+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Heroes and Villains

O/T Heroes and Villains

We all know there’s been plenty of opportunist money grabbing, racketeering b*st***s emerging from the current crisis but the good news is there are some heroes too. Many are humble workers serving the public in the front line, but another has emerged tonight.
    Gary Neville, and Ryan Giggs I think, have announced that they are to make their two Manchester hotels (176 beds) available free to health workers.
    Never one of my favourite footballers - not a fan of MUFC - I think that’s brilliant on his/their part. Great example and an wonderful example of moral leadership.
    Time a few others followed such an example.

Best move of his career.... top marks to Gary n Giggsy.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    We all know there’s been plenty of opportunist money grabbing, racketeering b*st***s emerging from the current crisis but the good news is there are some heroes too. Many are humble workers serving the public in the front line, but another has emerged tonight.
    Gary Neville, and Ryan Giggs I think, have announced that they are to make their two Manchester hotels (176 beds) available free to health workers.
    Never one of my favourite footballers - not a fan of MUFC - I think that’s brilliant on his/their part. Great example and an wonderful example of moral leadership.
    Time a few others followed such an example.
    Heroes? They'd be heroes if they'd opened hostels for the homeless rather than hotels for their own colossal wealth.

Take your point ARAb...but just at this precise moment I think they’re doing something much more positive and showing a much better example than many.
    At this moment in time they are at least sacrificing some of their wealth to do something to help.
    Abramovich too is doing the same thing apparently. Personally I think he’s obscenely wealthy but at least he’s now doing something positive.
    If the private health service would show the same level of something at least approaching altruism we might all be in a better place.

I believe Swale is opening up Swale Towers, bought from massive gains on Brexit planning, to NHS workers from all over the eu.

I'm not entirely sure if it's free though

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I believe Swale is opening up Swale Towers, bought from massive gains on Brexit planning, to NHS workers from all over the eu.

I'm not entirely sure if it's free though
    Same is true of the Ramjet Estate in your neck of the woods isn’t it, GP?

I expect Tricky expects me to make Chatsworth available soon too.

On the subject of Heroes and Villains...I think we should make a list...Heroes...Chocolate Teapots and Villains.

I’ve started the Heroes list, which should also include all shop and public health/transport workers.

Williamson, Johnson, Hancock and the Welsh RU are early candidates for the ‘chocolate tea pot/rabbit in the headlights’ award.

All profiteers are obviously in the ‘Villains’ category but, on a small personal note, I’ll add Sky.
    Today I received notification that my Sky subscription is going up by £6 per month. At a time when they have been unable to show any of the Premier League, Championship football and Rugby League I pay to access they must be having a laugh.
    More sinisterly...at precisely the time that the whole population will become more dependent on home entertainment but have less in the way of income, I think that deserves full on ‘Villain’ status.

Feel free to add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Same is true of the Ramjet Estate in your neck of the woods isn’t it, GP?

I expect Tricky expects me to make Chatsworth available soon too.

On the subject of Heroes and Villains...I think we should make a list...Heroes...Chocolate Teapots and Villains.

I’ve started the Heroes list, which should also include all shop and public health/transport workers.

Williamson, Johnson, Hancock and the Welsh RU are early candidates for the ‘chocolate tea pot/rabbit in the headlights’ award.

All profiteers are obviously in the ‘Villains’ category but, on a small personal note, I’ll add Sky.
    Today I received notification that my Sky subscription is going up by £6 per month. At a time when they have been unable to show any of the Premier League, Championship football and Rugby League I pay to access they must be having a laugh.
    More sinisterly...at precisely the time that the whole population will become more dependent on home entertainment but have less in the way of income, I think that deserves full on ‘Villain’ status.

Feel free to add to the list.
    I went into three 'corner shops' yesterday, two of which had ex-Costco toilet roll on sale at up to three times the usual price. God bless the third one though, he has a stash of essentials 'under the counter' at normal prices for regulars. He counts me as one such because I call in for a pint of milk every weekday at the moment. Without even a hint of irony he told me he was using the space where he used to keep his hard core **** videos....

