+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and football.

And they have awarded the title to their equivalent of Liverpool, who were 15 points clear with 1 game to go.

BUT in Belgium they have a playoff involving the top 6 finishers to determine the actual champion.

I would commend this as a way to finalise the PL title if ever our foreshortened season gets underway. Far less games to play. Same could be done to settle promotion and relegation with top and bottom 6 in the top leagues.

Home advantage to higher ranked teams:

1 and 2 get byes, 3v6, 4v5 etc. Reverse at bottom.

Home advantage might be limited by empty stadia, but PA systems could no doubt blare out pre home team chanting

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    And they have awarded the title to their equivalent of Liverpool, who were 15 points clear with 1 game to go.

BUT in Belgium they have a playoff involving the top 6 finishers to determine the actual champion.

I would commend this as a way to finalise the PL title if ever our foreshortened season gets underway. Far less games to play. Same could be done to settle promotion and relegation with top and bottom 6 in the top leagues.

Home advantage might be limited by empty stadia, but PA systems could no doubt blare out pre home team chanting
    The Rugby League (and Union I think) model for you then GP. It’s a money spinner so I’d expect it to have your support.
    Okay if everyone knows those are the rules beforehand, but when there’s a team that’s 25 points ahead with 30 left to play for it seems unfair to me.
    To me a League is precisely that and the winners and losers are determined by the results over a season...it shouldn’t just be a lengthy prelude to a knockout competition imo.

In a world of compromise there are no perfect solutions, but this at least resets a competition and if the likes of Liverpool, Leeds, Rotherham etc are scared of it, they are maybe not the teams we all think they are.

A counter argument is that teams who cannot mathematically win the title or avoid relegation could be excluded from the playoffs.

Assuming it's behind closed doors, I'm not sure how it would make massive money other than through pay per view TV revenue. That TV revenue could be fairly distributed to support the lower leagues and grassroot teams that are seriously struggling, as opposed to being sucked up by the big clubs. Or maybe they could be designated "games for the NHS"

According to the BBC

The summer transfer window will be moved and contracts ending on 30 June will be extended for a short period under proposals agreed by football's major stakeholders.

BBC Sport understands talks initiated by world governing body Fifa and including confederations, federations, clubs, players and leagues have reached agreement over a number of issues arising out of the Covid-19 pandemic.

All parties now accept that completing the 2019-20 season by 30 June, as initially hoped, will not happen.

So much for Thicky's assertion that this couldn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    According to the BBC

The summer transfer window will be moved and contracts ending on 30 June will be extended for a short period under proposals agreed by football's major stakeholders.

BBC Sport understands talks initiated by world governing body Fifa and including confederations, federations, clubs, players and leagues have reached agreement over a number of issues arising out of the Covid-19 pandemic.

All parties now accept that completing the 2019-20 season by 30 June, as initially hoped, will not happen.

So much for Thicky's assertion that this couldn't happen!
    It throws up a few problems though. Firstly, it can only be advisory and could be legally challenged by unhappy parties.

Are players on the brink of a big contract going to risk themselves playing for their 'previous' club?

Are sponsors going to continue making payments to a club or start payments to a club. FIFA may control football, but they don't control employment and contract law.

Belgium. The country with pretty harsh movement restrictions allowing "playoffs"? It is true that they have this 6 team playoff every season but I have not been able to find anywhere stating they are definitely going to hold them this season. If anybody can provide a link to a news story confirming this I would be grateful. My lad lives there. He is allowed out to do 3 things.....

1. shop for food
    2. visit the chemist's should he require any medicine
    3. to go to work, he is a pilot with a freight company and most of what they are moving at the moment are medical supplies.

No playoffs in Belgium this year, they have awarded title as per my post

My post refers to fact that, although 15 points clear with 1 game to go, the title was still not guaranteed because they ordinarily have playoffs.

So there is perhaps precedent for giving it to Liverpool

No playoffs in Belgium this year, they have awarded title as per my post

My post refers to fact that, although 15 points clear with 1 game to go, the title was still not guaranteed because they ordinarily have playoffs.

So there is perhaps precedent for giving it to Liverpool
    On the subject of football rather than Coronavirus...there are by my reckoning only four clubs in the top four divisions for whom things are a ‘foregone’. Liverpool, at one extreme, and Southend, Bolton and Stevenage at the other.

Things look pretty bleak for the likes of Barnsley and Luton too I know, but they’re still in with a shout.

With that in mind, would it work to return to those old fashioned play off systems of the ‘80’s (I think) when the relegation candidates of the league above played the promotion candidates from the league below?

Nothing is perfect and personally I still favour a Duckworth Lewis equivalent based on home and away form throughout the whole season, but it would reduce the number of matches still to be played if - for example - the current bottom three/four of the Premier League were to play the current top three or four of the Championship - probably behind closed doors - either on a knockout or mini league basis.

A decision will have to be made soon and there seems to be nothing but a deafening silence from the authorities.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 10-04-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Scotland's FA have announced no football until mid June at the earliest.

I thought that was the case during the last 30 odd years

Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)