+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Are we over-reacting to COVD19?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Of course there will always be a degree of overreaction in cases like this, it's human nature. The question is whether or not that overreaction is justified.

When it comes to loss of life then being over cautious is very much justified, however fighting each other in supermarkets for bog roll is just stupid.

When it comes to the economy then this overraction/over cautiousness could be very damaging. I've always been open about my business struggles on here and I'm happy to be open again.

On thursday last week we had an order "put on hold" worth £45k because the client had decided they didn't want to make any financial commitment until they were sure how the virus will affect their own business, customers and supply chain. I can understand that but we had budgeted for that £45k in March, it won't be there and I'm not sure how or even if we will replace it.

Yesterday I visited a site in Bristol to continue an installation we have there only to find the car park half empty. Talking to the owner he mentioned that they are only allowing people to visit site that they deem critical to the continuation of business. All of the temp/agency staff they use have been told they cannot work there for the foreseeable future and to make matters worse they have decided to postpone work with ourselves that was going to net us another £30k+.

I fully acknowledge the need to be over cautious for the sake of stemming the spread of this virus and ensuring lives are not put at any more risk than necessary, but unfortunately the impact on the economy will have many casualties of their own and this of course will also have a serious impact on health and wellbeing.

So, to answer your question I do think initially there was degree of overreaction, generally brought on by the media and social media, however, I do think as time passes and it starts to hit people in the pocket many will start to throw caution to the wind.

For everyones sake, lets just be sensible, it's not hard is it?
    That's rough, mate. I really feel for you. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    That's rough, mate. I really feel for you. Keep us posted.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I'm relatively young but have a stage four kidney disease and weak heart, I'm not taking this lightly at all. Sure media is over the top, it is with anything but why not worry about it, it's killing people who otherwise would still be alive.
    It's sobering to hear from someone at the " sharp end" , good luck, and stay well

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Of course there will always be a degree of overreaction in cases like this, it's human nature. The question is whether or not that overreaction is justified.

When it comes to loss of life then being over cautious is very much justified, however fighting each other in supermarkets for bog roll is just stupid.

When it comes to the economy then this overraction/over cautiousness could be very damaging. I've always been open about my business struggles on here and I'm happy to be open again.

On thursday last week we had an order "put on hold" worth £45k because the client had decided they didn't want to make any financial commitment until they were sure how the virus will affect their own business, customers and supply chain. I can understand that but we had budgeted for that £45k in March, it won't be there and I'm not sure how or even if we will replace it.

Yesterday I visited a site in Bristol to continue an installation we have there only to find the car park half empty. Talking to the owner he mentioned that they are only allowing people to visit site that they deem critical to the continuation of business. All of the temp/agency staff they use have been told they cannot work there for the foreseeable future and to make matters worse they have decided to postpone work with ourselves that was going to net us another £30k+.

I fully acknowledge the need to be over cautious for the sake of stemming the spread of this virus and ensuring lives are not put at any more risk than necessary, but unfortunately the impact on the economy will have many casualties of their own and this of course will also have a serious impact on health and wellbeing.

So, to answer your question I do think initially there was degree of overreaction, generally brought on by the media and social media, however, I do think as time passes and it starts to hit people in the pocket many will start to throw caution to the wind.

For everyones sake, lets just be sensible, it's not hard is it?
    Not a lot of businesses can cope with that, i hope yours manages to work through it.

Out of curiosity what do you do?

In Italy we've potentially lost almost £500k on an event due to take place in May (venue hire, staffing etc.) Hoping we can negotiate a postponement to a later date instead. Ouch.

We really are at a tipping point imo.
    As childminders, we’re self employed so we’re stuffed! If either or me of the wife get it, we have to close the setting. Meaning all parents need refunding for the time to isolate. No sick pay, none of this crap suggested in the budget. Doesn’t help low paid self employed at all.
    If schools shut, then we will be shut as well. Same outcome. And like most people, you budget to what you’ve got coming in. If you’ve got to take three weeks without wages, it’s very serious. As in the post above losing contracts of 45k. Horrible situation to be in. As it is losing £500 for a week unfortunately. Had two parents asking us today to take their children because their childminders are closing for precautionary measures next week. I told them come back after Easter, because if one closes, we all will have to.
    In saying all that, I’d rather take the financial hit and try and cope and know less people are being put at risk.
    Ireland has made the correct call today IMO.

The obvious talk in Tuesday night in the DP was the virus and people not turning up because of it. Everyone saying “ I’m alright. Survived worse etc...” I get all that, but it’s not just you, it’s everyone you come into contact with during the ‘silent’ period where you are infectious and don’t know it. The number of deaths are small, but say that to the families who are grieving tonight because of their loved ones being taken by it.
    I’d hope the club has insurance for this sort of thing because I’d expect games to be BCD or stopped totally sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    It's sobering to hear from someone at the " sharp end" , good luck, and stay well
    Thanks Notso, I'm not worried worried but I don't want to risk a bad case of it plus I couldn't stand leaving the pies in non league ha ha!

Ncfcog looks like it's going to effect him much more, hope it works out ok mate.

Quote Originally Posted by hissingdwarf View Post
    We really are at a tipping point imo.
    As childminders, we’re self employed so we’re stuffed! If either or me of the wife get it, we have to close the setting. Meaning all parents need refunding for the time to isolate. No sick pay, none of this crap suggested in the budget. Doesn’t help low paid self employed at all.
    If schools shut, then we will be shut as well. Same outcome. And like most people, you budget to what you’ve got coming in. If you’ve got to take three weeks without wages, it’s very serious. As in the post above losing contracts of 45k. Horrible situation to be in. As it is losing £500 for a week unfortunately. Had two parents asking us today to take their children because their childminders are closing for precautionary measures next week. I told them come back after Easter, because if one closes, we all will have to.
    In saying all that, I’d rather take the financial hit and try and cope and know less people are being put at risk.
    Ireland has made the correct call today IMO.

The obvious talk in Tuesday night in the DP was the virus and people not turning up because of it. Everyone saying “ I’m alright. Survived worse etc...” I get all that, but it’s not just you, it’s everyone you come into contact with during the ‘silent’ period where you are infectious and don’t know it. The number of deaths are small, but say that to the families who are grieving tonight because of their loved ones being taken by it.
    I’d hope the club has insurance for this sort of thing because I’d expect games to be BCD or stopped totally sooner rather than later.
    Hope it works out hissing, if I miss a weeks wage through sickness it really affects myself so I do hope it passes quickly for your sake.

Quote Originally Posted by caj85 View Post
    Not a lot of businesses can cope with that, i hope yours manages to work through it.

Out of curiosity what do you do?
    Print, mailing and Packaging machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It makes you wonder what it will do to lower league football if they do decide to play games behind closed doors. Lots of clubs are already on a financial knife edge, and the prospect of still having to pay players and staff with no matchday revenue (and possible refunds to season ticket holders) could quickly tip some over the edge. I don't know if clubs are insured against this sort of thing or if the Football League would assist, but it's a scary prospect.
    The FA should put an emergency 5% levy on Premier League profits to help smaller clubs through the crisis.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast