+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Brits - Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    For those used to being privileged, equality can feel like oppression. ��

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    You make a good point Mick. In life don’t give it - if you can’t take it! Imagine the horrible Dele Ali getting racially abused which would be disgusting in itself and he and his Spurs chums would soon be crying out as they did recently !!! OK for Dele Ali to be racist though by mocking the Chinese through facial mock up and about the Coronavirus which is outrageous. Perhaps if Mr Ali is racially abused again he will think back to this incident!! Had a white person done this an apology would not have been sufficient! Think back to the previous owner of Wigan Dave Whelan who was hounded by the press for making reference to a chinky ( takeaway ) and here lies my point. Whelan was an old guy and this nearly destroyed him!

I do agree a single word doesn't make someone racist
    Look at Atkinson, is he racist if he was would he have given black players a chance?

Problem is you cant read someones mind, but I agree in the current climate it is very difficult to know where the line is drawn and there are many who use the race card

For example I have mates who are white, black, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, gay and we all go out together and we say all sorts to each other, but we know each other enough to know its a joke

If I said something I'd say to them to another person I didn't know, no matter how funny it was would that be acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    It wasn’t aimed at Boris but what Boris is and that is PM and the establishment is mainly white (although the govt has black and Asian ministers or members)
    Having said that Boris has said some pretty racist stuff pickanies, post boxes etc

If you stood up on stage and criticised one person that is different than talking about a collective or their policies

Do you remember the 60s 70s with Black Asian people being called this and that and envy other standup or sitcom was incredibly stereotypical or racist, would you prefer to see that?

Also didn’t get what you meant by -
    Let’s put to one sided that I am white British and I presume you are Asian English and just deal with that point.

Deal with what point?

I have never really called the race card, when I’ve had crap hurled at me I’ve either laughed or been even more determined
    Even at school when teachers would overlook my thoughts, achievements, points of view, inclusion with the wider group, I was taught by my parents and grand parents just to be more determined and work harder and I think others can relate to overcoming obstacles in life

But what is different is some of those obstacles were there just purely because I was of Indian origin and the prejudiced views these teachers had about that or me and my family or community.

And being the best behaved politest most positive student couldn’t help me change that

Now I’m older I realise these stupid ass teachers were very small minded people, who weren’t very open to other views and thinking about and attempting to put themselves in the shoes of others and what they may be going through

I’ve experienced this as school, college but from University onwards less so, but there are still situations when I know something is thought about me on first meeting without me even opening my mouth or explain who I actually am

And like most people I am a complicated mixed person who is made up of all facets of my upbringing, heritage, experiences (good and bad) and mood that day

We have so much in common that most believe, if ex pats in Spain start getting this rhetoric from the Spanish you will soon be backing the ex pats and their right to be equal

You might even do a rap album - next years Brits winner Mick
    You make some good points here BS.

I watched the Brits the other night and I'd never heard of Dave before, but I thought it was an emotional song with powerful lyrics. I didn't agree with all of it, but I did resonate with it a fair bit. I think Mick has the hump because he called out Boris Johnson for what he is...

I'm white and not from a particularly privileged upbringing (not unprivileged either, I should add). I find it hard when I hear people say things like 'white privilege' because I consider my staff, work colleagues or anyone who I interact with 100% equal. But I imagine others don't...

Integration is the way forward, I really enjoy speaking to people from all over the world in my job. I like hearing about alternative cultures and norms. I think it enriches my mind, and I think it enriches the country when people choose to come and live and work in the UK. Brexit has done the opposite of integration, it is turning bright minds away and will make us less globally influential. As well as poorer. Its a shame that we really do have some small minded people in this country.

It wasn’t aimed at Boris but what Boris is and that is PM and the establishment is mainly white (although the govt has black and Asian ministers or members)
    Having said that Boris has said some pretty racist stuff pickanies, post boxes etc

If you stood up on stage and criticised one person that is different than talking about a collective or their policies

Do you remember the 60s 70s with Black Asian people being called this and that and envy other standup or sitcom was incredibly stereotypical or racist, would you prefer to see that?

Also didn’t get what you meant by -
    Let’s put to one sided that I am white British and I presume you are Asian English and just deal with that point.

Deal with what point?

I have never really called the race card, when I’ve had crap hurled at me I’ve either laughed or been even more determined
    Even at school when teachers would overlook my thoughts, achievements, points of view, inclusion with the wider group, I was taught by my parents and grand parents just to be more determined and work harder and I think others can relate to overcoming obstacles in life

But what is different is some of those obstacles were there just purely because I was of Indian origin and the prejudiced views these teachers had about that or me and my family or community.

