+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: the bury effect

the bury effect

brecks made a good point tonight about what he called the bury effect.

because they are no longer with us 1 team per saturday doesnt have a game.
    fleetwood should play bury the last game of the season.. as he said imagine if they were 1 point short, or 1 or 2 points ahead going into the last game but they dont play

wycombe should play bury on 7th march
    sunderland on 21st march
    ipswich 28th march
    portsmouth 25th april
    and fleetwood 3rd may

Bury effect! It's all in Breck's head. Fleetwood have had 8 months to prepare for the fact that if they are not 3+ points ahead of everyone else going into that final Saturday then they stand the chance of missing out on automatic promotion/playoffs or getting relegated if they were down the bottom end.

Wasnt the Second Division (what is now the Champship of course) 1 team less back in about season '86 or '87. I seem to remember that very same odd feeling of a team missing out each week, because the league only had 23 teams.
    I think though that 24 teams in a league is far too many anyway, that means 46 games a season even before any cup games and pre season friendlies!. The Prem have a better idea of making it 20 teams, although maybe 22 is a better number.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Wasnt the Second Division (what is now the Champship of course) 1 team less back in about season '86 or '87. I seem to remember that very same odd feeling of a team missing out each week, because the league only had 23 teams.
    I think though that 24 teams in a league is far too many anyway, that means 46 games a season even before any cup games and pre season friendlies!. The Prem have a better idea of making it 20 teams, although maybe 22 is a better number.
    I can't agree with the ammount of games being too many. As Cam says Fleetwood have had 8 months to sort it as has every other team have.
    Each team/club has lost a weeks revenue and in thi division with a lot less money coming through television then it could be the difference between going under or not.

The cups are not taken serously now and even the old lower division cup has been taken over by Premiership reserves. Each club has many more players than they used to have so they have no excuse to not field a team.

For the supporters like myself who won't go out of their way to watch any football ont telly then there aren't enough matches to enjoy.

Hey up Froggy (did you enjoy that online pint of beer I promised you btw lol).

Hey, I still think we play too many games a season though, and I dont know why we need 24 teams in a League.

Yo Froggy lol, what about the days before we even invented the Play Offs eh, when it was the old basic 3 up and 3 down.

Why not look at the alternative though?

All teams will play the same number of games by the end of the season.

Fleetwood will complete their season one week earlier than everyone one else.

Therefore, they have the opportunity to "put points on the board" ahead of everyone else and thus create more pressure on any other teams who may be just below them in the league tables, at that point.

It could also be argued that, due the above, Fleetwood have an unfair advantage over their near rivals, because they will not playing their last game at the same time as everyone else!!