+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Thread: Coronavirus and football.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    until its September, I'm in the "believe it when I see it" camp

I must admit Im rather puzzled as to how you can get free school meals when not at school thought - are the school can****s opened for particular needy group of children - or is it just some dosh handed out that the parents can spend on beer and fags?
    Strictly means tested vouchers that can't be redeemed on, alcohol,cigarettes or lottery ticket ,scratch cards etc

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Don’t really understand how Coronavirus has been allowed to interrupt that process.
    I believe most courts closed down for a lengthy period and so I imagine the same would have applied to the arbitration panels etc that might be considering our case. Besides which it probably still has any number of appeals to run, so I cant see anything being enforced this season, if indeed there is a case to answer.

Personally Id sooner see the matter put to bed asap so the sword of Damocles will n longer hang over us, and this season may be a good one for it to happen. Even if that means relegation to Division 3, since all the clubs in that league will have been badly hit by covid and, if there is ever an easy opportunity to gain promotion, it should be next year.

I also wonder what the long term impact of covid will be for FFP. The current season will extend beyond our (and probably everyone's) normal financial year end of 30-06 which will create glitches in the accounts. Covid financial losses will then spread across YE 30-06-20 and undoubtedly 21 also... which in turn will impact FFP through 2024 at least, using the 3 year rolling model. Thus all those years will be affected by reduced income whilst outgoings on player wages will depend on contractual terms and player goodwill. For many it will be like relegation without a parachute

The good news for the system is that FFP will stress the capacity to spend and covid itself will have created financial restrictions on how much can be spent. Transfer fees and player contracts will have to be slashed, leaving covid to achieve what FFP has struggled to do. You cant get round covid by selling your house to your Dad.
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 17-06-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Still some concerns about our possible points deduction. Don’t really understand how Coronavirus has been allowed to interrupt that process.
    Courts closed. Arbitration panels closed. Could have been done via Zoom or a similar programme but they seem to have chosen to wait until normality returns to address these matters.

Is there an echo in here?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Courts closed. Arbitration panels closed. Could have been done via Zoom or a similar programme but they seem to have chosen to wait until normality returns to address these matters.
    That’s what I meant, MA. So much has been done in other areas via online/video conferencing facilities since March and I’d have thought the issues relating to us Wednesday and Reading could have been sorted.

Given it took them years to even accept faxes and then emails into courts as evidence, it will probably be many moons before video based examination and cross examination will be acceptable.

Data/ Internet security issues, horrible... What if a juror's connection drops, if the evidence is hacked etc

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Given it took them years to even accept faxes and then emails into courts as evidence, it will probably be many moons before video based examination and cross examination will be acceptable.

Data/ Internet security issues, horrible... What if a juror's connection drops, if the evidence is hacked etc
    What...you mean as opposed to witness intimidation, jurors being nobbled or evidence tampered with?
    Take your point and I’m sure there’ll be issues with all systems, but more important stuff than the integrity of three football clubs is being sorted online at the moment.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)