+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Are we over-reacting to COVD19?

O/T:- Are we over-reacting to COVD19?

I've heard this in many places - that the world is over-reacting, but taking such a view is quite narrow-minded. For example, no one is quite sure what this virus might mutate into. A virus, like any other living thing, will do its utmost to ensure its survival.
    For example, how can we be sure that pregnant women will not suffer unknown consequences?
    Another point is that if hospitals are full of patients suffering from COVD19, eventually that will impact on people requiring hospital beds for trauma cases, road accidents, heart attacks, strokes and so on.
    One thing people are saying is that the virus could die out when the warmer weather arrives but Iran is currently into its Spring and cases there are multiplying.
    Cleaning your hands for a few seconds with a grotty bar of soap won't wash anymore. People have got to adapt to unprecedented conditions. It is very likely that the football season will not see its conclusion in May too.
    Yes, it's Sid on another OT but I thought that for us to discuss a possible season-ending issue was worthwhile. Or it could just stay as the elephant in the room.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 14-03-2020 at 03:33 AM.

sid, a virus is not "...like any living thing...", it has genes but no cell structure and is not considered by scientists to have "life, Jim but not as we know it".

As for stating "Cleaning your hands for a few seconds with a grotty bar of soap won't wash..."!!! It's good know we on NM are being advised on health care by an expert, we now know the medical world haven't a clue on viral infections - thanks, sid. By the way, you're not related to Donald Trump are you?

On the plus side, at least the government can stop worrying about social care costs.

... and 7 out of 10 Notts supporters never wash their hands after having a pish. Just something I’ve noticed. ��

Far too early to say whether anyone is under or over reacting, but the prospect of playing football BCD is ridiculous.

Suspend the season for a couple of months by all means, but no matches with no fans will soon mean no lower league clubs either.

When people won't do the basics, you won't slow it down or stop it. Just back from the local college. There is a business unit,me & mate stood near the entrance, the sanitizer right in yer face as you open the door. 3 out of about 25 used it. I said to 1 that went past it that it was there. Just said yeah & laughed.
    The students in the college are walking past the stands as if they might catch something from them, these are youngsters that want to be educated. God help 'em

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    When people won't do the basics, you won't slow it down or stop it. Just back from the local college. There is a business unit,me & mate stood near the entrance, the sanitizer right in yer face as you open the door. 3 out of about 25 used it. I said to 1 that went past it that it was there. Just said yeah & laughed.
    The students in the college are walking past the stands as if they might catch something from them, these are youngsters that want to be educated. God help 'em
    " It's only old people that will die, we'll live forever " It's the
    state of mind of youth , not malice . I know what I was like at their age.

Unfortunately it might become euthanasia by indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    sid, a virus is not "...like any living thing...", it has genes but no cell structure and is not considered by scientists to have "life, Jim but not as we know it".

As for stating "Cleaning your hands for a few seconds with a grotty bar of soap won't wash..."!!! It's good know we on NM are being advised on health care by an expert, we now know the medical world haven't a clue on viral infections - thanks, sid. By the way, you're not related to Donald Trump are you?
    So expert you knows it won't mutate? So spending 5 seconds with a soap bar in general use is sufficient? Are you Laxton or laxative?
    I didn't introduce this topic as an expert, but simply to draw comment and opinion. Stuff like IrishPete came up with is a welcome addition to the discussion.
    Last edited by sidders; 12-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.

I think I would sooner get Corona virus than read another of your posts. Actually this one wasn't too bad. It'll run its course as these things do. The media will over sensationalise it and political parties will find ways of scoring points off it. Social Media will go into melt down and everyone will panic buy everything. Thats about it really. In a couple of months it'll be onto the next thing thats going to destroy us all.

I know by now I probably seem like a broken record but if anything the UK is UNDERESTIMATING it.

I have read that people who are calling the hotline to say they've just come back from Austria / N.Italy and are feeling very ill with all the symptoms are being refused tests because they haven't been in direct contact with a confirmed case.

That's a great way to 'keep the numbers down' but not a great way to stop the real spread of the virus or have accurate data.

The official UK position seems to be that other countries introduced draconian measures for political reasons and against scientific advice, but that seems to me to be the complete opposite of what happened.

China blocked off the whole of Hubei province and as far as we can tell have solved the problem to a large degree.

Italy was forced into draconian measures by the situation getting out of control in terms of intensive care beds, and having to issue its doctors with the guidelines they issue to army medics on who to treat and who to let die. There certainly wasn't a great political desire for 60 million people to be confined to their houses.

As discussed on the original coronavirus thread, Singapore implemented strict measures proactively and that seems to have gone quite well for them.

I don't want this to turn into a political thread so I'm not naming names but I have serious reservations about the UK's response.

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast