+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The much maligned midifeld...

The much maligned midifeld...

was excellent tonight. You wonder just what sparked that turnaround but fair play to them. Probably over simplifying but without Donnelly there was only one rather than two out of three (Campbell) who is a technical liability and that guy had an absolute blinder. Or maybe the midfield not constantly giving the ball away does make it is that simple.

Long ran himself into the ground leading the line and while the wingers were, well, we'll be generous and say underwhelming in their delivery, they were mucking around far enough up the pitch to stop their full backs contributing much at all. Grimshaw on the other hand was often high enough to be an extra midfielder and suddenly our 4-3-3 was looking all the rage.

Lovely finish from Watt and even Ilic looked vaguely competent, as much as that might say more about Ross County than him.

Negatives, Hartley lost his man badly for the corner though recovered well and Tait, while ok, is surely done as first choice at this level. You'd probably take both next season as back-up if their financial situation and pride allowed them to take wage cuts but if not it's time to say thanks and good luck.

Was refreshing to see us turn up for a 2nd half for a change. Gallacher, Grimshaw, Campbell and Long the stand-outs tonight. Where has that vavaa-voom 5 yard burst of pace come from with Long?

Long has had a wee zip in his acceleration for a while, it's very impressive. He's obviously not Chris Humphrey over longer distances but as you say his 5-10 yard burst is excellent.

Having just watched the highlights, it's unfair to blame Hartley for their goal. They worked a clever wee move to get their guy space and outfox three of ours...Hartley was just the one left looking worst.

Thought O’Hara worked a selfless shift in midfield and intercepted various attacks from our opponents. IMO I would certainly offer him a contract at the end of the season. Tony Watt will only get better the fitter he gets and will do us a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    Thought O’Hara worked a selfless shift in midfield and intercepted various attacks from our opponents. IMO I would certainly offer him a contract at the end of the season. Tony Watt will only get better the fitter he gets and will do us a turn.
    O'Hara - the more the lad improves, the more he'll be thought of as one to take back to his home club. Robbo should tell him to 'tread water', join us, then kick-on next season and he'll get a big move ... just my opinion.

Watt - can't deny I was anti-bringing him to FP. Thus far, I'm impressed with his stature, attitude, commitment and undeniable quality of touch / vision. You're right, he'll do us a turn for the run-in. After the 'shop-window' appearances who knows? All in all, been a great match so far. I'd imagine we protected ourselves on some sort of 'pay as you play with bonuses' deal for the period. Bet he gets a double at Tynie

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)