+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Into the Unknown

Into the Unknown

The indefinite suspension of football in Scotland can hardly have come as a surprise - External Link

Do contracts always expire at the end of May? I thought it was June to tie to in with the registration windows. If so playing in that month would be ok.

If it really came to it the season can just be wrapped as it is...not that it would be pretty. There would probably be no relegation, two promoted and no League Cup...and where you'd go from there is anyone's guess.

Something about June 9th rings some sort of a bell re contracts - dunno why?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Do contracts always expire at the end of May? I thought it was June to tie to in with the registration windows. If so playing in that month would be ok.

If it really came to it the season can just be wrapped as it is...not that it would be pretty. There would probably be no relegation, two promoted and no League Cup...and where you'd go from there is anyone's guess.
    This is not going to end without the involvement of m' learned friends. Some clubs are going to feel cheated. 'Closed doors' matches, however unsatisfactory, could be on the way, not least because TV will want matches for its money. A way will be found. There might be some scope if we put the rest of the Scottish Cup back until the autumn, the Euros were scrapped and both the Europa League and the Champions League had fewer clubs next season and were knock - out from the start. I know; nae chance!
    Wealthy clubs will just about see this through; financial disaster is looming for others.

The Euros will be postponed, the only question is till when.

The Scottish Cup could easily be forgotten for a year or played in autumn/winter. I suspect we'll also sacrifice the League Cup.

From reading the rules, the SPFL board can decide what it wants...I'm sure the 'losers' from their decision will be compensated to accept it for the greater good.

The other intriguing question is who will try to use this chance to promote changes they couldn't otheregst through and if they have a better chance of doing so now.

If changes to be made to league then IMO a league of 14 teams teams could be the answer to fairness of fixtures. Each team would play each other home and away giving 26 games played. Then split top 7 and bottom 7. Then play each other home and away giving total games played by a team as 38 19 at home and 19 away Doing away of current scenario where a team could play 20 at home and only 18 away. Would also guarantee top 7 teams 4 games at home against Old Firm instead of 3 at present

A 7-7 split with one team sitting out the last rounds will never happen, in that scenario you'd need to choose 8-6 or 6-8.

As an aside, I can't be the only one having a little smirk that the endless greed in football - as many games as possible, hoard as much money as possible, depend solely on TV - causes so many problems now.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)