+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 336 of 365 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,360 of 3648

Thread: O/T:- Impressed with the leadership

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    generally, 'us Brits', emigrate to countries where they are happy to fit in with that country's rules and traditions.
    If you honestly believe that, you are more naive than I thought.

EP tell me where I am so naive, please do not tell me they go over tho whichever country and demand fish and chips 🤣

EP tell me where I am so naive, please do not tell me they go over tho whichever country and demand fish and chips 🤣
    That's close to the mark, there are a number of communities in Spain, Portugal and some other European countries that have become 'Little Britain'. The Brits who settle there want the sunshine and lifestyle, but have no intention of learning the language or integrating. I doubt they will feature much on GB News, so you will probably be unaware of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    The terrorists apologist, what a surprise coming from the uneducated left wing of the Liebour party. You call Netanyahu evil, that has to be the biggest laugh for months, you moron.
    Being an uneducated moron, I thought I might share the following with you. Have a good day.

A group of more than 180 former Israeli security service leaders, who held roles in the Mossad, the Shin Bet domestic security agency, the military, and the police, described Netanyahu's government as a threat to Israel's security.

EP, I think that as long as the numbers of Brits living abroad are acceptable in those countries and they have settled legally then I see no problem, as generally, 'us Brits', emigrate to countries where they are happy to fit in with that country's rules and traditions, so living in harmony. This is obviously not the case with lots of people who choose this country for a better life, expecting us to change to their ways, and put pressure on our already struggling, health and education systems.
    I do not like Brits who buy holiday homes in this country, as it is to the detriment of the local community.
    Completely agree abut second homes/holiday homes etc... absolutely hollowing out certain parts of the country and preventing local people from living in their own communities.

But I don't understand what you mean by "expecting us to change to their ways"... I'm struggling to think of significant examples that aren't just common-sense accommodations or treating people as equal citizens.

Also not sure what you mean by putting pressure on the health and education system... do you mean by getting sick and by having children who need an education? Immigrants are already paying the same taxes as the rest of us, plus an NHS surcharge, so surely they're entitled to the same services as everyone else. If we want immigrants to integrate, education is a core part of that.

Not to mention the very obvious fact that the NHS would collapse without staff trained overseas. I'm not sure what the situation is in schools, but certainly universities are very multicultural, very international environments both in terms of teaching and research. That's because (like the Premier League) they're world class, and so attract global talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's close to the mark, there are a number of communities in Spain, Portugal and some other European countries that have become 'Little Britain'. The Brits who settle there want the sunshine and lifestyle, but have no intention of learning the language or integrating. I doubt they will feature much on GB News, so you will probably be unaware of them.
    This is very true. I personally know a retired British couple who have lived in southern Spain for 20 years and the wife still can't speak any Spanish. They generally interact with expats and the husband knows just enough to order food in a restaurant etc. They listen to a local English language radio station and watch ITV and BBC shows exclusively. It's like they're on an extended holiday. I don't begrudge them that life at all but it's definitely not an unusual occurrence.

There are a number of communities in Spain, Portugal and some other European countries that have become 'Little Britain'. The Brits who settle there want the sunshine and lifestyle, but have no intention of learning the language or integrating.
    That happens with minority communities in Britain too. Consciously or subconsciously they establish their own community enclaves which often grow to have a distinct resemblance to the place from which they originated. Obviously not every individual or family does that, in the same way that some Brits who go abroad embrace their new environment and integrate very willingly into it, but for many communities who are in a minority the tendency is to associate with and indeed re-create what seems safest and most familiar. Whether that's multiculturalism working well or badly boils down to a matter of opinion, but it's a definite trait of human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    That happens with minority communities in Britain too.
    I wouldn't dispute that for a second, but my reply was in response to Magpies1959 claiming:

"Generally, 'us Brits', emigrate to countries where they are happy to fit in with that country's rules and traditions".

That's total bollox, and follows the right wing doctrine that 'us Brits are better than them'.

I wouldn't dispute that for a second, but my reply was in response to Magpies1959 claiming:

"Generally, 'us Brits', emigrate to countries where they are happy to fit in with that country's rules and traditions".

That's total bollox, and follows the right wing doctrine that 'us Brits are better than them'.
    'Us Brits are better than them' certainly isn't the right-wing doctrine I follow.

'Us Brits are different from the French, Spanish or whatever other nation you choose to name', absolutely, but not 'better' or 'worse'. Even countries that tend to get simplistically lumped together in the minds of others - say Spain and Portugal - are very assertive about their differences and their own identity.

With the possible exception of football hooligans and some visiting party islands, I'd say most Brits who travel abroad respect the laws and rules of the places they visit or go to live, and I'm not sure they are generally disrespectful to the traditions either, but certainly they form their own 'Ex-Pat' communities, such is the pack nature of human beings.
    Last edited by jackal2; 09-10-2023 at 07:32 PM.

I have to say I loved living in Germany made many friends from different Nationalities went out all the time with them (and still do) however, the Brits stuck together, had conversations that affected us and what was going off back home and exactly the same was happening with the other Nationalities, French, Spanish, Portuguese etc. it’s not a unique thing, it’s a bonding, comfort thing I guess and I totally understand it, and there’s no shame in it.

Page 336 of 365 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346 ... LastLast