Much is said of the poor way the government are handling COVID 19 but hindsight is a marvellous thing.

I'm subscribed to the government covid email alert system, and I have to say that a huge amount of work is going on behind the scenes that does not make the headlines as its not ***y enough.

I believe that the crisis is being handled well given the lack of real understanding of the enemy and, whilst one can argue that things might have been handled differently, nobody really knows (and certainly didn't know contemporaneously) how best to react.

So it's unfair in my view to criticise the government response and characterise it as a chocolate teapot. What we need is a unified approach across party lines, not one littered by political point scoring as characterised by Senor Corbyn's "I would have done it better" nitpicking': of course you would JC, because it's easy to sit back and criticise when you haven't had to make any decisions yourself.

If we are let down, then it is by politicians not governments. Had Corbyn been in power, then I'm sure the Tories would be nit picking too. We need a unified joined up approach from our leadership who have to put the health of the nation ahead of bitch fighting. And we need social media shut down or shut up, fomenting panic as it does.

We have to put this in perspective though and avoid knee jerk reactions which could cause greater long term damage to the country whilst not lose sight of the fact that this is a battle for planetary control 😉.

I suppose the good news is that if we lose the battle we won't have to worry about global warming any more.

One thing the government should do is to make decisions rather than to "advise". Pubs, clubs, theatres, cinemas etc should be open or they should be shut. The current situation whereby the public is advised to avoid them but the pubs etc are not being told to shut is ridiculous. The advice will result in most getting no financial assistance from the government nor from their insurers and that will see many go bust. They ned to tell the "entertainment" industry to close and that those not covered by the small print in their insurance policies will be covered by the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Much is said of the poor way the government are handling COVID 19 but hindsight is a marvellous thing.

I'm subscribed to the government covid email alert system, and I have to say that a huge amount of work is going on behind the scenes that does not make the headlines as its not ***y enough.

I believe that the crisis is being handled well given the lack of real understanding of the enemy and, whilst one can argue that things might have been handled differently, nobody really knows (and certainly didn't know contemporaneously) how best to react.

So it's unfair in my view to criticise the government response and characterise it as a chocolate teapot. What we need is a unified approach across party lines, not one littered by political point scoring as characterised by Senor Corbyn's "I would have done it better" nitpicking': of course you would JC, because it's easy to sit back and criticise when you haven't had to make any decisions yourself.

If we are let down, then it is by politicians not governments. Had Corbyn been in power, then I'm sure the Tories would be nit picking too. We need a unified joined up approach from our leadership who have to put the health of the nation ahead of bitch fighting. And we need social media shut down or shut up, fomenting panic as it does.

We have to put this in perspective though and avoid knee jerk reactions which could cause greater long term damage to the country whilst not lose sight of the fact that this is a battle for planetary control ��.

I suppose the good news is that if we lose the battle we won't have to worry about global warming any more.
    Accept a lot of that, GP...but...

Hancock totally out of his depth and overshadowed by Hunt’s calm common sense - never thought I’d say that - imo.

Williamson makes an announcement yesterday without any of the details going to Headteachers and the frontline key workers - aka teachers - first. So the schools are shutting tomorrow...except they’re not shutting for kids in particular need...wtf? No one knows!

Johnson...Brexit will carry on and I’m not discussing it...please, in the public interest, don’t go into pubs, clubs and restaurants.

It’s just incompetent leadership imo. He was shaking hands with all and sundry less than two weeks ago while telling others not to...he’s in denial about Brexit, just as the Japanese are about the Olympics, and if the pubs, clubs and restaurants are best closed then TELL them...don’t ‘kin suggest it. That is the job of leadership, or is this hesitancy all to do with protecting the Insurance companies?

Just like the football, the Euros, the rugby...the Olympics and Brexit will have to be postponed...at best.

P.S. Sorry mac...hadn’t read your post first. Entirely agree...again you provide the voice of reason.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 19-03-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)