+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Straw Poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Straw Poll

.... of PL bosses agrees by 19 to 1 with Karen Brady in favour of declaring season null and void unless games can be restarted after 3 April

There's a surprise

"Why always us, we want compo". There could be another 30 years of whining to come 😏

I will struggle to contain my delight in the misfortune of the Liverpool fans. Lets see some Leeds tears (again) too!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    .... of PL bosses agrees by 19 to 1 with Karen Brady in favour of declaring season null and void unless games can be restarted after 3 April

There's a surprise

"Why always us, we want compo". There could be another 30 years of whining to come ��
    Oh look! Where are Ms.Brady’s club - West Ham?
    They’d just happen to avoid relegation on goal difference if that was to happen.
    Sheer naked self interest on Lady Peschisolido’s part, imo.

Few things are certain in football but Liverpool winning the Premier League and Bolton and Southend being relegated from League 1 are three of them. The next two near certainties are, imo, that Man. City will qualify for next season’s Champions League and Stevenage will lose their League 2 status.
    Beyond that the futures of a great many clubs - over 50 in all four divisions - hang in the balance and a fair way must be found to resolve a season that is around 75% completed, but it surely isn’t the Brady way.
    No one can know when football, with crowds, might return, but I’d bet it won’t be by April 3rd.
    In my opinion the Euros have to be postponed for at least a year...they involve far more movement of people across Europe than any other competition and generate less interest than the domestic competitions.
    That way there would at least be a chance of the current season being completed and the 20/21 season being able to begin with the right teams in the right divisions.

Failing that...add the average number of points from home and away records respectively to the totals already gained and that might perhaps be seen as a fairer way of deciding who finishes where if games cannot even be completed behind closed doors.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 14-03-2020 at 05:11 PM.

West Ham would be safe if the season was voided or if the table as of today stands. They can only be relegated if the season recommences.

The best answer would be to play the remaining games on FIFA 20

[QUOTE=Geoff Parkstone;39456764]West Ham would be safe if the season was voided or if the table as of today stands. They can only be relegated if the season recommences.[QUOTE]

You been on the whisky GP? Keep up man...that’s exactly what I said...hence the ‘naked self interest’ on Lady P’s part.

My point is that they would also not be relegated if the "table as is" basis would be used to determine relegation.

Thus she doesn't have quite as much skin in the game as you think

Sheep grazing in outer Mongolia has been suspended due to a canker outbreak in Tanzania....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    My point is that they would also not be relegated if the "table as is" basis would be used to determine relegation.

Thus she doesn't have quite as much skin in the game as you think
    Point taken, GP...mine is that I suspect she would have a very different attitude if she was in the position of Liverpool or the likes of Wolves, Sheffield United, Tottenham and others competing for a Champions League place, rather than woeful West Ham who are just three goals - in GD terms - away from relegation.

Imo...as objective a means of settling this as possible can and has to be found. If games can’t be concluded behind closed doors then, with the season so far down the line, we need a sort of Duckworth Lewis equivalent system for the remainder of the season. Shouldn’t be impossible...they’ve got at least three weeks and probably a lot longer to come up with a fair solution.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 15-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Point taken, GP...mine is that I suspect she would have a very different attitude if she was in the position of Liverpool or the likes of Wolves, Sheffield United, Tottenham and others competing for a Champions League place, rather than woeful West Ham who are just three goals - in GD terms - away from relegation.
    I agree and take your point here RA but I'm not sure which way is the best way to go on this. If no more games could be played this season should we give Liverpool the title and the remaining pack champions league qualification, promote the three top teams and relegate the bottom three in the other leagues? Doesn't sound right to me especially while there is a mathematical chance that positions could change. Null and void really is the best option but I can't see it happening! your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    I agree and take your point here RA but I'm not sure which way is the best way to go on this. If no more games could be played this season should we give Liverpool the title and the remaining pack champions league qualification, promote the three top teams and relegate the bottom three in the other leagues? Doesn't sound right to me especially while there is a mathematical chance that positions could change. Null and void really is the best option but I can't see it happening! your thoughts?
    I fear GP’s self evidenced prejudice against Liverpool and Leeds is clouding his judgement.

If, as I very much suspect, the season can’t be finished within the next few months then there is no truly satisfactory conclusion, however with so much of the season played it makes no sense to me to ‘void it’.

Most teams have between 9-10 matches left which will mean an imbalance of home and away fixtures. If a team has, hypothetically, averaged 2.5 points per home game and has four home matches to play (10 pts) and 1 point per away game and has five away matches to play (5pts), then adding 15 points to their existing total would be as fair a reflection of how the season would have ended as possible.

Sounds complicated and I can’t be bothered to do it, but I’m sure the geeky mathematicians would have it done in no time...can see GP sorting it all and telling us where we’ll finish this afternoon.
    If teams, eg West Ham and Villa were to end up level on points then a similar equation could be done to include goal difference.
    Same would be true of all the leagues, including the Championship, where the stupid tw@t who appeared to introduce the virus into the EFL in the first place would see his club receive at least a 20 point deduction for all the chaos caused.

Just as an afterthought and playing devil’s advocate...if the season were to be voided would there not be a case for fans to be reimbursed at least a proportion of their outgoings on the basis that there had been no meaningful matches? I certainly would expect to be reimbursed if I went to the cinema or theatre and the performance was curtailed before the end. That surely is what season ticket holders at least have bought into.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)