+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Credit Where Due!

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Well I didn't know exactly what you meant and if you or anyone else is trying to pin this primarily on teachers then you, and anyone else and I are going to fall out big time. Not as I suppose this overly concerns either of us.

My wife is a retired Primary Head and my daughter is a primary school teacher so this subject is a red hot topic in our household.

Let's start from our day when if you got a clip around earhole and went home and told mum or dad you were likely to get another clip unless there was a damn good reason not to. Contrast that with now.

My wife retired 10 years ago a bit earlier than she planned to. No1 reason was the grief she got from some parents and lack of support from authority with regards to discipline. She demanded high standards and old fashioned values such as good manners. She dragged the school up the league tables but although supported by the many there were enough parents who bleated their Johnny or more likely Kai or Kayden was having too much pressure put on them. So sick of lack of support she left.

My daughter's colleague was left a mental wreck after an incident. A 10 year old boy accused her of physically assaulting him (grabbing him by the collar.) Lad's single mum went first to the playground mafia known as a facebook group with the accusation. Teacher was put on suspension until a formal investigation was arranged. It took 3 weeks during which teacher was off school with stress.There were no witnesses but fortunately there were so many inconsistencies in the child's story the case was dismissed. So who won? The mother had 2 more kids at the school and continued to gossip and post with her cronies in the playground. Teacher of course had no right of reply and traumatised by the situation left the school. My own daughter who always saw teaching as her own vocation now wants to leave the profession after just 5 years And what happened to the child. Nothing, zilch, f all. Mom and cronies and his mates all seem to think he has done something clever by stitching up this poor girl!

All I will add is in another 10 years that lad will be one of the chavs that we talking about on this thread. Teachers would love to introduce more discipline*into classrooms but I promise you the odds are stacked against them.

On a slightly different note did you know kids are now being sent to school not potty trained. In our time you were expected to have it sorted around 2 yo I think. The modern thinking is that today's children shouldn't be stressed by having to learn how to go to the toilet. Result is next door's 4 year old grandaughter thinks it great fun to go when and wherever in their house. My wife's mate has the same problem with her grandchild.So in our day teachers were there to teach us to read and write you can now include where to p1ss and sh1t in lessons.

When I hear this I feel like giving up and are not surprised when so many teachers do.

After all if toilet training is a bit to stressy for their little darlings what hope is there for a bit of discipline?

Totally can see exactly where you are coming from. My wife’s mother is a retired head and was a very good one at that and gave up with the pressure and demands. She very much liked working in schools to help the poorer kids but that was the problem! Parents were using the F word for their little Jonny getting too much homework or being shouted at etc etc. The abuse she received was awful and no back up!

The old saying is so true sadly - schools are better in nicer areas because they are self selecting with loving and educated parents whose kids attend and want to learn. Kids are a product of their parent and adopt their values. If a parent tells a teacher to f uck off or discourages work or gives any attention to a child - what chance do many have?

So sad as she loved her job but it’s the snowflakes who are above!!! At my daughters previous school there was a science teacher who taught kids of 10 years of age - best science teacher ever for this age group and used old and tested methods like Bunsen burners etc - one day as a few of the kids were so naughty he kicked a chair out of frustration. Teaching career over and so sad.

I meet friends in the US every July and one is a teacher - when I told her the starting salary of a teacher in the UK she was absolutely shocked!!!

For teachers who dedicate their love to kids and spend three years at university - they should be on double the pay!
    Last edited by baggieal; 25-03-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    I think its really simple. If you have a business you have to decide if it can operate following the rules. 6ft distance from co workers. Some MP's are calling for just "Essential businesses" to operate but to be fair some non essential businesses could be less of a disease transmission risk than essential workers. To stop a business from operating when it is safely working wouldn't make sense. Its a decision for all businesses to make. Hairdressing for example is impossible to do from 6ft. Window cleaning can be done with no contact with customers if its only outside, so you would cancel any inside work....unless its an empty property. Common sense.
    When put so plain and simple I agree Boingy, it’s crystal clear......

....and then there’s those two little words you finished on.

The way I see it the country consists of five categories when it comes to this virus.

1) People in a state of complete panic, boardering on hysteria.

2) Moderate, sensible individuals who are taking the correct precautions.

3) Decent folk but blissfully unaware of what could potentially unfold.

4) Arrogant, ignorant, self centred 5h1t for brained loose cannons.

5) Too thick to know the difference between day and night.

