+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This season

This season

Well there's a quarter of the season left to play and we are top.

But......Will this season complete?

The corona virus is impacting on sporting events with cancellations and behind closed doors games.

Will this season be abandoned as null and void if the outbreak gets worse?

Not like you to be sucked in by the scary words the press are using.

I’m surprised I’ve not heard anyone saying that God is punishing us with plagues and floods.

I’m sure we’ll be ok.

A bit alarmist at this stage I would have thought. It may very well lead to some postponements and matches being played behind closed doors but it would have to be a pandemic of unprecedented proportions to lead to the abandonment of a full season's football.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    A bit alarmist at this stage I would have thought. It may very well lead to some postponements and matches being played behind closed doors but it would have to be a pandemic of unprecedented proportions to lead to the abandonment of a full season's football.
    Yes that's what it is, alarmist.

However the country seems to be driven by social media and that influences government decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes that's what it is, alarmist.

However the country seems to be driven by social media and that influences government decisions.
    I've not seen this mooted anywhere else as a potential consequence of the virus spreading, but then MillersMad is my sole concession to social media.

Ireland v italy cancelled.

It's because God is punishing us with plagues and floods.

I woke up this morning singing Dean Martin and Bing Crosby songs, turns out I’ve got crooner virus!.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    I've not seen this mooted anywhere else as a potential consequence of the virus spreading, but then MillersMad is my sole concession to social media.
    Really? I'm surprised you've not seen the reports of Ireland v Italy rugby possible cancellation, behind closed doors matches in Serie A, possible suspension of Olympics.

Where there are crowds the virus will spread a valid control is to prevent crowds gathering, surely this applies to football matches?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Really? I'm surprised you've not seen the reports of Ireland v Italy rugby possible cancellation, behind closed doors matches in Serie A, possible suspension of Olympics.

Where there are crowds the virus will spread a valid control is to prevent crowds gathering, surely this applies to football matches?
    Grist your original post raised the possibility that the remainder of the football season could be abandoned and rendered null and void because of the corona virus. That is to say that up to 550 football matches in the top 4 divisions in England alone could be permanently cancelled.
    I responded by suggesting that at this stage that was a bit alarmist
    In your second post you agreed that it was alarmist but blamed social media.
    I replied that although not a social media aficionado myself, I had not seen anywhere a suggestion of the kind you mooted (ie the abandonment of the entire football league programme, which if I may remind you again was the subject of your thread).
    You then expressed surprise at my ignorance and asked me if I had not heard of the possible cancellation of one rugby international and the playing of 5 Serie A matches behind closed doors. Well, yes I had heard of these events as well as the speculation about the Olympics being affected in Japan, where, incidentally there is world-wide condemnation of the government's incompetence in responding to the outbreak. So the measures taken where the virus already has a strong hold seem sensible and proportionate.
    Speculation at this stage that our entire football season could be abandoned is neither proportionate nor helpful.
    It is likely that some matches may be postponed, but more likely that they could be played behind closed doors as in Italy.
    So could you clarify your position for me Grist as I am confused. You have gone from being alarmist, to not being alarmist but blaming social media's influence on government, and back to being alarmist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast