+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Back To Better Times

Thinking Back To Better Times

Our resident writer Dave Thornley goes all nostalgic to beat the "no footie" boredom. - External Link

Hi all,

This might be a great thread for everyone to share their first games watching the Clarets?

Phook me ,I can't remember what happened this morning,never mind 65 years ago.!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Hi all,

This might be a great thread for everyone to share their first games watching the Clarets?
    My first game BT was that classic 7-2 at the Turf in April 1964 against the mighty Spurs Blanchflower Greaves and all. I am also strongly drawn to the home game against Oxford United in December 1999. My son-in -law had yet to see a Burnley victory so this was his last chance in the 1900s. Was this actually the last EFL game played anywhere in that century? Things did not look promising as we trailed Oxford with ten minutes to go but Andy Payton scored twice late on to complete a stunning hat trick. One of my treasured possessions is a photo of myself & my granddaughter celebrating our 3-2 win at the end of the match. I still have the same hat though this has been retired from active service!Name:  388631EB-BB28-45D8-9815-8EB56BF28396.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  18.1 KB

I am the same as Alfi. Phook me ,I can't remember what I had for breakfast or lunch yesterday ,never mind 65 years ago.!!.....or was it 120 years ago??

3rd April 1962. At home to Nottm Forest. I was nine years old.

We were top of the league and going for the double.

My Dad had been watching the Clarets since the 40's and I remember waiting for him to come home after a match to give me a report of how brilliantly we had played. Then one day he asked me if I would like to go. I remember the feeling of incredible excitement - it really felt like a rite of passage.

The game was on Tuesday night and the day at school really dragged by until finally it was time to go home for tea.

We caught a bus from Rawtenstall (one of dozens that used to take fans to the match in those days) and it was rammed with excited Claret fans. The walk from the bus station , down Brunshaw Road, was incredible. These people were all Burnley fans and I felt part of it.
    When we took our place in the Longside my breath was taken away at the scene. The stadium looked massive - I had never been in the middle of a crowd like that. The grass looked bright green, the smell of tobacco added another dimension and the noise was incredible.
    And then the players came out to a deafening roar. I recognised them all from the football magazines and posters that I had in my bedroom.
    When I actually saw the players wearing claret and blue shirts I had a tremendous feeling of pride.
    I don't remember very much about the game. I struggled to see much of it because I was surrounded by bigger people, but the experience was almost overwhelming.
    The game ended in a 0-0 draw and we subsequently collapsed in the last few weeks allowing Ipswich to pip us for the title, and Spurs to beat us in the Cup Final.
    I hope that you won't blame it on me for jinxing the team.

Strange how you can't remember things from yesterday but certain things stick in your mind.

My Dad was a Man U fan but I think he was a bit wary of taking me to Old Trafford.I was about 7 and he and my uncle decided they would take me to Burnley.We sat in the stand above the Enclosure to watch the game against Newcastle,must have been around 1954.Newcastle won 1-0 with a goal from Jackie Milburn.I was hooked and after that he occasionally took me and we went in the enclosure,we got there early so that I could get to the front.Main games in those days were against Spurs,they had a good team.

Occasionally after evening games I used to look out of my bedroom window to watch the coaches going past after the game.

The first game my dad took me to, I think, was a Cup replay against Bristol Rovers one Tuesday night around 1952/53, but it's the memory bit that intrigues me, just how reliable is it ?

I went to the 62 Cup Final and was surprised to see some photos a couple of years back of the team coming down the steps after getting their losers medals, it was clearly raining, but if you'd asked me I'd have said it was decent weather that day, I have no recollection of it raining. And then last week a similar experience, I was watching an hour's highlights of our Wembley play-off game on Sky and was surprised to see Wade's shot curling into the net at around 12 minutes. I could have sworn it was past the half hour mark when we scored, I was there myself, I've got the DVD of the game and seen it a few times, but despite that I'd got the time of our goal totally wrong in my head. How much can you trust your memory ?

If first games be lost in the mists of time and the failings of those little grey cells then how about one of your favourite games? I look back to the 1994 Play Off Final v Stockport County. I had been to Wembley in 88 for the Wolves game and a great day out it was but we had been well beaten. Was this the time to see a first Burnley win in a Wembley final? We had been outnumbered by the Wolves fans 6 years previously but this time Wembley was a sea of Claret and Blue and fevered anticipation as the game kicked off. Hopes were quickly rocked by a Stockport goal in just the second minute. That was just the start to a game that had just about everything. Two County players sent off. A scything run from David Eyres that he finished with a fine shot into the corner of the net. I didn’t even see the goal because of a restricted view but the roar of the crowd was magical. The winner from Parky that looped up and took an eternity to find its way in. Shredded nerves as we failed time and time again to finish off the nine men of Stockport. How many chances did we miss? Would Lurch make us pay for that profligacy? And finally the relief and the sheer joy at that final whistle.

Here is another favourite. Again v Stockport County. The Paul Barnes show.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-NG9jPTI8gA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)