+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VAR - Would we want to play with VAR doing what it does

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoner View Post
    My opinions on VAR have evolved a little this season, but I can't see it going away now that that it's arrived.

I've yet to go to a football match with VAR, but I suspect it must be really frustrating for attending spectators, especially if there is nothing (or very little?) shown on the on-stadium videoscreen.

It is, however, much more satisfactory for neutral viewers on TV where you're often more interested in "what happened" than the traditional flow of the game, which is an important part of the immersive experience when actually attending a game. I've not spoken with any players about this, but extended breaks in play only serve to disrupt concentration and possibly could result in muscle problems?

A little sideways but, as some of you know, I get to most of the home games of the New England Patriots and, even there, it is not always totally apparent what is going on even when the jumboscreens ARE being used. Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather go to the game for the adrenaline and banter, but I have the sneaking feeling that I might be getting a more complete idea of the American version when watching on the idiot box.

Anyway, back to real football.

There were three VAR incidents this past weekend that definitely caught my eye for different reasons.

The first two concern tha same incident in the Burnley v Bournemouth game.

1) It was extremely early on in the play, but with the new instructions in the LOTG demanding that an "unlawful" body part (intentional or otherwise) cannot be allowed in any continuous possession resulting in a goal, the Bournemouth "goal" against Burnley was rightfully chalked off.

2) It's not clear to me if the handball was already being flagged for VAR review before Bournemouth put the ball in the net at the other end, or if it was flagged afterwards when looking through the lead-up to their "goal".

If it was being checked before, then the penalty possibly makes some sense (if a bit harsh - was it fully intentional, especially as it didn't seem to interfere with Burnley's attacking move?).

If it was only "found" after checking the run up to the Bournemouth goal, then it should be used to disallow the goal, in which case a goal kick to Burnley should've been given.

3) I watched the whole Chelsea v Spurs game and VAR totally blew an obvious stamp by Lo Celso on Azpilicueta (Lo Celso been a bit reckless even before that challenge). They compounded this original error by supposedly acknowledging they'd got it wrong about twenty minutes later when the game was still being played.

Chelsea still won (so arguably no harm done), but it seems mental that this error couldn't have been flagged to the referee and a red card belatedly shown during the game.

I'm guessing Lo Celso will still receive a ban, but how does that help Chelsea? Not that I have any urge to help them, but I'm sure you get my drift.

It's here top stay, but it does need to get sorted out and on-field referees should take the time to look at the video review for a subset of the decisions.

I'm glad the games I referee here aren't anywhere near as complicated!
    I dont like VAR for every goal. I think managers should be able to request a review but only for offside resulting in a goal.
    I have the philadelphia beagles here. Not worth supporting. Although i did enjoy them beating the Patriots, in the superbowl a couple of years ago. Patriots win too much for me to root for them. I root for buffalo bills as my wife and her family are from those parts and are fans.

FIFA and the prem league could learn a lot from rugby about using video more selectively and only where there is doubt in the mind of the on pitch match officials

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    FIFA and the prem league could learn a lot from rugby about using video more selectively and only where there is doubt in the mind of the on pitch match officials
    I thought that was what it was supposed to be, video "ASSISTED", not video "ALL THE TIME" ?

We could probably be doing with VAR tomorrow. Keith Stroud is the ref, the k nob who didn't give the blatant pen v Brentford away last season when Bamford was brought down right in front of him. Wee rat

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)