+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite match ever ...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Because for every 1994 and 3-0 at Ibrox, Golac’s teams produced some right guff. Don’t get me wrong, he is still a legend and maybe the right man for the right time when it came to laying to rest the Hoodoo, but (controversially I know) a lot of the time otherwise he could be a clueless halfwit.

Asides from the obvious ones, the game I would love to re-live would have to be the 5-1 Scottish Cup massacre of the Funny Lot in 1980 with four goal Wullie P and all that. That was the night that the Baton Of Superiority was (if not already) passed from one side of the divide to the other. And it’s remained Tangerine ever since.
    The Baton of Superiority was indeed passed earlier James, 15 years earlier.
    The Dens Park Massacre of '65 was the turn of the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
    Been lucky to live through what will probably end up being the greatest ever period in our clubs history. So many outstanding players,performances & results. There was a time in the 80s when I expected United to be able to beat any team at any level. Man Utd,Monaco,Anderlecht,Barca. Made no difference Utd could & would put them to the sword. But for me the one that tops them all was Borussia at Tannadice. 2-0 down from the first leg I still turned up full of confidence & right from kick off united produced the most attack minded performance I have ever witnessed. They were relentles & lethal right from the kick off that night & it was all topped off by the most magical goal scored by my all time favourite United player(clues in the name). A glorious rapier of a run from the halfway mark leaving the opposition in his wake. Final score 5-0 (5-2 agg) & it could have been more. Glory Days indeed & sadly unlikely to ever be seen again. Thanks for the memory United & especially the mighty Mr. Bannon.
    Goosebumps just thinking about that game all these years later and the packed crowd singing as one... 'What a team, what a team, what a team'!!

Been lucky to live through what will probably end up being the greatest ever period in our clubs history. So many outstanding players,performances & results. There was a time in the 80s when I expected United to be able to beat any team at any level. Man Utd,Monaco,Anderlecht,Barca. Made no difference Utd could & would put them to the sword. But for me the one that tops them all was Borussia at Tannadice. 2-0 down from the first leg I still turned up full of confidence & right from kick off united produced the most attack minded performance I have ever witnessed. They were relentles & lethal right from the kick off that night & it was all topped off by the most magical goal scored by my all time favourite United player(clues in the name). A glorious rapier of a run from the halfway mark leaving the opposition in his wake. Final score 5-0 (5-2 agg) & it could have been more. Glory Days indeed & sadly unlikely to ever be seen again. Thanks for the memory United & especially the mighty Mr. Bannon.
    Have to agree sir, this is the greatest home performance from a United team at Tannadice I’ve ever had the privilege to witness.
    I was a seven**** year old spotty **** at the time who was totally gobsmacked by United’s display that night
    Bannon’s goal was a thing of beauty
    Your were able to swap ends in those days so had a great view of all 5 goals
    What a night

Was lucky enough to witness all these home games in europe. Think it was this game that bobby Robson who was manager of Ipswich at the time i think? sent wee jim a letter congratulating him and his team for such an impressive result against a team that his players “couldnt spell their name never mind beat them 5-0.”Class comment from a very respected football man.

I did enjoy gong to Ibrox to play in the semifinal of the cup against the newly formed team "The Rangers".
    The SFA decided the neutral venue for this match would be Ibrox.
    Ciftci celebrated the third goal before he scored - sweet.

When Foster broke up one move and passed back to Simonsen, the goalkeeper hesitated before stubbing the ball straight at Ciftci. The striker rounded the stricken goalkeeper and was celebrating even before he rolled the ball into the empty net.

We sang "you're not Rangers any more" which apparently hit a nerve.
    Making zombi gestures seemed to hit home the message.

The R. 1 Dundee U. 3

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cp..._armstrong.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)