Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
Been lucky to live through what will probably end up being the greatest ever period in our clubs history. So many outstanding players,performances & results. There was a time in the 80s when I expected United to be able to beat any team at any level. Man Utd,Monaco,Anderlecht,Barca. Made no difference Utd could & would put them to the sword. But for me the one that tops them all was Borussia at Tannadice. 2-0 down from the first leg I still turned up full of confidence & right from kick off united produced the most attack minded performance I have ever witnessed. They were relentles & lethal right from the kick off that night & it was all topped off by the most magical goal scored by my all time favourite United player(clues in the name). A glorious rapier of a run from the halfway mark leaving the opposition in his wake. Final score 5-0 (5-2 agg) & it could have been more. Glory Days indeed & sadly unlikely to ever be seen again. Thanks for the memory United & especially the mighty Mr. Bannon.
Was lucky enough to witness all these home games in europe. Think it was this game that bobby Robson who was manager of Ipswich at the time i think? sent wee jim a letter congratulating him and his team for such an impressive result against a team that his players “couldnt spell their name never mind beat them 5-0.”Class comment from a very respected football man.