The problem for me Boingy, as a 2er I’m seeing too many 3’s, 4’s and 5’s for my liking. Therefore giving the green light for 5 million Self Employed to make up there own mind up in many cases is like saying let’s lower the legal drinking age to 12. I’m not labelling the Self Employed, why would I im one myself but asking a body of people so large to decide for themselves is NOT lockdown, bearing in mind one person can infect four hundred, do the maths.

Then there’s the trade off between financial well being and health. Some must be going to work because they live from month to month and if their employer says you won’t be paid for not turning in then naturally people are feeling forced to go in. Hopefully the government will clarify some concerns with their impending announcement.

I agree if you can carry out your job in isolation, fair enough, go and crack on. My Gardener friend who called me this evening to talk wanted my thoughts. My advice was sift through your regulars, decide who you work for without being close to anyone, arrange for electronic payment or agree on a safe and secure place to hide your money and see how that goes, that way he keeps the wolf from the door.

Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones, I can shut down and absorb the hit for a month or two as I’d like to think being ‘careful’ will serve me well. Even so, I can only do it for so long, then I will be facing the same dilemma as my Gardener friend. I don’t think the government will be giving ‘owt for nowt’ so I’m of the opinion I go into survival mode and look after the lad who serves me well. From a health perspective I could be looking at going back to work when the virus is more prolific than ever, what then?

So, again.....LOCKDOWN EVERYONE but key workers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post

The way I see it the country consists of five categories when it comes to this virus.

The problem for me Boingy, as a 2er I’m seeing too many 3’s, 4’s and 5’s for my liking. Therefore giving the green light for 5 million Self Employed to make up there own mind up in many cases is like saying let’s lower the legal drinking age to 12. I’m not labelling the Self Employed, why would I im one myself but asking a body of people so large to decide for themselves is NOT lockdown, bearing in mind one person can infect four hundred, do the maths.

Then there’s the trade off between financial well being and health. Some must be going to work because they live from month to month and if their employer says you won’t be paid for not turning in then naturally people are feeling forced to go in. Hopefully the government will clarify some concerns with their impending announcement.

I agree if you can carry out your job in isolation, fair enough, go and crack on. My Gardener friend who called me this evening to talk wanted my thoughts. My advice was sift through your regulars, decide who you work for without being close to anyone, arrange for electronic payment or agree on a safe and secure place to hide your money and see how that goes, that way he keeps the wolf from the door.

Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones, I can shut down and absorb the hit for a month or two as I’d like to think being ‘careful’ will serve me well. Even so, I can only do it for so long, then I will be facing the same dilemma as my Gardener friend. I don’t think the government will be giving ‘owt for nowt’ so I’m of the opinion I go into survival mode and look after the lad who serves me well. From a health perspective I could be looking at going back to work when the virus is more prolific than ever, what then?

What a brilliant post

“I’m seeing too many 3s,4s and 5s” 😆😆😆

I’m a 2 bordering On a 1 Minn but I could swiftly become a fully fledged 1 🤔😏

Do you do building work mate?

I live at Chaddesley Corbett and I need some stuff doing building wise in my garden and new gates and a front garden wall.

I’m sure we could get around the present circumstances should a deal be struck.

If you’re interested in looking let me know?

A school needs a very strong Headteacher. the last school (secondary) that I taught in had a weak one. We had a maths teacher in school , the salt off the earth, he had all the difficult classes and spent much time outside school hours doing outward bound activities. He took children on canoe trips, climbing, camping, swimming, skiing etc.

In the class room one day a pupil swore at him. He shouted at the boy who was 14 and told him to get back in his seat. The following day the parent arrived at the heads office shouting his mouth off. He did not like the fact that his son had been shouted at.

The Head sorted the problem out by suspending the teacher for a week.

What chance have you got. No wonder society is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    What a brilliant post

“I’m seeing too many 3s,4s and 5s” 😆😆😆

I’m a 2 bordering On a 1 Minn but I could swiftly become a fully fledged 1 🤔😏

Do you do building work mate?

I live at Chaddesley Corbett and I need some stuff doing building wise in my garden and new gates and a front garden wall.

I’m sure we could get around the present circumstances should a deal be struck.

If you’re interested in looking let me know?
    I live with a ‘1er’ Mick so I know all the signs 😁

I’m not a builder mate, I could probably put you in touch with a decent one, I know one in Stourbridge I’d happily recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    A school needs a very strong Headteacher. the last school (secondary) that I taught in had a weak one. We had a maths teacher in school , the salt off the earth, he had all the difficult classes and spent much time outside school hours doing outward bound activities. He took children on canoe trips, climbing, camping, swimming, skiing etc.

