+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No enquiries.

No enquiries.

I did state fairly recently that Cambridge was the home of football. There are two possibilities, one is that you thunked I was joking, or as is more likely, the advanced and intellectual possession of the emotion called curiosity is absent.

Considering your geographical location, and the genes you have inherited from more northern climes, it is not surprising, that there is a blankness on your part.

So, how can this be so. Do you wish to know?

While I am thinking of genes, Griff has not informed us of his DNA result.

Sasquatch will be in there.

Billy of Melbourne.

The football we might recognise was first documented in the 1100s in England by Thomas Becket diarist William Fitzstephen. London youths would use an inflated animal bladder to play in the streets during celebrations. From there, many of the later recorded instances of football came from various declarations of it being banned – in England in the 1300s, and later in Scotland. These bans originated from the game creating disorder and noise, and there were 30 in England*between 1314 and 1667.

English public schools are credited with creating many of the rules we know today, as well as taking it from a mob to organised team sport. The first known football club was The Foot-Ball Club who were located in*Edinburgh between*1824 and 1841.

Cambridge?

Partly right. There is a park in the centre of Cambridge called Parkers Piece. From 1800 onwards many different types of football were played, different balls, carrying it, different sized pitches etc, by the students of the University.

Eventually, the rules of football, the game today you see around the world, was pinned to a tree on Parkers Piece, and gradually adopted. The football association adopted those rules in 1863 as the definitive rules.

There is a monument to this on Parkers Piece, and the City has been slow in realising this important bit of history. People only started paying attention to it about 20 years ago. If you doubt this, which im sure you will, go to Parkers Piece wiki.

I grew up half a mile from Parkers Piece and spent most of my youth playing football and cricket on there. Any way, Mr Froggy, your DNA suggests I should not upset you, so I shant Peter plus haute de son cul, tete de noed.

Cambridge is the home of football, so there.

Libby of Lompoc.

No response then. Jealousy is an ugly emotion. Yes, Cambridge is the home of football. Yes it is. You must be rowing a long boat off the coast of America Griff, invasion like.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)