+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VAR - Would we want to play with VAR doing what it does

VAR ?
    That's entertainment for some but not for me folks.
    Maybe great for neutrals watching on Tv but footballs not a TV games show or is it now ?
    If it is a 'show' then a fair few will have to pay up for its presentation won't they.
    https://www.thelocal.es/20191115/why...could-soon-end

FOC entertainment courtesy of a generous sound recording studio for you below.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=In_PjqoZmh4

Keep football & music action 'Live' as you see it warts and all,IMO !

MOT

lol, agree of course, but cant help thinking it's another dig at those who can't go....

Seems to me that when a goal is scored they use var to find any way of disallowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Seems to me that when a goal is scored they use var to find any way of disallowing it.
    Precisely, not what VAR was intended for.

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post
    lol, agree of course, but cant help thinking it's another dig at those who can't go....
    Specifically those living in Spain..

My opinions on VAR have evolved a little this season, but I can't see it going away now that that it's arrived.

I've yet to go to a football match with VAR, but I suspect it must be really frustrating for attending spectators, especially if there is nothing (or very little?) shown on the on-stadium videoscreen.

It is, however, much more satisfactory for neutral viewers on TV where you're often more interested in "what happened" than the traditional flow of the game, which is an important part of the immersive experience when actually attending a game. I've not spoken with any players about this, but extended breaks in play only serve to disrupt concentration and possibly could result in muscle problems?

A little sideways but, as some of you know, I get to most of the home games of the New England Patriots and, even there, it is not always totally apparent what is going on even when the jumboscreens ARE being used. Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather go to the game for the adrenaline and banter, but I have the sneaking feeling that I might be getting a more complete idea of the American version when watching on the idiot box.

Anyway, back to real football.

There were three VAR incidents this past weekend that definitely caught my eye for different reasons.

The first two concern tha same incident in the Burnley v Bournemouth game.

1) It was extremely early on in the play, but with the new instructions in the LOTG demanding that an "unlawful" body part (intentional or otherwise) cannot be allowed in any continuous possession resulting in a goal, the Bournemouth "goal" against Burnley was rightfully chalked off.

2) It's not clear to me if the handball was already being flagged for VAR review before Bournemouth put the ball in the net at the other end, or if it was flagged afterwards when looking through the lead-up to their "goal".

If it was being checked before, then the penalty possibly makes some sense (if a bit harsh - was it fully intentional, especially as it didn't seem to interfere with Burnley's attacking move?).

If it was only "found" after checking the run up to the Bournemouth goal, then it should be used to disallow the goal, in which case a goal kick to Burnley should've been given.

3) I watched the whole Chelsea v Spurs game and VAR totally blew an obvious stamp by Lo Celso on Azpilicueta (Lo Celso been a bit reckless even before that challenge). They compounded this original error by supposedly acknowledging they'd got it wrong about twenty minutes later when the game was still being played.

Chelsea still won (so arguably no harm done), but it seems mental that this error couldn't have been flagged to the referee and a red card belatedly shown during the game.

I'm guessing Lo Celso will still receive a ban, but how does that help Chelsea? Not that I have any urge to help them, but I'm sure you get my drift.

It's here top stay, but it does need to get sorted out and on-field referees should take the time to look at the video review for a subset of the decisions.

I'm glad the games I referee here aren't anywhere near as complicated!

A quick addition to the overly verbose nonsense I wrote above.

I rarely see macthes here as they happen, so I've often exercised my own personal version of VAR when something has caught my eye and I'm able to immediately rewind (or the digital equivalent thereof!) to check for myself. I also rewatch games to check on the positioning of individual players, playing units (e.g. how defenses react individually or collectively) and, even more questionably, the movement of referees,

The big question about VAR is whether it's attempting to "get things correct" at the expense of the match-going public.

Given where the funds for the top leagues originate (TV/broadcasting) I fear the attending supporters are the ones that will suffer.

The rules are made. Then some jobsworth sets out to goldplate them and make them even more stringent. Typically English.

Just hope they have them sorted out better for us next season

Quote Originally Posted by asturianblanco View Post

Nah,nothing against Spain,you or anyone - honest.
    Fully paid up non-dom mercenary me now - presently for Estonia promotion company Metal Storm in Moscows Tohn 16 heavy metal venue.
    Great gig but bloody freezing 24/7 .................
    MOT

Sent from my iPhone

Your working for this promo company then MrsO?
    i work a lot of metal festivals selling Merch, you will have to let me know if something interesting comes up, dont mind the cold!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)