+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The NY Times view on the "Burnley Model".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The NY Times view on the "Burnley Model".

This morning on reflection I seriously think this is the only way forward for a small town club like ours.

Dyche is right, the model is working, stick to your guns SD and let me find my flight bag?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/22/s...elegation.html

Attachment 15043

I am immensely proud of the club.

The way the board, manager and players have totally aligned to the way our club works.

The fans are more divided. Many would spend £££ of our money on buying big time players, who would come with a hefty wage bill, which would put the club in big financial pressure.

We are now an established Prem club and even if we were relegated it wouldn't be a disaster.

I am just happy to leave the running of our club to the board and Sean who have proved that they know exactly what they are doing.

Ha! You're back 1959_60!

We look in great shape now - relegation worries dissipated, currently challenging for a place in Europe again.

We have a couple of out of contract players that needs sorting, Hendrick for me being the number one priority, Lennon came on yesterday and played like he is desperate for an extension. Ditto Bardsley.

Obviously SD cannot (and he will not) tolerate the sort of insubordination Gibson has slung his way.

So to summarise:
    Sort out the out of contract players.
    Shift Gibson and replace him with a player with the proper attitude.
    Add another Brownhill - incidentally, both Westwood and Cork were magnificent yesterday.
    Keep hold of McNeil at whatever cost.
    Give Dyche another £10k a week and a new BMW to keep him sweet.

Then get ready to play in the Champions League, the season after next!

"The way the board, manager and players have totally aligned to the way our club works."

Except the manager is not totally aligned to the way the club works. There were two press conferences during the January window when Dyche made his frustrations at the way the club operates obvious. There was one hilarious one where when asked about incoming transfers he said something on the lines of 'This is a club that loves money coming in, it's not so keen on money going out', then he put his head in his hands and said something like 'No,no,no that's come out all wrong, don't quote me on that'.

There was a programme on Radio Lancs last October celebrating Dyche's seven years at the club, one of the journos said that, although publicly he never deviates from the official line, privately he will tell you of his immense frustration that the club will not invest in any meaningful way in the transfer market. There was an interview in a newspaper early last summer, I forget which one, in which he said that he was forever knocking on the boardroom door and telling Garlick that they would have to stretch the budget.

Dyche is like every other manager in the world, he would like more to spend, and this idea that he's happy and content with the parsimony of the board is sheer fantasy.

Nah, I'm not buying that Sinkov.

He has been here for more than seven years now - only two managers in the top four leagues have been in post longer.

He obviously doesn't suffer fools gladly and if he really had issues with the board then he would have done one years ago.

Remember, after his first promotion HE insisted that the brass be spent on the clubs infrastructure and not on the team. That decision defines the bloke. I can't think of another manager that would have made that decision.

Unlike any other manager, I can barely remember him being in a grumpy mood in his seven year tenure with us. But when he has a gripe then he will speak out strongly about it.
    He did a brilliant job of rebutting the charge of "an assault" by Ashley Barnes at Chelsea.
    He always spoke out against diving.
    He spoke out when we didn't get a penalty in 63 years.

So if he had a downer on the board then I am in no doubt he would clearly speak his mind.

Just enjoy what we have while we have it.

I'm not sure which bits you're not buying 59, it's all factual, none of it is made up, I'm fairly sure both the press conferences I'm referring to are on here, links kindly put up by Norder, you can find them if you're really interested. He knows the way the club operates, he accepts it's up to him to manage the playing side and the board the finances, so he gets on with it as best he can, but it doesn't mean he has to be happy about it, what manager would be ? It's bizarre to think he goes to bed at night thinking, 'great, I'm starved of cash, what a good do', but what he no doubt is astute enough to realise is, that the board provides him with a rock solid firewall, if we do go down no one will blame him, the whole football world acknowledges that he's working miracles on a shoestring budget, not many managers can rest content in the knowledge that they won't take the rap for failure, so in that respect the Burnley gig has it's advantages.

I'd be more than happy to get a free rein to run the show on £80k a week!

Dyche is doing an unbelievable job with only 16 full international footballers at his disposal.

How many times has he said he would like a bit more brass to play with?

Come on sinkov, that's every manager's mantra at any global professional football club.

For Dyche to be in the top ten of the EPL (yet again) with his "small town" budget, really is nothing short of miraculous.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

How many times has he said he would like a bit more brass to play with?

Come on sinkov, that's every manager's mantra at any global professional football club.
    Yes I know BT, that's what I'm saying, it's 59 who keeps insisting our Sean is over the moon at having next to nowt to spend, while the dry powder store bursts at the seams.

I agree that we dont have a top 5 team budget.. but why do we have a budget that is not mid table? why season after season are we spending less than the relegation placed teams?
    Pipe on about "small town club" thats fine but then inline with that we must also have "small town overheads" so it should all be relative.
    what do we spend a season 20mil on average over the last 3 seasons?

Where is the money going?

Quote Originally Posted by FromTheDarkness View Post
    I agree that we dont have a top 5 team budget.. but why do we have a budget that is not mid table? why season after season are we spending less than the relegation placed teams?
    Pipe on about "small town club" thats fine but then inline with that we must also have "small town overheads" so it should all be relative.
    what do we spend a season 20mil on average over the last 3 seasons?

Where is the money going?
    Dig out the accounts and look at the wage bill and running costs of the club.

On top of that, we have to have a "clanger" fund ready for Rigg's gaffes.

Any news on Gibson?

Attachment 15053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)