+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and football.

I think you took the bait there RA.

Good thing about all this, is that we're probably all less likely to get I'll generally as hygiene standards are better than usual!

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    I think you took the bait there RA.
    Lol...probably. He sometimes seems to forget he’s a woodwork teacher!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    which could be because the corona dead are in addition to those killed by flu, cars, cats and so on, and so "new".

However amongst the lies, damned lies and statistics, I learn from ONS that 56,000 deaths in the UK in 2019 are down to flu, not 17,000: so who knows which is correct

That 56,000 is "excess winter deaths", not just flu, but people (mainly over 65's) who are counted as having died prematurely due to respiratory infections (which are by the way the usual manner of death for old people) such as flu, pneumonia etc generally but not solely as a result of various factors but including, poverty (poor diet, poor living conditions), air pollution, low temperatures, smoking etc.

It could be that deaths from Corona virus are in addition to those from flu and other respiratory diseases, but as I pointed out in a previous post, there is no context to judge this, if for example 379 over 65's die every day than would be expected due to excess winter deaths, then corona virus doesn't look very threatening, the government could actually save far more people by tackling pollution, smoking and poverty.

Its ironic but the global panic is going to paralyse the world economy, risking a recession and even more premature deaths as a result.

We'd have been better off being calm, giving clear advice to people on hygiene. self isolation if they have the symptoms, not visiting GP's and hospitals etc.

The reality is that 99% will survive but some won't and there is no treatment that will save those who won't, all that can be done is provide ventilation until they die. But the numbers still won't be anywhere near the thousands who die every year with neither widespread media concern or governments acting to prevent them.

Season’s restart postponed till no earlier than April 30th now. Still optimistic to anticipate crowds being possible by then, imo.

I think the most likely scenario is matches behind closed doors to start and then maybe allow fans in if the situation improves.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I think the most likely scenario is matches behind closed doors to start and then maybe allow fans in if the situation improves.
    ... with games on pay per view (RamsTV, iFollow etc) if crowds aren't allowed in.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    ... with games on pay per view (RamsTV, iFollow etc) if crowds aren't allowed in.
    That would seem to be a solution though there are worries that fans will turn up outside grounds where games are being played as happened with PSG.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    That would seem to be a solution though there are worries that fans will turn up outside grounds where games are being played as happened with PSG.
    That may well happen Swale but I think most Rams fans would rather watch the game on a TV than stand outside being blissfully unaware of what is happening inside the stadium. However, I am sure that a few will go to PP......

I am sure they will, let's face it many are acting like locusts in supermarkets!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    That may well happen Swale but I think most Rams fans would rather watch the game on a TV than stand outside being blissfully unaware of what is happening inside the stadium. However, I am sure that a few will go to PP......
    They will need draft lager for the real match experience.

What would be interesting is if they beam back the game to fan parks elsewhere in the area.

(Thats a joke btw)

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)