In the class room one day a pupil swore at him. He shouted at the boy who was 14 and told him to get back in his seat. The following day the parent arrived at the heads office shouting his mouth off. He did not like the fact that his son had been shouted at.

The Head sorted the problem out by suspending the teacher for a week.

What chance have you got. No wonder society is what it is.

You are so right abbobrom! In my day - if you were rude to a teacher and was punished your parent would give you another dig!

You are also right about weak teachers too - this weakness is exploited by horrible kids. I would pay starting salaries for teachers double for what they do ( three years at uni for **** sake ) but there should be more training on discipline and not showing weakness in the classroom. Weak people in all walks of life tend to be walked over and in many forms of employment this is spotted in the recruitment stage.

Schools need good strong leaders ( heads ) as does any business with managers/directors leading staff by example.

I don’t disagree with a single point you’ve made.

There’s no doubt teachers hands have been tied by the “PC” culture that’s crushed this nation over the last 30 years.

Social Media is a vile evil in the hands of the sorts of lowlife parents and family of the people you describe.

I don’t understand why a mobile phone is allowed during school hours,in my opinion mobiles should be locked up on the way in and allowed as kids leave school.

Regarding teaching.

We all know the teachers we respected and 40 odd years later we still remember their wise words and example. Teachers need to be told to uphold a strong ethic and not to be too keen to be “close/matey” with pupils......our best teachers were good people but with a no nonsense default position.

I’m sure your wife would agree with this 923.........there’s a % of poor teachers out there and I’ll bet as a head teacher she had to deal with many during her time.

Potty training.

I know this and it’s disgusting parenting.

My 3 1/2 year old granddaughter ( known affectionately in the family as the pumpkin 🎃 due to the shape her mum was at 8 months! ) was on the potty at 2 1/2 and now toilet trained albeit this means numerous unwarranted toilet visits due to her being so pleased with her newfound skill 😆

My 2 and a bit grandson is already mastering pointing Percy at the porcelain 😎

We do things properly in our family.......sadly,the issue we have discussed is due to people who don’t understand the concept of making an effort at anything other than updating their status on FB or being on Plenty of Fish!
    She would 100% agree with you there are bad teachers out there just there are bad brickies, doctors or policeman. From listening to her tales it is far more difficult to get rid of a bad teacher than someone in industry.

Going back to your earlier comment about teachers fighting in WW11 the 2 teachers that stand out for me as being disciplinarians that so scared me I wouldn't dream of being naughty was Mrs Weaver and Mrs Pearce neither of whom fought in the war. Had they had done so I'm sure we would have won earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by The Minn Junta View Post

Great post.

Physically I'm a No.2 doing exactly what I am told

Mentally I'm a bit of a No.3 I haven't been able to take in what is heading towards us.
    That all changed this afternoon when I heard The Archers are reducing the number of episodes per week. I've gained another 15 mins per week in my life but the day the Archers stop tum ti tum ti tummimg is a serious day indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Great post.

Physically I'm a No.2 doing exactly what I am told

Mentally I'm a bit of a No.3 I haven't been able to take in what is heading towards us.
    That all changed this afternoon when I heard The Archers are reducing the number of episodes per week. I've gained another 15 mins per week in my life but the day the Archers stop tum ti tum ti tummimg is a serious day indeed.
    I worked for Hepworth Menswear in Stourbridge from 78-84 and had the pleasure of serving an old guy called Chris Gittins who played Walter Gabriel for 35 years in The Archers......Chris was a lovely old chap.

I then worked for Ashfords Frozen Foods of Stourbridge as a rep in the mid 80’s and worked with Eddie Grundy’s dad......a lovely bloke called Eric Harrison.

It’s a funny old world ain’t it 🤔😆

I worked for Hepworth Menswear in Stourbridge from 78-84 and had the pleasure of serving an old guy called Chris Gittins who played Walter Gabriel for 35 years in The Archers......Chris was a lovely old chap.

I then worked for Ashfords Frozen Foods of Stourbridge as a rep in the mid 80’s and worked with Eddie Grundy’s dad......a lovely bloke called Eric Harrison.

It’s a funny old world ain’t it ����
    I was starting to write and tell you Eddie Grundy's dad Joe had died last year before I put my brain in gear.

clip featuring Walter Gabriel. What a unique voice

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p03xgwmd

was it you sold him the offending article?

Only on BaggiesBanter could a thread go from Boris as a leader to Walter Gabriel's itchy trousers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)