+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: McKenna and AFC defence

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    Even a super fan like yourself must be able to admit that Considine is better at left back than at centre back.

He is a centre back who has played left back more times for us than his natural position.

He is getting too old to play left back now and if he has never been able to cement his place as a first choice centre back he isn’t going to at 33.

Nobody is going to come in and improve him and Taylor so they should be back ups at best.
    Greig Leigh will be signed permanently to replace left back

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51772461

Andrew Considine: Aberdeen defender has 'fingers crossed' for Scotland call-up

Surely he's not THAT bad?

I think McKenna will be gone in the summer and wouldn't be overly surprised if Devlin is allowed to go as well, if McInnes is still around. I'd guess Taylor and Considine will still be here and we'll bring in 1 new defender to replace McKenna who will become a first pick. I'd also expect that in addition to signing Leigh permanently to play LB, we'll sign some versatile jack of all trades who can play a few defensive positions (possibly on loan), in the style of Ball, Hoban, Vyner.

For what it's worth I'd love to see Considine get a Scotland call up - aye he's not great, but he's been better than McKenna and Devlin this season and they seem to be in every squad. He's a likeable sort of chap, gives his all, loves the club - shows what can be achieved with hard work and the right attitude, even with limited ability. Good luck to the lad.

^^^^^^
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I think McKenna will be gone in the summer and wouldn't be overly surprised if Devlin is allowed to go as well, if McInnes is still around. I'd guess Taylor and Considine will still be here and we'll bring in 1 new defender to replace McKenna who will become a first pick. I'd also expect that in addition to signing Leigh permanently to play LB, we'll sign some versatile jack of all trades who can play a few defensive positions (possibly on loan), in the style of Ball, Hoban, Vyner.

For what it's worth I'd love to see Considine get a Scotland call up - aye he's not great, but he's been better than McKenna and Devlin this season and they seem to be in every squad. He's a likeable sort of chap, gives his all, loves the club - shows what can be achieved with hard work and the right attitude, even with limited ability. Good luck to the lad.
    If we are going into next season with our best defender being “limited but gives his all” then I can’t see us being any better next season.

Would have been better off keeping Mackie and Derek Young for being likeable too.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    If we are going into next season with our best defender being “limited but gives his all” then I can’t see us being any better next season.

Would have been better off keeping Mackie and Derek Young for being likeable too.
    Of course we'll never be any better if we don't get better players. I hope we do sign better players. But I'd have Considine in the team ahead of Devlin and Taylor, and quite possibly McKenna as well. Can't see us signing a whole new backline so I expect he will still play a significant part next season.

I think comparisons with Mackie and Young are unfair. Considine would be in the starting lineup of every other team in the SPL with the exception of Rangers and Celtic. He's probably got a better goalscoring record than Darren Mackie had as well.

It’s a bit early to start a new thread, but next season will be even more important in terms of qualifying for Europe via winning the Scottish cup / finishing third.
    This will put the qualifiers straight into the Europa League QR3.
    Even if we lose that, we’d then go into the Conference league Play off round.

If we qualify for the Europa League PO round, either by winning QR3 or if Scotland rises to 12th in the rankings (were currently floating at 13th / 14th, then we’d be guaranteed the group stages, either in the Europa League by winning the PO round or the conference league by losing the PO round.

So next year is pretty crucial in terms of Europe that we qualify well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Of course we'll never be any better if we don't get better players. I hope we do sign better players. But I'd have Considine in the team ahead of Devlin and Taylor, and quite possibly McKenna as well. Can't see us signing a whole new backline so I expect he will still play a significant part next season.

I think comparisons with Mackie and Young are unfair. Considine would be in the starting lineup of every other team in the SPL with the exception of Rangers and Celtic. He's probably got a better goalscoring record than Darren Mackie had as well.
    I thought we have been complaining for the last few years about the football not being good enough and that we need to replace McInnes with someone who can take us to the next level.

We won’t be getting to the next level with Taylor and Considine as our first choice centre backs.

It’s very difficult to say that Considine would get in every other SPFL outwith the cheeks if you don’t watch them every week.

What makes you so sure about that?

Either way what difference does that make,I thought we wanted rid of McInnes because we should be having a go at the cheeks and winning trophies so it’s irrelevant if he could walk into any other team.

We should be looking for better.
    Last edited by rico94; 06-03-2020 at 08:44 PM.

McKenna has made it clear he doesnt what to be here.
    I am not fussed if he goes.
    Problem is we wont get much of a fee for now and I cannot see him as a priority signing for many clubs.
    We might be stuck with him another season. Good physical presence but a hoofball player with no decent first touch. Personally I think he has a average season he's not that good as he thinks he is

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    It’s a bit early to start a new thread, but next season will be even more important in terms of qualifying for Europe via winning the Scottish cup / finishing third.
    This will put the qualifiers straight into the Europa League QR3.
    Even if we lose that, we’d then go into the Conference league Play off round.

If we qualify for the Europa League PO round, either by winning QR3 or if Scotland rises to 12th in the rankings (were currently floating at 13th / 14th, then we’d be guaranteed the group stages, either in the Europa League by winning the PO round or the conference league by losing the PO round.

So next year is pretty crucial in terms of Europe that we qualify well.
    You might as well have been speaking a foreign language.
    I love the European games, but even I am getting pissed off with them.

3 competitions
    Home and away
    Knock out
    Top competition for league winners only.

Anything else is contrived s’hite.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast