+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memories of Reading away

Memories of Reading away

I've only been twice , and that was the old Elm Park, i've nivva been to the new ground , Alan Clarke last game wa fust time , we took a reyt battering on an offield , neet mare day allround , for some unknown reason loads of Chelsea fans ? Attacked us on the railway station , it wa awful , allus remember an announcement " get this train off the station " some ov our fans were jumping on when train wa moving , reyt shyte day that wa , next the Promotion season t Premiership ? We won 4-2/4-3 carnt rememba to much abart it , it wa warm n sunny and we needed a drink !! Did anybody else go to them games ? Good luck to them that go setdi , it's a long trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I've only been twice , and that was the old Elm Park, i've nivva been to the new ground , Alan Clarke last game wa fust time , we took a reyt battering on an offield , neet mare day allround , for some unknown reason loads of Chelsea fans ? Attacked us on the railway station , it wa awful , allus remember an announcement " get this train off the station " some ov our fans were jumping on when train wa moving , reyt shyte day that wa , next the Promotion season t Premiership ? We won 4-2/4-3 carnt rememba to much abart it , it wa warm n sunny and we needed a drink !! Did anybody else go to them games ? Good luck to them that go setdi , it's a long trip !
    I was at both Roma , although the Reds fans in 1979 were hardly shrinking violets that day either .

Right battle just up the road from Elm Park and near the station , with no police in sight .

The game on our way to the PL was a warm Easter Monday Bank Holiday game with a huge reds following .

It was red hot and we won 2-1 with two first half Andy Liddell goals who stepped in the side for the injured John Hendrie .

A massive win that was with about 6 games remaining .

I was at the 7-0 game too later on in 1979 and it proved to be one of the best results we've ever had , although it didn't feel like that at the time .

Clarkie had seen enough after that and got rid of a number of players who'd got us out of the fourth division the season before .

Out went Pugh , Graham , Bell , Millar and Collins and over the next few months in came Aylott , Parker , Lester , Cooper , Evans and Downes .

The rest as they say is history .

Thanks for that Animal , i don't remember much of th game !! So 2-1 win it wa , them britvic 55s ed some kick back then !!! oh dear ,,,,

Av only bin once to the old Elm park in the mid 90s. A very forgettable 0-0 draw unfortunately Highlight worra pre match bevvy in maidenhead

Maidenhead ? Atha sure it's miles away , farraway frum Royil Barksha as frumptarn !!

I think when the team is relegated back to League 1 it almost makes a mockery of the good times.

Went a few years ago with my son to the new stadium- was disgusted that the car parking fee was £8 (probably about 6-7 years ago) - we played reasonably well but eventually lost (I think) 4-1. Money grabbing hits!

Av nivva been to Elm Park or the new plastic place.

Wo that 7-0 defeat the game weear Clarkie took 'em darn pit the following week to show 'em wot real hard work wo like and to realise what fooak did to earn money to pay their footballer's wages ?

Michael Parkinson's new club. Bezzie mates wi owner, that Majesty bloke. Dunt pay forriz seeat.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 26-02-2020 at 03:30 PM.

He doesn't pay for his Yorkshire Tea either

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    He doesn't pay for his Yorkshire Tea either
    Luvvit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast