+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Getting rid of Shankland.

Getting rid of Shankland.

Could be easier said than done.Reports in the news today that he is in no hurry to leave in the summer.The last of a dying breed.

Absolute *******s sensationalist headlines tbh. Claiming he is dropping hints about his future & staying at Utd next season when all he is really saying is that its nice to know that he's part of the plans.

In reply to Ashgars comments about wanting to build a team around him next season, Shankland said:

“It’s always nice to hear that. You want to be part of the plans at any football club. That’s what I aim towards every day by working hard.

“If I keep scoring goals, I’ll manage to keep myself in there. That’s the main thing for me and hopefully we can get this league won sooner rather than later.”

Bloody Nora, that wasn’t in the plan. We’re no paying him £100k a week and a £10k per goal bonus just to have him hang around like a bad smell. According to FunMad that’ll just lead to admin and trust me they know a thing or two about a good admin.

Or Two.

£50k release clause though James

LOL

Anyone see him on the pitch still in full kit in the pyshing rain with the wee boy AFTER the ICT game?.I have said it before but he will be inducted into our HOF,FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Could be easier said than done.Reports in the news today that he is in no hurry to leave in the summer.The last of a dying breed.
    Fantastic if he stays. We could really do with a striker like him leading our attack in our 1st season back up in the premier.

The thing is everyone keeps saying he is away in the summer but that could mean relegation again.Lets say we sell him and bring in Nisbet from Dunfermline we may still go down because the step up maybe too much for him.I think we all know Shankland scores between 15 and 25 goals in the Premiership and that in my opinion will keep us up.
    If we were to even finish 10th in the Premiership we get roughly 1.25 million in prize money which is 750,000 more than we get for winning the Championship,LOA cost us nothing bar his signing on fee if he keeps us up we get 1.25 million and then even if and its a big IF we got relegated the next season because we sold him we pick up another 1.12 million for finishing 12th and going straight down.
    Only a massive bid should be considered for Shankland and only if he indicates he wants to leave otherwise we keep him and establish ourselves as a Premiership team.Even if he leaves on a free in 2 years and 3 months the club will have accrued a few million pounds in the top league rather than buttons in the Championship.
    If Mark Ogren takes the short term view and wants his money back fair enough but i have always thought the owner is looking at the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    The thing is everyone keeps saying he is away in the summer but that could mean relegation again.Lets say we sell him and bring in Nisbet from Dunfermline we may still go down because the step up maybe too much for him.I think we all know Shankland scores between 15 and 25 goals in the Premiership and that in my opinion will keep us up.
    If we were to even finish 10th in the Premiership we get roughly 1.25 million in prize money which is 750,000 more than we get for winning the Championship,LOA cost us nothing bar his signing on fee if he keeps us up we get 1.25 million and then even if and its a big IF we got relegated the next season because we sold him we pick up another 1.12 million for finishing 12th and going straight down.
    Only a massive bid should be considered for Shankland and only if he indicates he wants to leave otherwise we keep him and establish ourselves as a Premiership team.Even if he leaves on a free in 2 years and 3 months the club will have accrued a few million pounds in the top league rather than buttons in the Championship.
    If Mark Ogren takes the short term view and wants his money back fair enough but i have always thought the owner is looking at the bigger picture.
    Agree with all your points GB.

Dundee United should not be in the business of pushing good players out of the club to 'cash in'. We should be doing everything we can to keep LOA happy and secure. So far, Ogren has talked the talk, time to walk the walk now and put up the 'NOT FOR SALE' signs.

Obviously, every player has his price. But in the case of LOA, this would need to be an eye-watering figure IMO.

Ogren has already said it would take over £3m to get him. Anything just over £3m with a sell-on clause I reckon he'd be away (if it was the right club for him). Lets hope we get another season out of him though.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)