+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and football.

Writing off the results of 25-30 matches in the circumstances you describe is not really a precedent for writing off the 2700 plus matches you are advocating imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So it sounds like we will have 13 weeks of lockdown in some form or another if things run how the scotch scientists believe to be the case.

That takes out April, May and most of June

So it looks like maybe behind doors could start beginning of July?

Of course many players will be out of contract by then and even committed to new teams. Even if the leagues agree to blanket extend all players contracts for 2 months there will be issues .

So looks like the only way to get league games finished in any sensible form would be to cancel all european competitions, cancel the FA Cup and playing twice a week. This is the "best case scenario" assuming that after 13 weeks things will be OK for limited social contact - but I doubt mass gatherings such as crowds will happen.

Anyone believe this can happen? As for me I'd sooner have an undisturbed 20-21 season, rather than try to cram the end of 2019-20 in and starting 20-21 late. Write it off now.
    It all depends on timing of the easing of restrictions. IMO the many vested interests will ensure that the current season is finished in front of empty stadia, the new season will start late, and depending on how late it starts either some comps will be sacrificed (League cup prob) for a season and/or teams will only play each other once. Another possibility is allow euro-league qualifying teams to increase their squads and effectively run two parallel teams, one for league one for cups (I know this sort of happens now)

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    What rules? Where exactly is this stipulated in the PL or EFL rules? My understanding is that it isn't because it was never envisaged.

I still think the season will be completed, there are various contracts with Tv companies etc. Even if that means starting it in August and starting next season after a couple of weeks break. Thats not impractical and not beyond the wit of intelligent human beings to organise!
    As quoted, any fixtures not completed are null and void. It wasn't difficult to understand was it? If they don't finish the season, they can't possibly promote/ relegate anyone. Null and void.

As for finishing the season, it isn't as easy as you make out. You have to comply with UEFA and their fixtures. You have to allow for the rest periods that will be lost. You will throw the transfer market up in the air.
    On a personal front, my club was due to knock down the main stand this summer. God knows whats happening now.
    So it isn't as simple as you are projecting Swale.
    Remember everyone would have to agree and comply.
    The longer this quarantine goes on, ( the signs look like it getting extended) then the odds are the season is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    As quoted, any fixtures not completed are null and void. It wasn't difficult to understand was it? If they don't finish the season, they can't possibly promote/ relegate anyone. Null and void.

As for finishing the season, it isn't as easy as you make out. You have to comply with UEFA and their fixtures. You have to allow for the rest periods that will be lost. You will throw the transfer market up in the air.
    On a personal front, my club was due to knock down the main stand this summer. God knows whats happening now.
    The longer this quarantine goes on, ( the signs look like it getting extended) then the odds are the season is gone.
    I can see hear the phrase 'I'll see you in court' becoming well-worn

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I imagine that’ll be the case whichever solution is found, Andy.

As Jurgen Klopp suggested...’football is the most important of the least important things’...it can’t be that difficult to achieve a fair conclusion, but imo ‘voiding’ the season with so much of it done would be the most unfair.

Did you say knock down, or did you mean let fall down? 🙄

Surely it will just be condensed and pushed back slightly. This issue isn't just the English game, everywhere will have the same problems.

Except that isn't what you posted!

I quote "If the season is not finished as normal, it is null and void. Those are the rules end of."

Now I ask again which rules state if the season isn't finished as normal its null and void? Your now saying IF fixtures aren't completed, which is different and I would agree if thats the case.

I didn't say finishing the season was easy, I said it was possible to do so, if there is a will.

Yes they have to comply with UEFA, but the UK isn't an exception all leagues are in the same situation and UEFA will come to an agreement with all concerned if thats what it takes. They have already postponed the Euros!

I see no issue complying with rest periods - after all we are in one now and players can take a break of 3 or 4 weeks before starting next season later. Competitions can be either sidelined or format amended to achieve what is required.

The transfer market is going to be thrown up in the air anyway and its purely an administrative change to alter the transfer window.

Well in domestic competitions there is a majority rule for the prem and the EFL for decisions, but its not inconceivable that an agreement on a plan can be reached.

I'd agree that if it can't be restarted by the end of May then there are issues but again its not beyond the wit of UEFA the FA etc to come up with a workable solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I QUITE AGREE ANDY.

Someone is bound to squeal like a piglet, whatever is decided

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    Did you say knock down, or did you mean let fall down? ��
    Either way, I wouldn't be bothered. As long as it's gone. What's lined up is lovely.

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)