+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Heading ban in training for primary school children

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Just to clarify things then, are you arguing that we should continue to allow children to head footballs because the the evidence that it is harmful does not meet your rigorous evidential requirements?
    No, as I said earlier I’m in favour of the precautionary principle but I still think the theory is a long way off proven.

Equally I would expect the same precautions applied to other sports where head trauma is a potential risk.

So we sort of agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    No, as I said earlier I’m in favour of the precautionary principle but I still think the theory is a long way off proven.

Equally I would expect the same precautions applied to other sports where head trauma is a potential risk.

So we sort of agree?
    Not really Grist. Having reread your posts, your commitment to the precautionary principle is grudging and luke warm to say the least.
    Having grandchildren who will be immediately affected by the ban, I am very glad that the duty of care to them is in more enlightened hands than yours.

Well maybe, maybe not

Interesting though that you should bring up the duty of care.

Should the coronavirus pandemic develop as expected then one outcome could be the suspension of football matches, the possible end result being this season not being completed. It would be a duty of care to take such measures.

A typically disingenuous response, implying God knows what. That Millers supporters would want to risk the lives of football supporters generally just because it could spoil our chances of promotion?

A duty of care apples no matter what the circumstances are.

A duty of care apples no matter what the circumstances are.
    If it's all the same to you I would prefer not to be lectured on the duty of care by someone as patently uncaring as you Grist.

Whilst there are indicators it's far from a proven link.
    What research have you seen that tells you there is no priven link - or are you making it up.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    What research have you seen that tells you there is no priven link - or are you making it up.
    The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), Queen Mary University of London and the Institute of Occupational Medicine have launched a study of 300 former professional footballers.

Lead researcher Prof Neil Pearce, from LSHTM, said: "We don't know much about the risks from concussion in football, and we know almost nothing about the long-term effects from heading the ball repeatedly.
    "This study will provide, for the first time, persuasive evidence of the long-term effects on cognitive function from professional football."

So then if their study “will provide FOR THE FIRST TIME, persuasive evidence surely means that persuasive evidence doesn’t exist at the moment? If it did it wouldn’t be the first time would it?

But as I said more than once in this thread I’m in favour of applying the precautionary principle but the theory is still a long way off being proven.

I asked our local football club if we could try to hire an indoor gym to train our teams during this bad weather.
    My response was
    "We can't due to health & safety incase one of the players falls and bangs his head it could be serious"
    I'm buying some bubble wrap !!!

Quote Originally Posted by vespabri View Post
    I asked our local football club if we could try to hire an indoor gym to train our teams during this bad weather.
    My response was
    "We can't due to health & safety incase one of the players falls and bangs his head it could be serious"
    I'm buying some bubble wrap !!!
    Let me be the first to say that as far as I am aware there is no evidence to show conclusively that wearing bubble wrap reduces the seriousness of a blow to the head while training for football in an indoor gym while the weather is inclement. However, if this measure is extended to all sports where physical contact may take place in an indoor setting and at all seasons of the year, then as I have said elsewhere on several occasions I would tentatively support the wearing of bubble wrap as a precautionary measure as a duty of care, even though I clearly think it is another example of bleeding heart liberalism.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast