+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Are we over-reacting to COVD19?

Of course there will always be a degree of overreaction in cases like this, it's human nature. The question is whether or not that overreaction is justified.

When it comes to loss of life then being over cautious is very much justified, however fighting each other in supermarkets for bog roll is just stupid.

When it comes to the economy then this overraction/over cautiousness could be very damaging. I've always been open about my business struggles on here and I'm happy to be open again.

On thursday last week we had an order "put on hold" worth £45k because the client had decided they didn't want to make any financial commitment until they were sure how the virus will affect their own business, customers and supply chain. I can understand that but we had budgeted for that £45k in March, it won't be there and I'm not sure how or even if we will replace it.

Yesterday I visited a site in Bristol to continue an installation we have there only to find the car park half empty. Talking to the owner he mentioned that they are only allowing people to visit site that they deem critical to the continuation of business. All of the temp/agency staff they use have been told they cannot work there for the foreseeable future and to make matters worse they have decided to postpone work with ourselves that was going to net us another £30k+.

I fully acknowledge the need to be over cautious for the sake of stemming the spread of this virus and ensuring lives are not put at any more risk than necessary, but unfortunately the impact on the economy will have many casualties of their own and this of course will also have a serious impact on health and wellbeing.

So, to answer your question I do think initially there was degree of overreaction, generally brought on by the media and social media, however, I do think as time passes and it starts to hit people in the pocket many will start to throw caution to the wind.

For everyones sake, lets just be sensible, it's not hard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Far too early to say whether anyone is under or over reacting, but the prospect of playing football BCD is ridiculous.

Suspend the season for a couple of months by all means, but no matches with no fans will soon mean no lower league clubs either.
    It makes you wonder what it will do to lower league football if they do decide to play games behind closed doors. Lots of clubs are already on a financial knife edge, and the prospect of still having to pay players and staff with no matchday revenue (and possible refunds to season ticket holders) could quickly tip some over the edge. I don't know if clubs are insured against this sort of thing or if the Football League would assist, but it's a scary prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    I know by now I probably seem like a broken record but if anything the UK is UNDERESTIMATING it.

I have read that people who are calling the hotline to say they've just come back from Austria / N.Italy and are feeling very ill with all the symptoms are being refused tests because they haven't been in direct contact with a confirmed case.

That's a great way to 'keep the numbers down' but not a great way to stop the real spread of the virus or have accurate data.

The official UK position seems to be that other countries introduced draconian measures for political reasons and against scientific advice, but that seems to me to be the complete opposite of what happened.

China blocked off the whole of Hubei province and as far as we can tell have solved the problem to a large degree.

Italy was forced into draconian measures by the situation getting out of control in terms of intensive care beds, and having to issue its doctors with the guidelines they issue to army medics on who to treat and who to let die. There certainly wasn't a great political desire for 60 million people to be confined to their houses.

As discussed on the original coronavirus thread, Singapore implemented strict measures proactively and that seems to have gone quite well for them.

I don't want this to turn into a political thread so I'm not naming names but I have serious reservations about the UK's response.
    The response here is an economic stimulus package to avoid a recession. Which is pretty hilarious given that every government that has been in power here for the last 20 years regardless of political persuasion has made a grand balls up of things and relied on the mining industry to bail it out, and the currency is getting an absolute flogging currently given its realiance on Asian markets. Right now I am glad that other than about 20% of my electric and my internet connection I am entirely off the grid. Got 50000 gallons of water in my tanks and a garage full of baked beans and Chang Classic. Im in for the long haul!

I'm relatively young but have a stage four kidney disease and weak heart, I'm not taking this lightly at all. Sure media is over the top, it is with anything but why not worry about it, it's killing people who otherwise would still be alive.

Also I work in a nursing home, if it gets in here it'll do real damage yet you'd be amazed at the selfishness of visitors even though its putting their own family at risk. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Also I work in a nursing home, if it gets in here it'll do real damage yet you'd be amazed at the selfishness of visitors even though its putting their own family at risk. Strange.
    Yep it is unbelieveable. Schools now closed over here til March 29th

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Yep it is unbelieveable. Schools now closed over here til March 29th
    Looks like sport will be hit as well:

Sporting events including horseracing in Ireland look set to be held under special measures or possibly cancelled in response to the coronavirus outbreak, it was announced on Thursday.

Irish prime minister Leo Varadkar has announced measures to combat coronavirus, which will take place from 6pm on Thursday to March 29, that will see schools, colleges and other public facilities close in Ireland.

He said indoor gatherings of more than 100 people and outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled, while people are being encouraged to work from home where possible.

The Grand National meeting is 2/11 not to start on 2nd April.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Looks like sport will be hit as well:

Sporting events including horseracing in Ireland look set to be held under special measures or possibly cancelled in response to the coronavirus outbreak, it was announced on Thursday.

Irish prime minister Leo Varadkar has announced measures to combat coronavirus, which will take place from 6pm on Thursday to March 29, that will see schools, colleges and other public facilities close in Ireland.

He said indoor gatherings of more than 100 people and outdoor gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled, while people are being encouraged to work from home where possible.

The Grand National meeting is 2/11 not to start on 2nd April.
    They have had to act. If it takes a big grip over here, could take the Country into recession. The health service is already on its knees before this

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    So expert you knows it won't mutate? So spending 5 seconds with a soap bar in general use is sufficient? Are you Laxton or laxative?
    I didn't introduce this topic as an expert, but simply to draw comment and opinion. Stuff like IrishPete came up with is a welcome addition to the discussion.
    I didn't say it wouldn't mutate, on another fred I said it WOULD mutate, it's a virus and that's how viruses work, mutating into new strains resistant to old vaccines, this is why we need a new vaccine every year

The recommended minimum time for washing your hands is TWENTY seconds. A regular bar of soap contains alkalines which break down the fats on your skin, these fats are what hold the bacteria and dirt. There's more to it than that, sid, but I'm sure you're confused enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Of course there will always be a degree of overreaction in cases like this, it's human nature. The question is whether or not that overreaction is justified.

When it comes to loss of life then being over cautious is very much justified, however fighting each other in supermarkets for bog roll is just stupid.

When it comes to the economy then this overraction/over cautiousness could be very damaging. I've always been open about my business struggles on here and I'm happy to be open again.

On thursday last week we had an order "put on hold" worth £45k because the client had decided they didn't want to make any financial commitment until they were sure how the virus will affect their own business, customers and supply chain. I can understand that but we had budgeted for that £45k in March, it won't be there and I'm not sure how or even if we will replace it.

Yesterday I visited a site in Bristol to continue an installation we have there only to find the car park half empty. Talking to the owner he mentioned that they are only allowing people to visit site that they deem critical to the continuation of business. All of the temp/agency staff they use have been told they cannot work there for the foreseeable future and to make matters worse they have decided to postpone work with ourselves that was going to net us another £30k+.

I fully acknowledge the need to be over cautious for the sake of stemming the spread of this virus and ensuring lives are not put at any more risk than necessary, but unfortunately the impact on the economy will have many casualties of their own and this of course will also have a serious impact on health and wellbeing.

So, to answer your question I do think initially there was degree of overreaction, generally brought on by the media and social media, however, I do think as time passes and it starts to hit people in the pocket many will start to throw caution to the wind.

For everyones sake, lets just be sensible, it's not hard is it?

Great post. Thank you.

We in this country, are playing catch up from a disadvantaged position. Our relatively spoiled populace, are used to feeling deprived if their internet connection is slow.

On our local community facebook page, the consensus was that we should lock down the country to prevent foreigners bringing in the virus. "oh yes, spot on". Until that is, some one pointed out the number of European and British drivers crossing the channel daily. Bringing the food and consumables on which we rely. It went quiet after that.

Wait till the merest wiff of fuel supply shortages gets out and watch the reaction. We have much more to worry about just now than infection alone.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast