+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Box sets

Our own Vicky McClure in the This is England series was ace.

Just binge watched 'The English game' on netflix and its well worth a watch for any footie fan. its the early days of the FA cup, toffs v the working man a great story, Notts get a few mentions and theres a beautiful line in episode 5 when the old etonians having just drawn notts in the semi are having a heated discussion about the working classes muscling their way into the game and the Etonian captain says 'shall we get on with it? im sure notts county arent just standing around talking about politics'

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    Just binge watched 'The English game' on netflix and its well worth a watch for any footie fan. its the early days of the FA cup, toffs v the working man a great story, Notts get a few mentions and theres a beautiful line in episode 5 when the old etonians having just drawn notts in the semi are having a heated discussion about the working classes muscling their way into the game and the Etonian captain says 'shall we get on with it? im sure notts county arent just standing around talking about politics'
    Indeed, the politics is just on Notts County Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    The Bridge....there are 2 versions, and I am assuming you are talking about the one set in Denmark-Sweden? 38 episodes which I have not seen, yet.....but there is a Mexican one set on the El Paso-Juarez bridge and border....only 26 episodes, again it starts off really well (being co-written by the same woman that co-wrote Homeland, ie obligatory leading role of a female lead-cop with mental issues!) but the viewing figures tailed off in the 2nd series and further episodes cancelled......I enjoyed it anyway, some seriously creepy moments (stupid white chancer decides to use one of El Chapo's secret tunnels to smuggle a bit of his own dope on the side, bumps into El Chapo coming the other way in crowded tunnel, dragging a hand-cuffed man that he needs to torture....."good morning" says El Chapo as they pass each other).....hahahaha......1 minute trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v9H-Rk0s4o
    Yes, I was talking about the Scandinavian version. There’s also a British version called The Tunnel, but I’ve not seen that one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bridpie78 View Post
    Just finished watching it mate, very enjoyable. Fergus Suter !

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    So many good shows listed here - convinced me to watch Gomorrah (and just as they’re knocking the rest of “the sails” down).

A few others...

Scandi-Noir (ie, The Killing - season 1 in particular; The Bridge; Trapped)

The Leftovers (absolutely loved this show about a post-rapture-type event, season 2 is just amazing)

Sharp Objects (only one season, very dark thriller)

Endeavour (good old-fashioned crime mysteries)

Happy Valley (2 seasons), got to love Sarah Lancashire)

Deutschland 83/86 (great thriller about an East German spy in the west)

The Thick of It and Veep (from the genius mind of Armando Iannucci - he did a brilliant talk at Broadway about a decade ago)

The four seasons of The Trip with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon

And, given that I’m out here in Israel, I should recommend a few local shows - Prisoners of War (the show Homeland is based on), Our Boys and Fauda (the latter is definitely on Netflix)
    Grrrr......just tried your recommendation of the Leftovers......I hadn't got a clue about what was going on for the first 5 hours...people vanished, lots of people in white clothes, winding everyone else up and chain-smoking, lots of violence, dogs getting shot, sleep-walking and dead people following you talking to you? and a black guy hugging you to "ease the pain".......I thought this was the worst ever series, EVER, and I've watched dozens......anyway, stuck with it to the 2nd series and it is getting slightly more comprehensible.

Up to the point that the priest has decided to strip naked, climbed onto to the roof of a caravan, outside Miracle, and be chained head and foot while everyone abuses him (just after he had to hit someone with a wooden oar, whilst shouting something obscure?)

Please, please can someone tell me what I'm watching!!

Grrrr......just tried your recommendation of the Leftovers......I hadn't got a clue about what was going on for the first 5 hours...people vanished, lots of people in white clothes, winding everyone else up and chain-smoking, lots of violence, dogs getting shot, sleep-walking and dead people following you talking to you? and a black guy hugging you to "ease the pain".......I thought this was the worst ever series, EVER, and I've watched dozens......anyway, stuck with it to the 2nd series and it is getting slightly more comprehensible.

Up to the point that the priest has decided to strip naked, climbed onto to the roof of a caravan, outside Miracle, and be chained head and foot while everyone abuses him (just after he had to hit someone with a wooden oar, whilst shouting something obscure?)

Series 2 episode 8......the hero has to kill himself to "fight his personal demon", so when he "crosses over" exits via the bathtub, chooses to be an international spy and has to assassinate the US presidential front-runner....all the time evading assassins trying to retaliate.... the guy who "sent him across" by (poisoning him), also decided to kill himself (bullet through brain) and is now the desk-clerk in the hotel with no hope of returning to Miracle because his other "real" body is technically uninhabitable?....I am seriously confused.

ps the music is good, but the writer was on a serious "downer" when he penned this "Alice in Wonderland visits Twin Peaks" literary masterpiece.

Well, it sure ain't OFAH

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Indeed, the politics is just on Notts County Mad.
    Are they? I hadn't noticed

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Another one I really enjoyed from a few years ago if you can find it is Banshee.
    Banshee was superb.....some of the best action scenes seen on TV (especially the fight in and out of the car in the last series)!

Just finished watching the Watchmen series....stated off brilliant but then turned very weird!

The Bridge is another cracking series (not enough leading women in leather strides if you ask me)!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast