+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VAR - Would we want to play with VAR doing what it does

Both decisions were correct to the letter of the Var law,I wouldn't have been happy though if it had been the other way round.. The question is " where do you draw the line between the arm and the shoulder..

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Both decisions were correct to the letter of the Var law,I wouldn't have been happy though if it had been the other way round.. The question is " where do you draw the line between the arm and the shoulder..
    Not just that though Alf, it's what does the match official team actually do? The ref waved play on for the "hand ball" that ended up cancelling out Bournemouth equaliser and gave the penalty to your lads, surely it's a case of "play to the whistle" in such circumstances and VAR has no role to play?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not just that though Alf, it's what does the match official team actually do? The ref waved play on for the "hand ball" that ended up cancelling out Bournemouth equaliser and gave the penalty to your lads, surely it's a case of "play to the whistle" in such circumstances and VAR has no role toplay?
    what about this for a scenario WTF,if Bournemouth hadn't scored straight after and Burnley went back upfield and scored ,would VAR have disallowed the goal and given Burnley the penalty ..What a strange one that would have been.lol

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    what about this for a scenario WTF,if Bournemouth hadn't scored straight after and Burnley went back upfield and scored ,would VAR have disallowed the goal and given Burnley the penalty ..What a strange one that would have been.lol
    Seems to me that VAR isn't worth the benefits it was supposed to give us, unless and until they "tune" the technology and amend the rules it supports.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Seems to me that VAR isn't worth the benefits it was supposed to give us, unless and until they "tune" the technology and amend the rules it supports.
    I rarely watch PL football and even less now with VAR.....I can only hope they have a rethink as to its implementation for next season. I doubt if they will scrap it now....but a blind man on a galloping horse can see it has not worked in its present form....
    It needs a serious overhauling and decisions need to be made quicker. Also,it is used for too much in a game...far too much. But the rules are as much to blame for that as well.....ball to hand....or hand to ball....sounds like a bit to intimate to me...

VAR stands for Video ASSISTANT Referee. The clue is in the word Assistant. It is supposed to assist the referee not make the decisions for them.

In the Womens World Cup the VAR people looked at something and if they thought the Referee may possibly have made a different decision they told the Ref to come and look at the screen. In the PL our referees have decided they will not look at the pitchside screens and so have passed their responsibilities to folk sat looking at video replays miles away.

With regards to hand ball when I first started watching football it was deemed handball below the wrist. It seemed to evolve into below the elbow, which is fair enough. But now it seems to be anything from the shoulder down. Handball was also deemed to be the deliberate movement of the hand to the ball. If the ball was played onto the hand by an opposition player it was deemed to be ball to hand and therefore no foul.

Time they went back to the simple version of yesteryear. It would stop a lot of arguments and silly decisions, well probably

Quote Originally Posted by wortleygirl View Post
    VAR stands for Video ASSISTANT Referee. The clue is in the word Assistant. It is supposed to assist the referee not make the decisions for them.

In the Womens World Cup the VAR people looked at something and if they thought the Referee may possibly have made a different decision they told the Ref to come and look at the screen. In the PL our referees have decided they will not look at the pitchside screens and so have passed their responsibilities to folk sat looking at video replays miles away.

With regards to hand ball when I first started watching football it was deemed handball below the wrist. It seemed to evolve into below the elbow, which is fair enough. But now it seems to be anything from the shoulder down. Handball was also deemed to be the deliberate movement of the hand to the ball. If the ball was played onto the hand by an opposition player it was deemed to be ball to hand and therefore no foul.

Time they went back to the simple version of yesteryear. It would stop a lot of arguments and silly decisions, well probably
    A-f00king-men!!!!!

About time the authorities got a grip of reality ON the pitch as opposed to virtual f00king reality at Stockley f00king Park. Just my opinion like.

The concept itself is a good one but it's been implemented very badly.
    They should have been looking at how other sports have done it and learned from their mistakes.
    Cricket started out with replays for every appeal but quickly learned that a system that was supposed to be for clear and obvious errors (sound familiar??) was being 'gamed' by the players to gain an advantage (either by winning a marginal decision in their favour or by slowing game down with continuous appeals.)
    They ended up going with the umpires call but giving each side two appeals against a decision.
    After looking at replays, if the umpire has made an error they overturn the decision and you get your appeal back.
    If you tried to overturn a marginal decision and failed you lost your appeal.
    The thinking was that if you used those appeals on marginal decisions that didn't go in your favour (i.e they were not used to correct a clear and obvious error but in hope of winning a close decision) then you had no grounds to complain if a poor decision was made after that as you had two appeals but wasted them.
    Do exactly the same in football.
    People - and I include the f.a etc - forget that it's only supposed to be for clear and obvious errors.
    Go with the referee and linesmans call but give each side two appeals. If they waste them, they only have themselves to blame.
    If guarantees there will won't be limitless v.a.r checks every game, hands the power of decision making back to the referee and ensures that each team has a fair opportunity to correct a clear and obvious error but punishes those trying to gain an advantage.
    And while we're at it: they also need to look at rugby for discipline. No player other than captain allowed to say anything to referee or it's a yellow card (and a ten minute sin bin) .
    Anything the captain says had to be respectful or it's a yellow card.
    Be chaos for a couple of weeks but it would sort the problem very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_G_Rection View Post
    The concept itself is a good one but it's been implemented very badly.
    They should have been looking at how other sports have done it and learned from their mistakes.
    Cricket started out with replays for every appeal but quickly learned that a system that was supposed to be for clear and obvious errors (sound familiar??) was being 'gamed' by the players to gain an advantage (either by winning a marginal decision in their favour or by slowing game down with continuous appeals.)
    They ended up going with the umpires call but giving each side two appeals against a decision.
    After looking at replays, if the umpire has made an error they overturn the decision and you get your appeal back.
    If you tried to overturn a marginal decision and failed you lost your appeal.
    The thinking was that if you used those appeals on marginal decisions that didn't go in your favour (i.e they were not used to correct a clear and obvious error but in hope of winning a close decision) then you had no grounds to complain if a poor decision was made after that as you had two appeals but wasted them.
    Do exactly the same in football.
    People - and I include the f.a etc - forget that it's only supposed to be for clear and obvious errors.
    Go with the referee and linesmans call but give each side two appeals. If they waste them, they only have themselves to blame.
    If guarantees there will won't be limitless v.a.r checks every game, hands the power of decision making back to the referee and ensures that each team has a fair opportunity to correct a clear and obvious error but punishes those trying to gain an advantage.
    And while we're at it: they also need to look at rugby for discipline. No player other than captain allowed to say anything to referee or it's a yellow card (and a ten minute sin bin) .
    Anything the captain says had to be respectful or it's a yellow card.
    Be chaos for a couple of weeks but it would sort the problem very quickly.
    And another a-f00king-men to all the above.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)