+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Relegation- An alternative view

Relegation- An alternative view

I know recent events have preceded everything but looking ahead, I'm talking about next season. Firstly, I have to admit that I have not really enjoyed watching us the past 2 or 3 seasons. I've found it a tad stressful to be honest Our players are generally not as good as the opposition and we are getting punished mercilessly for any mistakes. If it wasnt for Dobbie, we would be playing in League One for sure. -------------Having said that, I'm wondering if there might be plus points from relegation. After all, we would get time to take a breather and regroup as a club and team. There are a few local boys in the reserves who might be capable of stepping up , but not in the ruthless Championship. These lads would have a better chance of bedding in at League 1 level. Having these lads push through would give our standing in the town a boost and family members would add to the gates . Surely , we would win more games at a level below and build up our chronic low confidenc also ---------Of course , I would rather stay up but brought the alternative view up as talking points to explore if nothing else. What do you lot think then ?
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 14-03-2020 at 02:59 PM.

I agree with these viewpoints JRS. Hopefully Queens would be challenging at the top of League One and attendances would increase if the club are winning more games than they'd be losing. Also, the Queens youth players would have a better chance of getting a run of appearances at the lower league level.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    I know recent events have preceded everything but looking ahead, I'm talking about next season. Firstly, I have to admit that I have not really enjoyed watching us the past 2 or 3 seasons. I've found it a tad stressful to be honest Our players are generally not as good as the opposition and we are getting punished mercilessly for any mistakes. If it wasnt for Dobbie, we would be playing in League One for sure. -------------Having said that, I'm wondering if there might be plus points from relegation. After all, we would get time to take a breather and regroup as a club and team. There are a few local boys in the reserves who might be capable of stepping up , but not in the ruthless Championship. These lads would have a better chance of bedding in at League 1 level. Having these lads push through would give our standing in the town a boost and family members would add to the gates . Surely , we would win more games at a level below and build up our chronic low confidenc also ---------Of course , I would rather stay up but brought the alternative view up as talking points to explore if nothing else. What do you lot think then ?
    Very interesting points JR and the last few seasons have been frustrating to say the least. Some of the better results where we have thrashed the better teams in the Championship would suggest that we perhaps do have sufficient talent when we have the full first team on the pitch but a combination of lack of squad depth, poor January transfer windows as well as weak management have seen us drop away badly in the latter half of those seasons. The last time we were relegated we had a tremendous advantage over the other clubs in the lower division by retaining our full time status and having a talented youthful spine to the squad. It would be far more difficult to be out of the First division now as Falkirk have found out to their cost which if you look at their squad of players is fairly incomprehensible. One of the issues Queens have is attracting quality full time players as we simply cannot pay their wages and our location is none to attractive either to them. Journey men, and I think you all know just who I mean, have no interest in the club, have little chance in bettering themselves and are just picking up a wage with as little effort as possible. We would be much better off with the cream of the part timers who have ambition in the game and are looking to get themselves noticed to get a move to the real big time but again how do you get that type of players down to Dumfries to play midweek when they have full time jobs. As always it is never a simple easy fix solution but somehow one way or the other we do need to attract a better quality of squad player to Queens as youth football, although essential to the club, is a long term project to nurture local talent to the quality required for Championship level. Wullie Gibson is working hard on this aspect and I have every confidence in him achieving that goal having started so well. Interesting debate during this pause in the game so we have time to really think this one out but can we come up with a practical sensible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    I agree with these viewpoints JRS. Hopefully Queens would be challenging at the top of League One and attendances would increase if the club are winning more games than they'd be losing. Also, the Queens youth players would have a better chance of getting a run of appearances at the lower league level.
    Superb decision by Joe Tulip from the Queens Trust who in order to help out the club financially are going to purchase 3 entries in the forthcoming shirt draw costing £1,275 - (see Pie and Bovril site)

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)