+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 all off

Covid 19 all off

Suspended until April

3 April at earliest, subject to the situation then. Assuming Euros will be put back to 2021, we MUST finish this season in the summer if necessary!

I can't see this season starting again, in April the situation will be worse, I think football has jumped the gun, in April all gatherings of more than 500 will be in place and that is likely to last through the summer, I think the football authorities have effectively abandoned this season. The ramifications of this will effect all EFL clubs for a considerable period of time, I cant see how they can restart until the Coronavirus pandemic is over but when is that going to be ? probably not by the end of summer, maybe longer.

They were bowing to the inevitable really when most sporting and other events are being cancelled. Its possible they could restart the football in May-June as there are only a few matches left. They could even have two matches a week in June and still finish before Aug. OTOH they may cancel the seasons results and start again which would be unfair to the likes of Liverpool and those seeking promotion and in a great position like we are.

I've always been one that thought summer was better for watching and playing football rather than winter and so maybe the authorities can take the opportunity to consider that seriously now as most of these virus are more prevalent in winter.

Keeping the players fit and ready to play crunch matches will be a real challenge though. I think the authorities will want to complete the season if they can rather than cancel it...

The problem with playing the games in the summer is that players contracts will be up at the end of June and for those that want to move on (or dont) an earlier move would be better. Most teams would also be looking at next season. I think that the FA will decide eventually to end the season and maybe declaring all outstanding games draws, no playoffs and maybe no champions. Liverpool would be the exception.

Can't have that. There is no positive outcome to all this. In one of our best seasons!!

I think, TM, that litigation would be flying around. Consider Leeds and WBA and a host of other clubs denied a run-in

Wembely has been booked for the play off finals over the bank holiday weekend in May so any matches will have to be played by then or cancel the leagues and your current position is were you end up . We are 3/4 the way through the season so cancelling the whole season is not on . We need clear guidance from the EFL to keep us supporters informed as we are a major investor in football. I feel the premiership will go and make different decisions but they are a separate league and stand alone . I am only interested in the EFL making the right decisions for local teams and fans

I was reading that Liverpool will get the PL title with agreement of the rest of the PL but given their lead in the table, no surprise there. They were also talking about the top two in the Championship being allowed into the PL but obviously more contentious as would the top two or three getting promotion from the other leagues as we would. There will be no play offs and all this is based on the more and more likelyhood that the season will be abandoned as the virus is expected to increase over the next few months and not decrease. The only other options are to cancel all results of the season and start again in August or later but tbh cannot see that being accepted. If clubs only have a few games to play eg nine in our case then its possible to play two games a week taking just over a month to complete and that could be done later in the year before delaying the start of a new season. Some talk about the PL compensating the lower league clubs for loss of revenue too.

Its difficult to see how matches will commence on April 3rd though.

Just heard the Government will be asking the over 70's to self isolate themselves for wait for it....FOUR months and so surely that could mean ruling out professional football commencing before August?? That suggests they will just promote and relegate where teams are in the league at the moment although legal action could intervene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast