+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This persistence in playing pawlett

Pawlett is excellent at driving with the ball. No one can deny that. His problem is that he contributes absolutely nothing else. He has zero end product whatsoever which is ideally what we need him in the team for.

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Pawlett has no pace??

He played fine last week tbh and its a quality player

Powers is more of a concern, apart from Partick away can't think of the team doing well with him in the side. Adam King any worse?
    Were you there today? The poor lad is finished!

However, we were out fought all over the park today, and that not just down to Pawlett, and as you mention it, Powers!

our win ratio with Pawlett is close to 40% when he starts vs high 90s% when he doesn't proves he has a negative effect on the whole team[/QUOTE]

That doesn't actually imply causality as there are are loads of other variables at play.

I still agree in questioning the wisdom of giving Pawlett as much game time as he has been having lately as he's not contributing much.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Actually I agree, but it's definitely too simplistic to blame a result like today all on him (I know tHeArAb was just giving the stats &#128077. By far the biggest factor has to be Butcher missing (sorry Whitfield but there you are &#128539.
    I think anyone who was there yesterday could see our obvious lack of width was the biggest problem and we didn't start playing until McMullan came on. We have no natural wide players so we've had to stick McMullan, Pawlett, Bingham & Appere out wide at times this season and it's not really worked a lot of the time. Robbie HAS to address this in the summer and as I posted on another thread a few weeks back he needs to bring in another 7 or 8 players just to be competitive in the top league next season.

Personally apart from Appere, Shankland, Liam Smith, Glass, Mochrie and the goalie I wouldnt lose any sleep if any of the others left in the summer.

I wonder how many of the current squard we are obliged to keep for next season per contract commitments?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    as I posted on another thread a few weeks back he needs to bring in another 7 or 8 players just to be competitive in the top league next season.

Personally apart from Appere, Shankland, Liam Smith, Glass, Mochrie and the goalie I wouldnt lose any sleep if any of the others left in the summer.
    7 or 8 in 1 window would do more damage than running with our current squad imho. I agree with those numbers, but done gradually over a couple of seasons would see us where we need to be.

2 or 3 good signings this summer an imho we are more than good enough to stay above a relegation scrap, the manager though needs to stop playing players out of their natural positions and that means 2 of those players need to be proper wide men.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    7 or 8 in 1 window would do more damage than running with our current squad imho. I agree with those numbers, but done gradually over a couple of seasons would see us where we need to be.

2 or 3 good signings this summer an imho we are more than good enough to stay above a relegation scrap, the manager though needs to stop playing players out of their natural positions and that means 2 of those players need to be proper wide men.
    If we only sign 2/3 players and 2 of them are wide players I would expect us to come straight back down. We're not good enough all over the pitch. And we don't have a coach who can get the best out of the players he already has.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    If we only sign 2/3 players and 2 of them are wide players I would expect us to come straight back down. We're not good enough all over the pitch. And we don't have a coach who can get the best out of the players he already has.
    I think you are giving the squads of the teams in the bottom half of the league above too much credit. Many of those teams have lesser quality players than us but they are organised and stay together. Our team which went 9 in a row would give them a run for their money right now without additions.... its the managers messing about with things that has started convincing our fans that even our better players are not good enough

If we don't have Shankland's goals next season and stick with players that quite clearly aren't good enough we will go back down again so we DO need to make wholesale changes to even compete with the Ross Countys and St Mirrens.

These players should be showing thay are ready for the step up but unfortunately they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    If we don't have Shankland's goals next season and stick with players that quite clearly aren't good enough we will go back down again so we DO need to make wholesale changes to even compete with the Ross Countys and St Mirrens.

These players should be showing thay are ready for the step up but unfortunately they aren't.
    Wholesale changes have never worked for us in any window, would you genuinely want us to try it again and hope it works vs going with the team who got us up and went on a run? We know that team can win games albeit against lesser opposition, it has been the managers messing that has twice derailed us. If we go back to what was working and add a few, that would absolutely be good enough to compete if not better Ross County/St Mirren

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)