Mirren - lost
    Coleraine - won
    Morton - won
    Hibs - lost

Just realised I forgot to update this last season so here it is incase needed shortly...currently we're won seven, lost eight (7-7 in knock-out ties).

Stoke - won
    Celtic - lost
    Morton - won
    Clydebank - won
    ICT - won
    Alloa - lost
    Raith - won
    Forfar - lost
    Hibs - lost
    Hamilton - lost
    Stranraer - lost
    St Mirren - lost
    Coleraine - won
    Morton - won
    Hibs - lost
    QotS - won

8-8 overall, 7-7 in knock-out ties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)