+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I was born under a union jack

I couldn't make up my mind if the updated version of glory glory was funny/true/distasteful so I tried it on a dab.....he thought all 3.

we want in we want in

on a serious note them all

as dens is a morgue these days

but really miss a good old "forever and ever"

I always considered I Was Born Under A Union Jack to be an out and out embarrassment.

All you older people than me that used to sing it should hang your heads - you know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I always considered I Was Born Under A Union Jack to be an out and out embarrassment.

All you older people than me that used to sing it should hang your heads - you know who you are.
    Why would people need to hang their heads?

It meant nothing more than the colours, for certain all different creeds and religion sang it.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    Why would people need to hang their heads?

It meant nothing more than the colours, for certain all different creeds and religion sang it.
    It's a classic and very DFC.

We used to take a large Jack to the games with DFC since 1893 on it......was lost on manouveres at Lancaster 1st time around.

I have a photo of 8 of of us with it, 7 Catholics and one prod.

I agree nothing wrong with the song even now
    Used to be one of my FAV not as much now

There may have been different words at times but I remember subsequent lines being sung by a lot of our support as:-

Do you know where hell is,
    Hell is in The Falls,
    Heaven's up the Shankhill Road,
    We'll guard old Derry's walls............................................. ....or words to those effect.

IMO right out of the Rangers song book and yes embarrassing!

Not sure I mentioned religion or creed as the reason for embarrassment but it seems some have assumed this.

My embarrassment is, and has always been, that the union flag (not union jack) is a symbol of a union that I don't feel our nation should be any part of and our club should certainly steer well clear of it - my opinion and if others have different opinions I respect those opinions even if I don't necessarily agree with them.

I never carried a union flag, ever, and never will.

Troondee - not doubting you because pre 1973 I was not at every home game but I don’t recall these words to the song at Dens since 73 probably because our words are better .

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntz View Post
    Troondee - not doubting you because pre 1973 I was not at every home game but I don’t recall these words to the song at Dens since 73 probably because our words are better .
    They were sung but only by some of the support. You may well be right that it was pre 1973. My memory fails me!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)