And being the best behaved politest most positive student couldn’t help me change that

Now I’m older I realise these stupid ass teachers were very small minded people, who weren’t very open to other views and thinking about and attempting to put themselves in the shoes of others and what they may be going through

I’ve experienced this as school, college but from University onwards less so, but there are still situations when I know something is thought about me on first meeting without me even opening my mouth or explain who I actually am

And like most people I am a complicated mixed person who is made up of all facets of my upbringing, heritage, experiences (good and bad) and mood that day

We have so much in common that most believe, if ex pats in Spain start getting this rhetoric from the Spanish you will soon be backing the ex pats and their right to be equal

You might even do a rap album - next years Brits winner Mick
    Interesting you consider yourself to be 'a complicated mixed person' I consider myself quite simple. Perhaps that is why we have differing views.

What I do know is the only fear the Spanish have of British expats is they will leave!

I do agree a single word doesn't make someone racist
    Look at Atkinson, is he racist if he was would he have given black players a chance?

Problem is you cant read someones mind, but I agree in the current climate it is very difficult to know where the line is drawn and there are many who use the race card

For example I have mates who are white, black, Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, gay and we all go out together and we say all sorts to each other, but we know each other enough to know its a joke

If I said something I'd say to them to another person I didn't know, no matter how funny it was would that be acceptable?

Could not agree more with you!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    You make some good points here BS.

I watched the Brits the other night and I'd never heard of Dave before, but I thought it was an emotional song with powerful lyrics. I didn't agree with all of it, but I did resonate with it a fair bit. I think Mick has the hump because he called out Boris Johnson for what he is...

I'm white and not from a particularly privileged upbringing (not unprivileged either, I should add). I find it hard when I hear people say things like 'white privilege' because I consider my staff, work colleagues or anyone who I interact with 100% equal. But I imagine others don't...

Integration is the way forward, I really enjoy speaking to people from all over the world in my job. I like hearing about alternative cultures and norms. I think it enriches my mind, and I think it enriches the country when people choose to come and live and work in the UK. Brexit has done the opposite of integration, it is turning bright minds away and will make us less globally influential. As well as poorer. Its a shame that we really do have some small minded people in this country.
    Top Stuff, need more like minded individuals 123

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Interesting you consider yourself to be 'a complicated mixed person' I consider myself quite simple. Perhaps that is why we have differing views.

What I do know is the only fear the Spanish have of British expats is they will leave!
    So So So tempted by the bait, I will resist .....

Yes you are a simpleton

Doh

(Was a real Homer Simson and the donut moment for me)

So So So tempted by the bait, I will resist .....

Yes you are a simpleton

Doh

(Was a real Homer Simson and the donut moment for me)
    That's poor response BS unworthy of what you have posted before. I was hoping to provoke a proper debate about why we might have such differing views. Still I live in hope.

2 definitions of simple

easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty:
    "a simple solution"
    synonyms
    straightforward, easy, uncomplicated, uninvolved, effortless, ... moreantonyms
    difficult, hard, demanding, complicated, complex
    plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation:
    "a simple white blouse"
    synonyms
    plain, unadorned, undecorated, unembellished, unornamented, ... moreantonyms
    fancy, elaborate

I can see that as a relevant of me.
    Seems you consider 'top stuff' only come from like minded people, Shame really. Replace like minded with narrow minded.
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 21-02-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    That's poor response BS unworthy of what you have posted before. I was hoping to provoke a proper debate about why we might have such differing views. Still I live in hope.

2 definitions of simple

easily understood or done; presenting no difficulty:
    "a simple solution"
    synonyms
    straightforward, easy, uncomplicated, uninvolved, effortless, ... moreantonyms
    difficult, hard, demanding, complicated, complex
    plain, basic, or uncomplicated in form, nature, or design; without much decoration or ornamentation:
    "a simple white blouse"
    synonyms
    plain, unadorned, undecorated, unembellished, unornamented, ... moreantonyms
    fancy, elaborate

I can see that as a relevant of me.
    Seems you consider 'top stuff' only come from like minded people, Shame really. Replace like minded with narrow minded.
    Sorry mate if the humour didn’t come through
    I wasn’t really calling you anything
    I was attempting (poorly) to show I had a lighter side

As I said yesterday I live to hear all opinions and all are valid as they reflect who you are and what you think

Also I replied top stuff because I agreed and it was way of saying hear hear

Apologies again if the humour was not clear

If you find your self simple then great, I’m sure it means you have figured out somethings I’m still figuring about about myself the world and my place in it
    Last edited by BaggieSingh; 21-02-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)