+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Burrows to the Beeb

Burrows to the Beeb

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51987591

I didn't hear it on Sportsound so the way he said it could obviously infer a lot of meaining...but purely from reading the quotes at face value, an SPFL board member talking of "having the season completed before the end of June [UEFA deadline]" as "very optimistic" and waiting on government advice before we "decide what we're going to do here in terms of playing out the season or if it is finished, how it is decided," suggests to me the high heid yins are preparing to call it a day on this term.

I'm actually changing my mind on the priority we have as this thing seems set to drag out longer so to me that's no bad thing. A season going on for months with contracts all over the place is meaningless anyway. If you can find an accepted way of binning this season to get next season started vaguely on time and played semi-properly, it's surely better having only one ruined campaign rather than two?

Yes, the longer this season drags on the worse it will become and , inevitably, it would affect next season also. We have to find a way to bring the 2019-20 season to an end. Vested interests will, of course, play a part in the eventual outcome.

If based entirely on self-interest:

Alan Burrows (Motherwell) and Ewen Cameron (Alloa Athletic) would want the season to stand as is and not care what happens with play-offs.

Les Gray (Hamilton Academical) and Ken Ferguson (Brechin City) would want the season to stand as is with no play-offs.

Ross McArthur (Dunfermline Athletic) and Peter Davidson (Montrose) and would want the season to stand as is with play-offs.

Stewart Robertson (Rangers) would want the season voided.

There are then the various non-club representatives .

Tbh it's impossible to predict but I don't see how you can have play-offs in this situation if you don't get to the end of the league season. So one up, one down everywhere with no relegation from League 2, a bit of compensation paid to those unable to get their chance in the play-offs and possibly the sweetener of an extra promotion spot next season would be as simple compromise as you could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    If based entirely on self-interest:

Alan Burrows (Motherwell) and Ewen Cameron (Alloa Athletic) would want the season to stand as is and not care what happens with play-offs.

Les Gray (Hamilton Academical) and Ken Ferguson (Brechin City) would want the season to stand as is with no play-offs.

Ross McArthur (Dunfermline Athletic) and Peter Davidson (Montrose) and would want the season to stand as is with play-offs.

Stewart Robertson (Rangers) would want the season voided.

There are then the various non-club representatives .

Tbh it's impossible to predict but I don't see how you can have play-offs in this situation if you don't get to the end of the league season. So one up, one down everywhere with no relegation from League 2, a bit of compensation paid to those unable to get their chance in the play-offs and possibly the sweetener of an extra promotion spot next season would be as simple compromise as you could get.
    Now that the full social and economic impact of this is dawning on more and more people, it's very hard to see how the fixtures will be completed - as an earlier poster surmised, the contract situation alone will probably force a decision to call a halt. There will be one enormous rammy about the arrangements under which the season is ended - there's absolutely nothing funny or amusing (I'm 77) about the trouble we're in, but I'm prepared to have a wry smile when clubs who have never previously let 'sporting integrity' bother them, start to mention it in support of their case.
    This isn't just going to the wire, it's going to the courts. Especially elsewhere if Liverpool are done out of the EPL title.

Dunno, if it goes to the courts arguably no one plays until it's settled and what's the point of that? I've not looked at the English rules but in Scotland to my unlearned eye it's pretty clear the SPFL board can do what it wants - so Hearts/Dundee United will threaten a challenge but will be bought off easily enough.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)