+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Heroes and Villains

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sticking with your area of expertise...I understand why the $ is strengthening against all currencies but why does the £ seem to be weakening against the € as much as against the $...and why does the FTSE appear to be weakening disproportionately to other indexes?
    Who can explain the logic behind stock market and forex markets - they are prone to sharp changes for the most bizzarre reasons. But to try to answer your question I think, the US Dollar has always been a flight currency as its the biggest economy in the world. Thus there is a perception that this makes it a safer place for funds in time of peril.

Sterling is possibly not as strong as the Euro as we are a little later in terms of lockdown - mainly because we got the virus a little later than some eurozone countries. Sam thing for the FTSE.

The global market stock prices were all at record highs immediately before the virus started to hammer them. COVID in my view triggered an overdue market correction, and conceivably more correction was needed to the UK stock market where the fundamentals may not have been so strong. In part this could be due to the euphoria in finally achieving brexit having caused UK indices to have risen too much? Who can say

However I imagine that by June next year the markets will have clawed back to perhaps within 10% of their December 31 2019 values. Look at 2008-09....... massive drops in market, all fully clawed back in the succeeding 2 years. Unless you have to draw down on private pensions, don't do so: but, not trying to take the piss here, teachers pensions are still defined benefits, so you re not carrying the investment risk anyway: the taxpayer is.

Rooney is featured in this episode on a chunky gold identity bracelet

Another ‘villain’...company called ‘Home Vibe’ (Always the best prices)...arrived in my Inbox advertising the ‘new normal’ essentials such as 500ml of Disinfectant for £12.99 (reduced allegedly from £49.99) and 100ml of Hand Sanitiser for £9.99 (reduced from £29.99).
    Yeah right! Remember the name, hope there is karma and they reap what they sow sometime very soon.

P.S. Sorry mac...hadn’t read your post first. Entirely agree...again you provide the voice of reason.[/QUOTE]

MA even!

Another ‘villain’...company called ‘Home Vibe’ (Always the best prices)...arrived in my Inbox advertising the ‘new normal’ essentials such as 500ml of Disinfectant for £12.99 (reduced allegedly from £49.99) and 100ml of Hand Sanitiser for £9.99 (reduced from £29.99).
    Yeah right! Remember the name, hope there is karma and they reap what they sow sometime very soon.
    With a name like "home vibe" I was assuming you were buying something for your missus....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Much is said of the poor way the government are handling COVID 19 but hindsight is a marvellous thing.

I'm subscribed to the government covid email alert system, and I have to say that a huge amount of work is going on behind the scenes that does not make the headlines as its not ***y enough.

I believe that the crisis is being handled well given the lack of real understanding of the enemy and, whilst one can argue that things might have been handled differently, nobody really knows (and certainly didn't know contemporaneously) how best to react.

So it's unfair in my view to criticise the government response and characterise it as a chocolate teapot. What we need is a unified approach across party lines, not one littered by political point scoring as characterised by Senor Corbyn's "I would have done it better" nitpicking': of course you would JC, because it's easy to sit back and criticise when you haven't had to make any decisions yourself.

If we are let down, then it is by politicians not governments. Had Corbyn been in power, then I'm sure the Tories would be nit picking too. We need a unified joined up approach from our leadership who have to put the health of the nation ahead of bitch fighting. And we need social media shut down or shut up, fomenting panic as it does.

We have to put this in perspective though and avoid knee jerk reactions which could cause greater long term damage to the country whilst not lose sight of the fact that this is a battle for planetary control 😉.

I suppose the good news is that if we lose the battle we won't have to worry about global warming any more.
    I think criticism of a lack of certainty, as in pubs and cafes etc should close would be better. Also there is much that can be done re keeping workers paid, who are even now being laid off or being made redundant, some sensible suggestions today from MP's re using the tax system and making benefit payments quicker and they knew weeks ago that they might have to close schools, you would think that they would then have plans re children of key workers and exams?

I for one am not impressed by Johnson's handling of the crisis, he is not a leader that inspires confidence and looks like he isn't quite as keen on being PM as he was! Still I guess he is better than Trump, not that I'm sure thats a ringing endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I went into three 'corner shops' yesterday, two of which had ex-Costco toilet roll on sale at up to three times the usual price. God bless the third one though, he has a stash of essentials 'under the counter' at normal prices for regulars. He counts me as one such because I call in for a pint of milk every weekday at the moment. Without even a hint of irony he told me he was using the space where he used to keep his hard core **** videos....
    I just walked into the local Lidl this afternoon and picked up a 9 pack for the usual price. Very sensibly they introduced rationing early on and as a consequence haven't been cleaned out by the selfish arsehole brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    With a name like "home vibe" I was assuming you were buying something for your missus....
    A not altogether unreasonable assumption these days.

‘Selfish (but presumably clean) arsehole brigade’, I’d assume, Swale.

Anyone doubting the levels of selfishness in modern day Britain should look at the cost of bog roll on Amazon.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 19-03-2020 at 11:00 PM.

A not altogether unreasonable assumption these days.

‘Selfish (but presumably clean) arsehole brigade’, I’d assume, Swale.

Anyone doubting the levels of selfishness in modern day Britain should look at the cost of bog roll on Amazon.
    Perhaps having been told to sneeze into their elbows they can't tell their elbow from their arse?

Apparently there's a shortage of baby milk powder and some gits are selling one tin (11 to 14 quid) for £200 or more on eBay!! ****bags!!
    At the local Asda there were several hundred waiting before it opened at 6am and by 7-30 they had gone leaving all the shelves stripped bare!! Tossers!!
    So, it would seem this country is made up of arseholes and scumbags!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)