+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pathetic

I never give up, Robin, because I know that on Saturday evening, things could look very different again.
    I'm wary of generalisations in football. Sunday's performance was pretty dire, but I'm not going to throw my hands up and say, "We're done for!" In the same way, I was cautious about treating the match in Sheffield and other games where we performed well as evidence that we were on our way to the PL.
    "Inconsistency" has been the factor that has dogged us this season, and looking at the fan-forums for other clubs, it quickly becomes clear that supporters of most other teams are saying exactly the same thing!
    AS Champs suggested, this Division is much of a muchness. Leeds seem to have got through their bad spell, and they DO seem to be ahead of the rest. Outside of them, I'd say we're just above average. As you say, Cunningham, Dack, Evans, Holtby (and Lenihan in the last two matches) have been big misses, but I imagine most other clubs have had key injuries too.
    I try really hard to keep to my philosophy of focusing only on one game at a time, just because - otherwise - the moment you reach one conclusion, it gets overturned in the next match!
    A classic example with Brereton. One match ago, it was, "Wow! he looked dynamic, skilful and threatening when he came on. He's turned the corner!"
    And then he turned in a display on Sunday that has made everybody go back to saying, "He's the biggest waste of money ever."
    We never learn.
    Turning to the Bristol City game, we have to win it. My cousin will be there, and he will be unbearable - even from 12,500 miles - if City beat us! He admits, though, that he and the other BC fans have no idea which of their "two teams" - as he puts it - is going to turn up.
    By coincidence, I also heard, this week, from a friend I had totally lost touch with for years. He is a Sunderland supporter. I don't need to tell you what his reactions were like on that topic!
    One of the comments he made was, "Wish we had a manager like Mowbray"!
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Anyway, our squad in the PL? I reckon we're at least four quality players short of a survival-unit.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 11-03-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Totally agree with most of that aucks except I am thinking 4 quality players and 7-8 decent squad players.
    They all cost money.
    Would venkys be willing to spend or take the cash knowing they will break even?
    All ifs,buts and maybes as I think this season is probably just out of our grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Should we all give up then?
    I think a fully fit first 11 could have a good go in the premier league.
    Where it falls apart is with injuries and suspensions.
    Our squad is painfully poor in terms of good quality cover.

Fans like me travel pretty much every week all over the country spending an absolute fortune.
    We best not have the same attitude as the players who all to a man gave up before Sundays game or we would have no crowd at all. And away we travel in great numbers.
    No, the paying fans who go without to make sure they are there every week like me, keep the club ticking over. And trust me, we aren't giving up. If the fans did on Sunday, what the players did, and gave up and didn't bother it would have been a bad day for football, and Blackburn Rovers.
    It was sightly sad, to see 11 blokes stroll around with no conviction, interest, desire or pride in the shirt.
    You could almost forgive everyone from giving up after seeing that. But nobody will, and the fans will keep turning out no matter what.
    Fans don't have a day off like players do mate, we find money we don't have.
    We travel huge distances to support a side.
    The lads had a day off on Sunday which is disappointing, unprofessional and annoying to everyone who decided to support them. Not an off day. That's fine, we can accept that. Down tools, dont bother trying. Thats pathetic and and insulting. Especially to the ones who spent good money. If a player is ****e like Bennett I can accept that. He is just ****e. Play him, he will give penalties away and be abysmal. Because that's as good as you get with the club captain. But I will not accept players not trying.
    I'm sick of defending the undefendable in Brereton. I have stayed positive and loyal for long enough. **** him off down to Div2 which is probably his level.

Overall this season is a case of glass half full or half full?
    I think we where poor first half for large spells. Then went on a great run. Then lost key players.
    Since then, I feel Mowbray has done a great job of keeping us where we are. And despite being so close to actually getting in the play-off spots, we always fail when it gets to the key game. That's why we wont make it this season. We have marginally improved on last season, but the progression is minuscule. We will ultimately miss out on making the play-offs. Because we aren't quite as good as some sides above us.
    Would making them be the greatest achievement of all time? Not one of the sides in the play offs are anywhere near being good enough for the Prem. I highly doubt WBA and Leeds are. So none of these sides above us are actually any good. But they are better than us. We fall into the category of the sides who will miss out. So you have pretty average at best going up. The play offs are occupied by sides who are pretty poor, nowhere good enough to stay up. Then the likes of us, a step down from those pretty average sides at best. We are where we are.
    Its nothing to get excited about. I don't feel we have any kind of ambition to actually get out of this division.
    Our crowds mean in reality, we should be around the bottom 4/5. So in one aspect, we are doing better than we should. But other clubs around us don't have a thriving academy to introduce young players. Nor do the likes of Wigan or Barnsley waste £5m on Gallagher or £7m on Brereton.
    I think we do some good things, we do some poor things and we are where we are for a reason. You can find positives and negatives in equal measures.
    Our crowds are dropping. Not rising. And right now the fans like me who the club need to renew their season ticket for next season. And I am just not really excited about the prospect being honest. I am starting to lose interest as I have quite alot this season. Its a poor league. Its close, games are pretty open. But my god its poor most of the time.
    That hour I endured vrs Derby on Sunday is an hour I will never get back. And I am fed up of wasting my time.
    I can handle defeats. I am a positive person. I have no longer got the time to spend on something that gives me so little joy.

I went to Barrow on Sat and thoroughly enjoyed 90 mins. And I think thats more my kind of thing. I am not a football snob. I will watch any level. I get bored of the Champions league and Prem. I love lower league stuff.
    I cannot abide people not putting 100% effort in.

The defeat on Sunday was something I can accept.
    The manner of that defeat was worrying. And I can't be arsed mugging myself off every season and having to endure this.

And I meant glass half full or half empty

Champs - I didn't quite see the game in the same way you did. I thought it was cluelessness, rather than lack of effort.
    For me, we simply didn't have enough players on the pitch who are capable of breaking up opposition attacks.
    For the middle hour of the game, Derby were more or less able to pass at will.
    Having Rothwell, Brereton, Gallagher and Armstrong on the pitch at the same time - especially with no Johnson - seemed to me a recipe for disaster. To be fair, in the first 15 minutes, it worked OK, but we missed two decent chances, and once they'd scored, our confidence disappeared.
    You and Robin were critical of the team-selection for the Wigan, whereas I - as you know - couldn't see anything wrong with that line-up.
    This one, though, seemed miles too optimistic to me - perhaps even gung-ho. It was as if TM had got carried away by knowing three points would take us to a play-off spot.
    The four I mentioned are just NOT players who can get hold of a game. Rothwell has had two excellent matches this season. The rest of the time, he has been invisible or has simply run up blind alleys.
    If we are going to have "luxury" players on the pitch, we might as well give Chapman a go.
    A pity about Buckley's "red haze". I thought he made a difference during his brief appearance.
    I am sending out thought-waves, encouraging the players to hammer BC!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)