+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen shoulder?

Frozen shoulder?

Has anybody out there had this god awful affliction or know anything about it.

If I forget and move my right arm outwards too high or too fast or try to swat a fly with a towel the pain is excruciating to the point of almost bringing me to tears.

When it strikes it’s about the most pain I’ve ever known.

Had it for 7-8 weeks but it’s getting no better by itself.

My wife had it - pretty awful pain by all accounts. She had to have an operation - pretty routine - completely cured it.

My sympathies mate. Not had it myself but just looked it up, as Ive often heard the term but wasn't aware of what it entails. The pain and stiffness can last anything up to 3 years, 3 years tho, good god - I thought my bout of sciatica was bad enough but that only lasted 3 months.

Had a convesation about this on Friday night.

I did mine playing cricket about 15 years ago. A 15 year old was carting my bowling all over the place so I got mad and employed my effort ball. Haven't bowled a quick ball since, can't fully swing a golf club and can't serve overarm. Hurt a lot to start with now just a bit of a dull ache especially if I do a lot of DIY.

I actually suspect some of mine is now mental rather than physical. Don't want to do anything that might wreck me shoulder at my age.

I’m not ashamed to say I was within 1% of actually crying at one point this afternoon.

I can lift my grandson and shopping bags etc but any movements of the arm outwards and upwards quickly creates more pain Shan I’ve ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’m not ashamed to say I was within 1% of actually crying at one point this afternoon.

I can lift my grandson and shopping bags etc but any movements of the arm outwards and upwards quickly creates more pain Shan I’ve ever known.
    Crikey Mick never got to that stage not because I'm tough but mine never hurt like that. There must be frozen shoulders and frozen shoulders and you've got a proper frozen shoulder. Ouch!

Do you know the cause?

My father suffered with a frozen shoulder and what he did was to erect a pulley on the landing and stood in the hall. He gradually raised his arm a little more every time he used it. He did it regularly every day. It did actually work although it took quite a while.

I used to get that, brought on by either playing cricket or work (I was a builder) plastering was the main offender big sweeping action with a loaded hand hawk.

Fortunately my doctor was in the cricket team and told me to use 'Brufen', not ibobrufen just straight forward Brufen. Worked for me.

I’ve had it, in my left and my right shoulder.

Three phases: pain/frozen-immobile/recovery.

A middle age thing apparenty, few really young and old get it.

Normally takes 12-36 months to fully recover.

I went to see a physiotherapist, who gave me special exercises to do. He also gave me cortison injections. My first, the left, healed in about 12 months, maybe a bit less. With the right I was really fortunate, it ”skipped” the frozen phase, and healed in about 5-6 months. A very well aimed cortison injection (and a new type too) did the trick.

So my advice would be to see a good physiotherapist, and also to get cortison injections in the shoulder (the trick is to hit the right spot apparently).

It’s really a pain in the arse.

Had it for 20 years now Mick it's a ****. Had steroid injections to begin with, which worked initially but faded with time. They will not give me any more and insist on physio. I know people who get over it so good luck, with me it's down to cricket bowled to many overs can't even throw a stick for the dog. Hopefully should be just short term. Get well soon, cheers Albie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)