+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do Weatherspoons do it?

How do Weatherspoons do it?

A dozen or so of us replaced our regular Thursday night pint or 2 in the village local with a visit to the bright lights of Brighton and ended up in Weatherspoons. Pint of Ruddles County was £1.39 (and very nice it was too) a bit of a contrast to £4.10 in the local or £5 in many Brighton bars. Unsurprisingly on a cold night in Feb in was packed. They had many other ales £2-£2.50.

Any sensible suggestions as to how they can do this?

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    A dozen or so of us replaced our regular Thursday night pint or 2 in the village local with a visit to the bright lights of Brighton and ended up in Weatherspoons. Pint of Ruddles County was £1.39 (and very nice it was too) a bit of a contrast to £4.10 in the local or £5 in many Brighton bars. Unsurprisingly on a cold night in Feb in was packed. They had many other ales £2-£2.50.

Any sensible suggestions as to how they can do this?
    turnover 923,Tim Martin and co,they have contracts with brewers were they guarantee to buy so many barrels which can run into £1000s.keeps the brewer busy and full employment,then it’s passed down to the drinker.thats what I’m meant to believe by someone I know who works for weatherspoons.

I was once told by a guy who ran a Weatherspoon's in Newcastle that they buy in lots of beer very close to sell-by dates, that's how they can sell it cheap to shift it quick

Quote Originally Posted by Baggies_Boy_Tony View Post
    I was once told by a guy who ran a Weatherspoon's in Newcastle that they buy in lots of beer very close to sell-by dates, that's how they can sell it cheap to shift it quick
    if that’s right tony ,there’s a awful lot of beer going off.

Economies of scale?

Low salaries for staff?

Most bar staff are on or near to the minimum wage, not just Weatherspoon's.

They also save money by not playing music.

They also save money by not employing enough bar staff. How many hours have I wasted trying to catch the eye of a couple of bar staff serving at an extremely long bar with loads queuing. All I want is two pints of lager and a packet of crisps but the people in front of me always want 6 pints, 4 glasses of wine and "can i also order some food please"?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggies_Boy_Tony View Post
    I was told that same thing in Burnley on a recent soiree with my Claret buddy.

The Cross Hotel in Kingswinford is reopening as a Spoons in April. They have been working on it for a few months now putting the bogs upstairs. Be good to pop in when we do a bit of shappin. When we visit our eldest in Aberystwyth we usually pop in Spoons for a bite to eat. It's still a working railway station and you can watch the trains going in and out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)